• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

Maximum Attributes/Easy Populate

My question pertains to the maximum number of attributes/options EP will handle. I have only a few products on my site but each has 4000-6,000 available options. In some other versions of osCommerce I was able to EP as many as 5440 (MS Excel 2007 column limit). With EP vers: 2.76i-MS2

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a I seem to be bumping into a wall around 356. If a add number 357 and try to upload it gives the following error: File uploaded.

well shoot, if there was only a list of items needed to help me help you. <_< where's the file?

HI my Names Richard, I've recently taken a job designing a site around oscommerce as this is the program my boss wants to use and he gave me this update program for it in excell made by my predecessor. Now I've used excel before but never to this degree, and we're having problems, we sell games and all our old retro stuff is updating fine and are newer consoles 360, ps3 all the ones I've had to add etc update new stock but not pre-owned can any one here help? I can send you the update prog and sample database.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

what version of easy populate are you using? has it been customized?

what version of easy populate are you using? has it been customized?

Easy Populate 2.76h-MS2 no it hasn't been customized I think it's more an excel prob than EP just though someone on here may have some experiance with such uploaders

That would be the list of items requested in the Support Section of the EP documentation you were made aware of just previous to the exemplary post #7975 you made. If only the files were accessible I may have been able to help there.

The link in this post wasn't quite right either, but I figured it out.

This problem appears to be related to the length of the lines of data. you will want to adjust this line of code to fit your needs (near line 1226 in easypopulate.php):

while($line = fgetcsv($fp,32768,$ep_separator))   // read new line (max 32K bytes)

32768 refers to the maximum number of characters per line the script will pull at one time for processing. Adjust up to whatever ridiculously high number you will need for 6000 attributes.

Easy Populate 2.76h-MS2 no it hasn't been customized I think it's more an excel prob than EP just though someone on here may have some experiance with such uploaders

please read through the documentation at least once (whether you understand it or not). The link should be on the easy populate main page in your admin. when you reach the bottom, there is a Support section. There is a list of items to include in your request for help. You may explude the temp folder path from the settings, and you may PM me the link to your import file if it is sensitive or proprietary.

That would be the list of items requested in the Support Section of the EP documentation you were made aware of just previous to the exemplary post #7975 you made. If only the files were accessible I may have been able to help there.

The link in this post wasn't quite right either, but I figured it out.

This problem appears to be related to the length of the lines of data. you will want to adjust this line of code to fit your needs (near line 1226 in easypopulate.php):

while($line = fgetcsv($fp,32768,$ep_separator))   // read new line (max 32K bytes)

32768 refers to the maximum number of characters per line the script will pull at one time for processing. Adjust up to whatever ridiculously high number you will need for 6000 attributes.

BINGO! the ridiculously high number was 700000 but it works. Thanks a million until you are better paid!

Norman

after failed attempts at searching.

Can anyone tell me how to assign vendors in EP 2.76g?

I am using MVS (obviously)

Thank you

Brian

You need to create the vendor first in the osC admin. then in the vendor column of the import, simply list the name you gave the vendor in the admin.

sorry, strike that, you can't in v2.76g, the first version that I produced that supports it is v2.76i.

Edited by surfalot

I need to change the header in the export text file from v_categories_name_1_4 to v_categories_name_1.

So I need to remove the last figure that stands for the language. And I only want to change the header.

Does anyone have any idea of how to do this?

This easypopulate-file will not be used to import files, only export.

I need to change the header in the export text file from v_categories_name_1_4 to v_categories_name_1.

So I need to remove the last figure that stands for the language. And I only want to change the header.

Does anyone have any idea of how to do this?

This easypopulate-file will not be used to import files, only export.

Easy Populate 2.76f-MS2 (with attributes) r1 is the last version that used the old style category headers. use Winmerge or Beyond Compare to compare v2.76f with the next version I uploaded and the changes necessary to make on the newest version should jump out.

how can I prevent Easy populate from overwriting one item from a previous one?

let me be clearer.

I have multiple products that have the same exact part #s. They all have different manufacturers. right now EP is overwriting based on the part #.

Does it matter what order I put the columns in? or do I have to make each manufacturer have a different part # I.e. manufacturer A's part #1 would have to be a 1A manufacturer B would be a 1b etc..

please tell me I don't have to do that as that will make my life much more complex.

