• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

Mibble, the suporter of support.

I did the change that VJ suggested and that fixed the corruption with my html. Good looking out.

Now, I did discover a problem that I HOPE you can help with. It seems that with the tab delimited file that I export from EP, I can import into excel aok. When I try to save it in Excel (I've tested it in excel 2000, 2002 and 2003) it adds a " at the beginning and end in the description field (which has a html). It also doubles any " that is currently in the description.

How do I prevent excel from doing this?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thank you

i had asked some of my friends at Microsoft about that, they didnt offer much help other than to write a VB script to remove the " which showed up at the beginning and the end. they were aware that it happened. if you send me your datafile i can see if this is falling into that category, might help me in going back with more 'guns' to show them they did things wrong.

Good news, I found a work around, if you import data into Access DB table, you can successfully export it w/o the extra " problem. Yippee.

I found the problem with excel, but MS will never own up to it. After so many characters in a given field, probably 500+, it auto sets to a text field. When exporting it, it forces a text qualifier in the field.

This crap is freakin built in the source code and was never debugged with XXX amount of characters... go figure...

I am having a similar problem, but didn't see a solution in the forum anywhere.

EP seems to be installed just fine, downloads a file fine, etc. I used the same file it created for me and just made some edits to test reuploading - here's what I get on the admin page:

File uploaded. 
Temporary filename: /tmp/php0L9f67
User filename: test.txt
Size: 3093

In my temp directory (which is 777'd), the test.txt file appears (is uploaded) after clicking "Insert into db". Nothing is changed in my database, no products appear, no categories change or are modified, etc.

I do have header tag controller 2.3.2 setup - it appears to be working just fine - downloaded without problem, etc.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it? Looking forward to saving untold hours...

Thanks for all help.

Jacob

double check your /catalog/temp directory for file permissions of 777 and again double check the temp files for /catalog/temp in the path, for the tempdir for both lines

I am sure I am doing something dumb here.....I'm adding sizes to my products.

one product is available in 3 sizes only so I use this line for attributes (smallest size 10-12)

1 size

2 0 10 - 12

3 0 14 - 16

4 0 18 - 20

then I have a product available in 5 different products (smallest 8-10)

1 size

2 0 8 - 10

3 0 10 - 12

4 0 14 - 16

5 0 18 - 20

the site is visible http://sspice.u35.pinbrook.net/catalog/index.php

some of my products are showing odd attributes Nicole's French Knickers in Cool Ivory Chiffon with Embroidery , is 10-12, 14-16 and medium. The third size should be 18-20 and is that in my import file

Thanks for any help

BTW - the site is adult lingerie just in case people are sensitive to adult sites

Edited by pinbrook

Jacob R, ok are you trying to upload to a temp directory first then upload into the db. Because the "Insert into db" is meant as a direct insert into the db from a txt file on your pc. Try that instead of the intermidiate step. Hope that works.

I am sure I am doing something dumb here.....I'm adding sizes to my products.

<snip>

some of my products are showing odd attributes Nicole's French Knickers in Cool Ivory Chiffon with Embroidery , is 10-12, 14-16 and medium.  The third size should be 18-20 and is that in my import file

Thanks for any help

BTW  - the site is adult lingerie just in case people are sensitive to adult sites

Sounds like the same mistake when I created my first EP csv file.

I'm guessing that 'medium' is an attribute of some other product.

*ALL* product rows in the CSV file must contain a column for *ALL* attributes, even those that are not relevant. E.g. French Knickers which are available in 10-12, 14-16 and 18-20, would also have columns for large, medium and small etc which might be the attributes for chocolate fireguards. The way the system 'makes sense' of all this is that attributes that actually apply to a product need an entry in the price column (use 0 if not using variant pricing) for that product's row.

Hope this helps.

EtU

Thanks for that....I am now making progress

I've corrected my import file to have columns for every possible choice, and leave the price column empty to choices that don't apply.

One final issue though, i'm getting my choices in a random order in the drop down box. ie some products are 14-16, 10-12, 18-20, others 18-20, 10-12, 14-16

It looks messy!

if neither 644 (0644) nor 444 (0444) solve your problem, you can try the following 2 solutions

A/

make a file called secure.php put it in as ../[catalog]/secure.php

in the file

<?php
chmod('includes/configure.php', 0444);
?>

go to your browserwindow and run the file.

you will not see anything happening (visibly) but maybe the warning goes away.

B/

in administration goto => tools than goto => serverinfo

there, 3rd or 4th item from the top is: Server API

after "Server API" you will see either Apache or CGI.

