• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

I've got my test-box set up with FreeBSD 6.2 - but for my sisters store - she HAD to have Windows ;) Even the brilliance of multiple desktops didn't sway her to KDE.

Even though FreeBSD isn't Linux - i find things a lot less buggy than on this windows piece of s*&t.

multi desktop huh,

http://www.managebytes.com/md/

reading your post i see you lack knowledge of windows and what it can do.

i run, windows 20003 server, freebsd, windows 2000 on my windows xp machine at the same time. besides this i run Xamp to develop my oscommerce website. never had anyproblems with windows.

multi desktop huh,

http://www.managebytes.com/md/

reading your post i see you lack knowledge of windows and what it can do.

i run, windows 20003 server, freebsd, windows 2000 on my windows xp machine at the same time. besides this i run Xamp to develop my oscommerce website. never had anyproblems with windows.

I have nothing against Windows. I installed FreeBSD on my test-box to try something different.

Although I've never heard of managedesk - (I haven't found a terrible need for multiple desktops) - my sister definitely needs something similar. I'll be sure to pass that link to her.

That being said though - I'd prefer not to pay for my multiple desktops (Although I'll assume you can probably find something similar for Windows thats open source/free). And I think that's the general appeal of any open source setup for anybody nowadays.

Damn took to long to edit my post. :D

(Add to end of previous post :P) Besides - why purchase a program to emulate multiple desktops - when KDE gives it to you standard? Or why bother purchasing an OS - when you can get one free of cost? But thats an entirely different argument for another forum probably.

So do you multiple boot your various OS's? Or are some running on virtual machines? I had FreeBSD and Windows dual-booting for a while - was very handy. But when I got my test-box - I just dumped FreeBSD onto that machine and killed my dual booting.

(Add to end of previous post :P) Besides - why purchase a program to emulate multiple desktops - when KDE gives it to you standard? Or why bother purchasing an OS - when you can get one free of cost? But thats an entirely different argument for another forum probably.

So do you multiple boot your various OS's? Or are some running on virtual machines? I had FreeBSD and Windows dual-booting for a while - was very handy. But when I got my test-box - I just dumped FreeBSD onto that machine and killed my dual booting.

well easy awnser, MS supports (most) software that i need and "free" doesnt always means better.

no i dont multi boot. that is the old way. i use VMWARE right now but there are free of charge alternatives and paid ones for as little as 49,99.

reason i choose for vmware was that i did some work for a compagny and they used vmware. do some work at home and testing and dump the image on a usb stick and i could take it to work. very usefull.

does freebsd support multi desktop with password protection ?

windows is a nice piece of software that is very forgiving. windows 2000 was the best and it went downhill from there. xp is not great, vista sucks.. but looking at the alternative i stick to windows. "free" is no reason to pick a certain piece of software. i run a business and i can effort 100$ for a piece of software. i run freebsd on my production webserver because linux sucks big time. i ran it for 1 year and i had a kernel hack twice. now i run freebsd/mysql and its stable no problems and no hacks,. great two thumbs up for freebsd.

i will never use MS for a critical part of my business.

here is the fun bit, im mcse,mcsa,mcp,mcsdba,mos ai,ccna,ccnp,cca xp. and i will neverl run MS on a critical system like webserver or business server (file,register)

bit quick last post.

KDE isnt OS. Freebsd doesnt give mutli desktop , KDE does.

so infact. freebsd + KDE give you the multi desktop not freebsd on its own.

why not pick linux and KDE ?

windows gives you a GUI right out of the box, freebsd doesnt do that.

only reason it gives you a gui is cause it comes with KDE. different developer.

windows gives you a desktop per user and after installing that little piece of software that i just linked you it gives you a multi desktop too.

isnt MS great ?

I don't understand. are the columns missing or just the spacing is not aligned because there is no attribute data?

It seems the spacing is misaligned due to not having attribute data. I was thinking of forcing this to happen by filling all empty Excel cells with a space, but am unclear on how EP will interpret this.

My preference would be to keep the file in a true .xls format, but I am unclear as to whether this will work. From within the Admin section, EP allows you to download the complete file in a tab-delimited format, which is how I am importing it into Excel. Looking at the easypopulate.php file, it seems possible to reconfigure alternate delimeters such as commas or semicolons. However, many of my products have long descriptions, which include commas and semicolons as well.

What is the best/recommended practice in this sort of scenario?

Edited by minuteman1970

It seems the spacing is misaligned due to not having attribute data. I was thinking of forcing this to happen by filling all empty Excel cells with a space, but am unclear on how EP will interpret this.

