• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

oscommerce and emails

zhulien

Hi, I'm sadly still at a loss on how to configure my oscommerce to send emails. I know it needs to use sendmail, but what do I do with it? note: I am self-hosting oscommerce and NOT using an ISP and have no intention of running a mail server, or do I have to run a mailserver? If so, what do you recommend for self-hosted oscommerce installations? [ideally oscommerce would just send emails via my ISPs SMTP server which sounds easy and logical for me, but it doesn't]

ideally oscommerce would just send emails via my ISPs SMTP server which sounds easy and logical for me, but it doesn't

The osCommerce mail function works off 'localhost' - which means the domain it's hosted on. Even if you did manage to use your ISP's mail server all mail would be counted as 'relayed' mail and banned by most incoming mail servers.

Vger

The osCommerce mail function works off 'localhost' - which means the domain it's hosted on.  Even if you did manage to use your ISP's mail server all mail would be counted as 'relayed' mail and banned by most incoming mail servers.

Vger

doesn't that make the email facility of oscommerce useless? is there any other alternatives? [other than having someone else host my environment]

Most hosting companies provide these mail facilities as standard.

Unfortunately osCommerce is just a php based programme, and it's not possible to code it to prevent people from signing up with crap hosting companies.

Vger

Most hosting companies provide these mail facilities as standard. 

Unfortunately osCommerce is just a php based programme, and it's not possible to code it to prevent people from signing up with crap hosting companies.

Vger

Do you have a solution?

I have tried smtp and sendmail, but I don't see any settings for either of these processes other than to choose between the two. My host uses Apache Server and I have an email settings requiring login and password, but I don't see these settings in osc.

Thank you,

Buck

There is a contribution you can apply for those hosting companies with atypical smtp authorisation requirements.

You'll find it here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...all/search,smtp

Most servers require authorisation for smtp mail being sent from your computer, but work fine off localhost for mail sent directly from the domain - so no contribution required. Unfortunately some servers don't get set up too well - and others are just Windoze servers (enough said!).

Vger

Archived