1/

if you see Server API: Apache => in most cases it will be possible to change the permissions, if not ask your hoster.

2/

you see Server API: CGI => means that PHP is compiled as CGI, which in it's own (as far as i understand it => Google for SuExec ) means that that process is already securing your configure.php.

the only way to get rid of the warning is than to un-comment it in the osCo-source.

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

daddyrabbit:

Try spelling temp instead of tmp where? In my easypopulate.php file, it says:

$tempdir = "temp/";
$tempdir2 = "temp/";

?

try spelling temp instead of tmp...

djgizmo:

No, I am trying to go straight into the DB. That's the button I'm clicking - 'Insert into db'. But the response I get is that it is being uploaded to " /tmp/php0L9f67 " - which I'm not sure why. I also don't know why it's going for /tmp, when I have the file configured to use /temp as my temporary directory. Of course, I'm trying to go straight into the DB, so I'm not sure why that matters?

Jacob R, ok are you trying to upload to a temp directory first then upload into the db.  Because the "Insert into db" is meant as a direct insert into the db from a txt file on your pc.  Try that instead of the intermidiate step.  Hope that works.

Jacob

Has anybody figured out an easy (relatively speaking, of course) way to add different fields to the easypopulate upload? I'm using the Separate Pricing Per Customer v3.5 contribution, where I've created as many 'dummy' accounts as I need to create discount groups to put customers in. So I've got a 30% off, a 20% off, and a 10% off group - for each product I need to plug in the price of the product the customers assigned to that group will see.

How can I modify easypopulate to accept these values as well and plug them into the DB?

The information is stored in the 'products_groups' table, with 4 bits of info -

customers_group_id - the id # that correlates to which discount group it applies

customers_group_price - the discounted price of the particular product

products_id - the unique ID of the product

products_price - the non-discounted price of the product that a new user will see.

Not sure what is needed to possibly make that type of addition to the code - thanks for any help.

jacob :thumbsup:

for the tmp directory, that is because your admin/configuration has /tmp in a couple of spots, try to create a /tmp in your document root up above the public_html area (where only u have access to it) with 777 permissions and set those areas in the admin/configuration to point to the proper path

Dear netters,

It is really driving me mad. I lost at least 3 days until now and there is no solution in sight.

If one uses attributes with easypopulate one must not decide for negative values. For example:

betacam tapes 4.37 EUR

- attributes:

1000 pieces = -0.22 EUR

5000 pieces = -0.37 EUR

There is no column price_prefix existing in the csv-file. So EP reads the prefix from the price-column and stores it in the price-prefix field of the database. But it also leaves the negative price in the price-filed untouched.

So it comes that the price in the attributes dropdown-field is "--.22 EUR" which adds to the normal price of 4.37 -> 4.59 EUR instead of subtracting it!

This error was several times mentioned on the board but nowone seems to have problems with it does have suggestion/workaround. I read everything I could find but still have no idea...

I am using EasyPopulate 2.74 and oscommerce 2.2 ms2. No other contributions installed.

Did anybody fix this?

Thank you in advance

Joachim Kleinhans

Markblueeyes -

I have also just run into this bug. Wouldn't it be possible to write an SQL query that removes any " - " (minus sign) from the options_values_price column in the products_attributes table? Since EP gets the price_prefix correct when you upload a spreadsheet with a negative value number in it, the only problem is the fact that it doesn't erase the minus sign from the actual number as well.

I have no idea how to make that type of change to the code - it would be great if that was built into EP automatically, or if somebody could just write something that says :

" look at options_values_price in table products_attributes and delete any instance of the character - "

Could somebody write that up as a quick fix, please? (geez i need to learn php!) Thanks.

Jacob

If one uses attributes with easypopulate one must not decide for negative values. For example:

betacam tapes 4.37 EUR

- attributes:

1000 pieces = -0.22 EUR

5000 pieces = -0.37 EUR

There is no column price_prefix existing in the csv-file. So EP reads the prefix from the price-column and stores it in the price-prefix field of the database. But it also leaves the negative price in the price-filed untouched.

So it comes that the price in the attributes dropdown-field is "--.22 EUR" which adds to the normal price of 4.37 -> 4.59 EUR instead of subtracting it!

i will work on rewriting that in the next few weeks, as that has now come into play for what i need for one of my new sites being developed for a new customer.

Mibble,

Looking forward to it. In the meantime, though (I unfortunately don't have weeks :'( ), can you, or anybody who can write SQL queries, write out how to get it to delete every - sign from the options_values_price column in the products_attributes table? That would be super, super helpful. Thanks!

jacob