• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How much space does mySQL need?

muuseec

I am installing osCommerce from scratch.

I have 100 mb space on the server for both osCommerce and mySQL.

When I setup my site the UI says I gotta allocate space for mySQL. :blink:

How much would u experienced guys recommend me to allocate for mySQL?

I really don?t know how much space osCommerce takes, so I have no idea.

Would be really grateful for suggestions.

Information overload!

How long is a piece of string? Depends on a large number of factors. How many products will you sell, which contribs will you be running, will you store sessions in your database, are you expecting lost of customers and orders, will you have masses of product attributes, etc. etc. As a rough guide, my site has 11,000 products, a total of 71,500 attributes assigned to those products, 6300 registered customers and 4290 orders. I have a multitude of contribs running and I store sessions in the db. My SQL database is currently 127.23MB in size. You have 100MB of webspace, so I am guessing your store will be much smaller. Including images my site takes 397MB of space - gives you a rough idea of proportions.

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

I am installing osCommerce from scratch.

I have 100 mb space on the server for both osCommerce and mySQL.

When I setup my site the UI says I gotta allocate space for mySQL.  :blink:

How much would u experienced guys recommend me to allocate for mySQL?

I really don?t know how much space osCommerce takes, so I have no idea.

Would be really grateful for suggestions.

An out-of-the-box installation of oscommerce takes less that 5MB, files and database. But once images and products are added, a beginning shop usually ends up being around 10-20 MB. That will depend, of course, on the number and size of images you have, as well as other things. I regularly see databases that are over 10 MB. Also don't forget that if you add email accounts, they usually default to 10 MB, although that can be changed. So 100 MB is enough for most beginnning shops but you can outgrow it quickly. Keep an eye on your disk usage. Adding customers, products and contributions can may it grow in size a lot quicker than you might expect.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

my site has 11,000 products, a total of 71,500 attributes assigned to those products, 6300 registered customers and 4290 orders.

Hehe, that?s a LOT of products!

My site will feature around 2-300 products, so I guess 100 megs will suffice...

Thanx!

Information overload!

Archived