• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Couple of questions

frugal-scrapper

Okay, I have been searching the forum, but I get thousands of results, and after spending an hour or so trying to wade through them, I have decided to just ask.

I spent a week learning everything I needed to do this

www.frugal-scrapbooking.com/shop.html

then realized it wasn't going to work because of the cart I needed. So that is unfinished.

So I got OS thru fantastico from my webhost, who has been incredibly helpful, I might add, but not always available. And I don't want to keep bugging him.

1. I try to change the currency from US to Canadian, or vice versa and the prices all remain the same. Could someone please advise me on how to fix this?

2. Also, I need to edit the test. It is painfully clear that php is NOT html...lol Made that mistake once already! And I don't have FP, nor do I believe my pathetic little puter would be able to handle it (4 GB!) So how do I edit text? Is there an easy way? Or do I need to take a php tutorial?

3. My pictures...I have changed the attributes for them, but each picture needs to be an individual size. Should I do this on my computer? Or can I? Or is there a way to modify individual pics?

I will probably be back..and don't waste time typing if there's a link you can send me to - I am not trying to take anyone's time, just a few helpful pointers - and if I'

m lucky, maybe I'll be back to help someone else!!

www.frugal-scrapbooking.com/shoppingcart

~Andrea

Okay, I have been searching the forum, but I get thousands of results, and after spending an hour or so trying to wade through them, I have decided to just ask.

I spent a week learning everything I needed to do this

www.frugal-scrapbooking.com/shop.html

then realized it wasn't going to work because of the cart I needed.  So that is unfinished.

So I got OS thru fantastico from my webhost, who has been incredibly helpful, I might add, but not always available.  And I don't want to keep bugging him.

You did the very right thing by choosing osCommerce. Welcome ot osCommerce and its community.

1.  I try to change the currency from US to Canadian, or vice versa and the prices all remain the same.  Could someone please advise me on how to fix this?

Andrea, you should read the knowledge base. You can solve the currency problem from

Installing/Editing a New Currency

Also have a look at other articles of Knowledge Base

2.  Also, I need to edit the test.  It is painfully clear that php is NOT html...lol  Made that mistake once already!  And I don't have FP, nor do I believe my pathetic little puter would be able to handle it (4 GB!)  So how do I edit text?  Is there an easy way?  Or do I need to take a php tutorial?

Yes Andrea, it would be good if you take a few basic lessons of PHP. Many good sites offer free PHP lessons. To change any text you either need to change:

your_root/includes/languages/your_language/any_file or

your_root/includes/languages/your_language/your_language.php

Incase of the second chocice, you'll be able to see three different languages files and three different language files there.

To change the text of for instance the your_root/index.php , you should open up (assuming your language is english) :

your_root/includes/languages/english/index.php

3.  My pictures...I have changed the attributes for them, but each picture needs to be an individual size.  Should I do this on my computer?  Or can I?  Or is there a way to modify individual pics?

Well, by default all the products's images should have atleast the same width. Btw, may I know what sort of products do you have? That might help me to give you a suggestion.

I will probably be back..and don't waste time typing if there's a link you can send me to - I am not trying to take anyone's time, just a few helpful pointers - and if I'

m lucky, maybe I'll be back to help someone else!!

Well, we are always glad to help out each other. But you should definitely ready knowledge base and should try searching the forum before posting. Most of what you asked has already been asked quite a few times. :D . Best of luck.

Irfan,

1.?  I try to change the currency from US to Canadian, or vice versa and the prices all remain the same.? Could someone please advise me on how to fix this?

The link developer x gave you is a great one :)

2.?  Also, I need to edit the test.? It is painfully clear that php is NOT html...lol? Made that mistake once already!? And I don't have FP, nor do I believe my pathetic little puter would be able to handle it (4 GB!)? So how do I edit text?? Is there an easy way?? Or do I need to take a php tutorial?

If you do not FTP back and forth to edit files your host MAY have a built in editer in their control panel somewhere. I have used this feature a couple of times for different peoples websites and it seems to work fine but I would suggest using their file manager and making copies fo any files you are editing. You should do this if you download the file to edit or not, so if you have a problem you can go back to a version of the page you know was ok. Whatever you do, do not use the file manager that comes with osCommerce, there is a known bug or two and it can cause you tons of headaches.

There are however small free editers and FTP programs. Just do a search on any search engine and you will find a bunch. You can even use notepad. A little harder yes... but I wouldn't suggest using FP anyhow, program stinks. :lol:

3.? My pictures...I have changed the attributes for them, but each picture needs to be an individual size.? Should I do this on my computer?? Or can I?? Or is there a way to modify individual pics?

If your images are all different sizes you have a couple of choices.

1. resize them all to be the same

2. go into your admin area, click on configuration then on images and specify only the height or width leave the other field empty do not put 0 and osCommerce will adjust them proportionally.

3. Get one of a whole bunch of image contributions and install one that works for you. I suggest the image stretch fix. It works wonderfully.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3279

Good luck :)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I have many many windows open right now...lol

Thanks very much for the tips and links...I am reading now and plan to bookmark.

I actually do have an ftp - surf or something it's called. I used it initially with this

www.frugal-scrapbooking.com/albums.html

But that was a big headache for editing. I am enjoying very much how easy it is to add and delete inventory with OSC. Hopefully I can get it all down pat...or at least some semblance of that!

As for the products I sell...craft supplies. Scrapbooking, to be exact. Some products are slim sticker sheets while others are perfect square albums or paper. I will try out leaving one field empty and see how that work...thanks!

~Andrea

Archived