• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google question again : )

rommany

Hi All

I have tracking my links over the past months or so and with most of them i have well over 1500 - 2000 for each, but not google, when i check for links with SEO Assistant tool it comes up with

DOMAIN www.jellybabys.co.uk

Alexa Traffic Ranking (view)

Present in DMOZ Yes (view)

Present in Zeal No (view)

AlltheWeb 4,910 (view)

AltaVista 1,370 (view)

Google 21 (view)

HotBot 0 (view)

MSN Search 1,455 (view)

Yahoo! 1,370 (view)

Total

21 back links with google but when i use the code below i have 683.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22www.je...art=20&sa=N&X=1

but if i use the google search bar and put in (link: www.jellybabys.co.uk) i have 491 back links but if i remove the space between the link: www so i look likes this (link:www.jellybabys.co.uk) it comes up with the 21 back links..

I really do not understand why so many differences with them, and if i really do have 683 back links why does it only show 21 ?

Kind regards

It's not going to ever be easy to determine an absolute number of backlinks from google. Due to overwhelming abuse over the years, google no longer shows you the correct number of backlinks your site has through their toolbar. And the results you get using the 'link:' command on the google index itself is really an accurate reflection of the number of 'backlinks' you have. The results will also fluctuate depending on the node google is currently pulling results from. All of googles notes are not always in sync. One of my favorite places to go to check out the differing nodes of google is at http://google-dance.miniunternehmen.de/.

The important thing is to keep working on getting relevent backlinks, with your key phrase in the anchored text, and keep a close eye on your index results. The exact number of backlinks you have is indeterminate, and probalby irrelevent in the long run.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived