• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need to pick a brain

bobg7

Suddenly my PC is acting dumb. I'll be in the middle of something or while it's idle, all of a sudden it will re-boot it's self. Sometimes it will do a scandisk, sometimes it will will boot right back to windows xp sp2 (all patches/updates).

Norton is showing no viruses and adaware are showing no anomalies.

The box/power supply is about 2.5 years old but the following hardware is only about 1.5 years old:

Maxtor 40GB EIDE HD 7200/2MB/ATA-133 (x2)

Ultra Extreme Memory 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (x2)

Ultra Copper Skt 478 CPU Fan upto P4 3.06GHz

XFX GeForce4 MX440 128MB DDR 8X AGP w/ TV & DVI

Intel D865PERLK Socket 478 Motherboard

Intel P4 2.6Ghz 512k Cache 800FSB SocN 478 HT

250w Power Supply

VERBATIM 2X DVD+RW/+R DRIVE INTERNAL IDE OB

Speeze 80mm Front Case Fan (x2)

Kworld Security TV

If anyone of you PC tech's have any ideas, I could sure use them as this is driving me :blink:

Thanks in advance,

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Firstly, at the risk of promoting a piece of microsoft software, the only anti spyware software I'd install is microsoft antispyware (beta) it wipes the floor with the rest. I know from experience that all the free ones are rubbish and the pay for ones list false positives to make you buy therefore most antispyware stuff is malicious in itsself. adaware is well known so it's probably not malicious but there's not a snowballs chance in hell that it's as thorough as the microsoft product.

AND, it's not just the scan you need to do, many spywares exist as startup progs and browser helper objects (which most can't detect), Acrobat viewer is a BHO so the microsoft product lets you see the startups and BHO's so you can decide what should be there and what shouldn't, all the antispyware prods i've tried don't even see these things. It also auto-updates dailly with the latest spyware info. I suggest you download it and give it a try, I was using xsoftspy and some others before and they missed a ton of stuff!!!

Nextly, are you getting any error messages (blue screen codes). I've got about a 75% success rate ion finding the fix from these using microsoft knowledgebase. Takes time though.

Finally, are you using Home or Professional edition. Microsoft 95/98/me/home editions are notoriously un-robust, frankly, it baffles me why they make them (anyone know why??)

I hope that helps some!!

Brian

Light, in the absence of eyes, illuminates nothing.

Nextly, are you getting any error messages (blue screen codes). I've got about a 75% success rate ion finding the fix from these using microsoft knowledgebase. Takes time though.

No error messages, blue screens, nada anything

Finally, are you using Home or Professional edition. Microsoft 95/98/me/home editions are notoriously un-robust, frankly, it baffles me why they make them (anyone know why??)

Sorry, XP Pro SP2.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

A few things I would check out:

1. Do you have enough space available on the HD? If it's full this might cause your system to crash?

2. Have you added any new hardware lately? I haven't put a PC together for a few years but I recall needing at least a 300w power supply for a P4 system. You may not have sufficient power.

Hope this helps. ben

I'll be picking up a new power supply in the next few days, 350 watt, I'll check for a bad wire when I have it opened and get into it. While I'm in, I'll also be blowing out any dust and crud in there, been a long while since I have done that.

I did notice when it "gurped :x " on me just a little while ago that the cd/dvd RW drive light was on and there is nothing in the drive so I'm going to disconnect the drive and see what happens.

I would actually suggest a 400+, possibly a 520... I don't get a computer can even survive on such a weak power supply...

What can I say, it's free, all I have to do is go pick it up from a friends house when I get a chance.

Hi there,

the problem you mention sounds like one of 4 things:-

1. Power Supply

P4 always use 350 or higher - as someone said use bigger if possible

2. If there is a countdown from 60 sec before shutdown

if it is the countdown you can check this by doing the following:-

1. Start > Run then type CMD

- this brings up the DOS Prompt

type at this prompt c:/> shutdown -a

this will stop windows auto restart function so should check for other windows faults as well - if it stops the restart problem then run an upto date antivirus, I recommend this on one the net, may take a 30mins or so if using Dialup.

housecall.trendmicro.com

3. Memory Problem

could either be hard drive or RAM, I would normally say Ram above, there is probably free software to test the Ram on the net not sure as I use PCcheck.

4. CPU Overheat

I have seen this happen with Athlon 64's, but never the Pentiums but could we worth getting some thermal compound to try as its cheap enough.

hope it helps....

actually another thing comes to mind.

Have you just added the Service Pack 2.

If so then I remember when the 800MHz FSB processors came out the was a a lot of problems with the motherboards - almost all Manufacturers, including Asus, Gigabyte etc needed to right a new BIOS, check your supplier website for the latest one.

That just poped into my head because it caused me no end of problems at the time because I was selling about 50 a week.

Good news, I installed the new power supply, reseated all the cables, wires, boards and memory sticks. Cleared out some dust, put in a new CMOS battery and generally made sure everything was looking good.

So far it's been a little over 24 hours and no errors, I did notice the CPU temp went from 49c to 44c but I kind of doubt that would have caused the problem as it was well within the safe range.

Knock on wood whatever I did fixed the problem and the old box stays going for a long time.

Thanks for everyones help,

Archived