• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The best file size for product images?

julesrogers

Hi. I am trying to create my catalog and just wondering what the most optimum size of photo (pixel size I guess) is. I have created them 800 pixels square. When I go to my catalog they are so big that you can not read the product information because other pictures are covering it up. I read somewhere in the forum archives that you shoud change images to view at 60%???

Any information and help anyone can give me would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Jesus, 800 pixels is bigger then some resolutions can handle.

Open it in photoshop, click edit, image size, change the with too like 100 -150 pixels and the height will auto adjust. Then file save for the web. Should be under a second load time.

Web safe veiwing for a 800 X 600 resolution is no more then 750 wide(recomended).... Horizontal scrolling will drive people away from your site. Vertical however isnt a problem, unless your going down forever.

Good Luck

Hi.  I am trying to create my catalog and just wondering what the most optimum size of photo (pixel size I guess) is.  I have created them 800 pixels square.  When I go to my catalog they are so big that you can not read the product information because other pictures are covering it up. I read somewhere in the forum archives that you shoud change images to view at 60%??? 

Any information and help anyone can give me would be much appreciated! 

Thanks so much!

Well, how long is a piece of string? I'd suggest you use one of the small, medium, large image contributions and make the small (thumbnails) an appropriate size for the product list. the medium image a good size to fit in to your product_info and the large image for the popup can then be as big as you like (within reason of course)

This way you don't have to scale your images up or down.

Light, in the absence of eyes, illuminates nothing.

Archived