Thank you

Brian

You need to create the vendor first in the osC admin. then in the vendor column of the import, simply list the name you gave the vendor in the admin.

sorry, strike that, you can't in v2.76g, the first version that I produced that supports it is v2.76i.

well I just changed to "i" because of that.

How did earlier versions do it? I know it was possible as I had a much earlier version running on my old site for years.

let me be clearer.

I have multiple products that have the same exact part #s. They all have different manufacturers. right now EP is overwriting based on the part #.

Does it matter what order I put the columns in? or do I have to make each manufacturer have a different part # I.e. manufacturer A's part #1 would have to be a 1A manufacturer B would be a 1b etc..

please tell me I don't have to do that as that will make my life much more complex.

Thank you

Brian

Q:How can I prevent Easy populate from overwriting one item from a previous one?

A:Respect the index field.

In order to tell different products apart, there needs to be one column with unique values (index field?). That column is v_products_model. You have chosen for v_products_model to be your part number, but your part numbers are NOT unique. Bad choice. You can as you suggest add a letter to the model that would work, or you can just

1)Read the comments surfalot wrote at the top of easypopulate.php

2)Rename your part number column (v_products_model) to v_products_part

3)Add v_products_part to easypopulate.php in the appropriate spots.

4)Add a products_part column to your online database, in the appropriate spot.

4)Add a new column to your excel sheet for the new v_products_model

5)Give each v_products_model line a unique value. 1, 2, 3, 4 should work fine.

6)Alter the display to reflect the new v_products_part instead of v_products_model.

If that makes sense, pause to consider how you will easily differentiate whether the customer bought part 1 from Manufacturer A, B, or C.

Mfg A has models 10000 to 19999

Mfg B has models 20000 to 29999

Mfg C has models 30000 to 39999

If it even matters.

My experience relates to osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2

let me be clearer.

Thank you

Brian

unfortunately the way EP associates the import details with the products are the model numbers. Every model number must be unique in your shop. Please do give the docs a thorough read.

well I just changed to "i" because of that.

How did earlier versions do it? I know it was possible as I had a much earlier version running on my old site for years.

I started with v2.76c because it was the last one that still worked on a base osCommerce shop. My goal was to make EP actually work under most conditions with regard to the environments and data being imported. Only recently other contributions were supported "optionally" in this series of versions.

Easy Populate 2.76f-MS2 (with attributes) r1 is the last version that used the old style category headers. use Winmerge or Beyond Compare to compare v2.76f with the next version I uploaded and the changes necessary to make on the newest version should jump out.

Thanks surfalot, I compared the two files and got it to work just fine.

I did end up making the manufacturer part of the model # so that cleared up the overwrite. It for me was easier than adding in another field. I did end up blowing away all of my previous listings, but since EP is sucha breeze to use I didn't mind at all. I can honestly say that EP has come miles since I first used it about 4 years ago.

If you want to display product images from several external domain names, then you need to handle your products images differently all across your site by removing the DIR_WS_IMAGES in all pages displaying product images (modules/product_listing.php, product_info.php, shopping_cart.php, etc.. :

replace

tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'].......

by

tep_image( $product_info['products_image']..............

After this, you will be able to see your images after entering the full URL in your easy populate image fields.

let me know how it goes!

I did this and I am getting nothing. what might i be doing wrong?

I did this and I am getting nothing. what might i be doing wrong?

I don't believe that will actually work. you will have to modify the tep_image function also since that function automatically adds the shop's domain name to the front of the image name.

i did reinstall and for some reason easy populate is not showing up in mt admin/catalog panel. I can reach it threw direct link to the easypopulate.php. what is keeping it from showing up in my menu?

i did reinstall and for some reason easy populate is not showing up in mt admin/catalog panel. I can reach it threw direct link to the easypopulate.php. what is keeping it from showing up in my menu?

/admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php maybe not uploaded or correctly changed?

Hi there,

I'm new to OSCommerce and am trying to create an e-book storefront. I uploaded the products with EasyPopulate and spent the better part of three weeks entering in the download links as product attributes through the admin panel. Then yesterday I needed to update prices for the books, so I downloaded the CSV file from EasyPopulate, made the changes, and reuploaded it.

Now all the attributes are gone. They are still listed in the table in the MySql database (I can see them in phpAdmin) but I don't want to sit there and reattach them all in the Products Attributes screen. Is there a simpler way to get them back?

Any help will be much appreciated!

J.M. Snyder