My preference would be to keep the file in a true .xls format, but I am unclear as to whether this will work. From within the Admin section, EP allows you to download the complete file in a tab-delimited format, which is how I am importing it into Excel. Looking at the easypopulate.php file, it seems possible to reconfigure alternate delimeters such as commas or semicolons. However, many of my products have long descriptions, which include commas and semicolons as well.

What is the best/recommended practice in this sort of scenario?

So if its just spacing you are worried about, then I assume you are editing your data directly in the text file? there is nothing you can do to align columns in a text export with EP.

Using the tab separator won't work with the osC test data since it has tabs & commas. the CSV format I introduced handles both.

was there a reason you decided not to use the CSV format that is the default for v2.76e & v2.76f ?? If you use that format (default settings), then you save the extra step of having to import to excel. just download and open with excel. Its the closest you going to get to native xls format. that is until someone points me to a GNU PHP app that will both read AND write to an xls file.

bit quick last post.

KDE isnt OS. Freebsd doesnt give mutli desktop , KDE does.

so infact. freebsd + KDE give you the multi desktop not freebsd on its own.

why not pick linux and KDE ?

windows gives you a GUI right out of the box, freebsd doesnt do that.

only reason it gives you a gui is cause it comes with KDE. different developer.

windows gives you a desktop per user and after installing that little piece of software that i just linked you it gives you a multi desktop too.

isnt MS great ?

Another time, another place. >_<

I posted this somewhere else but it appears this is the forum thread for all easypopulate issues. If I am in error in placing this here please let me know.

I am sure I have done something wrong in creating my easy populate file

When I try and use easy populate I receive the error

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/phprkYqOX

User filename: testinput.txt

Size: 673

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/userid/public_html/oscommerce/admin/easypopulate.php on line 2308

| 6607265038 | High Prote | High Prote | | | 46.8 | 8/10/2007 | 8/10/2007 | CytoSport, | NUTRTNFD | Active !New Product!

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/userid/public_html/oscommerce/admin/easypopulate.php on line 2308

| 6607265039 | High Prote | High Prote | | | 46.56 | 8/10/2007 | 8/10/2007 | CytoSport, | NUTRTNFD | Active !New Product!

| 6607265040 | High Prote | High Prote | | | 47.5 | 8/10/2007 | 8/10/2007 | CytoSport, | NUTRTNFD | Active !New Product!

I assume I have done something wrong creating my input file.

my file which is in tab deliminated format created using excel is as following. (Its wrapping because of the box that I am posting this into

v_products_model v_products_name_1 v_products_description_1 v_products_image v_products_price v_products_weight v_date_avail v_date_added v_manufacturers_name v_categories_name_1 v_status EOREOR

660726503805 High Protein Shake Mix "High Protein Shake, Blueberries 'n Crème" 46.8 8/10/2007 8/10/2007 "CytoSport, Inc." NUTRTNFD Active EOREOR

660726503904 High Protein Shake Mix "High Protein Shake, Peanut Butter Chocolate" 46.56 8/10/2007 8/10/2007 "CytoSport, Inc." NUTRTNFD Active EOREOR

660726504000 High Protein Shake Mix "High Protein Shake Mix, Chocolate Caramel Pecan (Chocolate Turtle)" 47.5 8/10/2007 8/10/2007 "CytoSport, Inc." NUTRTNFD Active EOREOR

I posted this somewhere else but it appears this is the forum thread for all easypopulate issues. If I am in error in placing this here please let me know.

please try v2.76f. In the future, please include the version you are using, and other details outlined in the docs under the heading How to ask for help.

All went well with installation. downloaded my Excel file, made some changes, uploaded to 'Upload and Import EP File' and success. Great so far. All products are still in my database, even the new ones I added and modified. However...when I look at my catalog, all my categories are there still , but no products. any suggestions?

installed EP_v2_76f_MS2

All went well with installation. downloaded my Excel file, made some changes, uploaded to 'Upload and Import EP File' and success. Great so far. All products are still in my database, even the new ones I added and modified. However...when I look at my catalog, all my categories are there still , but no products. any suggestions?

installed EP_v2_76f_MS2

I bet they are inactive..

hi i used easy populate to get some products up and running in my store. well now it says i have something like 160 products, when really i can only see about 60 of them. how do i delete these hidden products?!

thanks!

You could have some products in several places

store

store / catagory

store / catagory / subcatagory

each one has a row place in the spread sheet.

I applied the changes from EP_v2_76f_MS2 and keep getting timeout messages 'catalog\includes\functions\database.php on line 19'

anyone else having this problem> any suggestions of what to look for and how to fix?

What are people doing when the rows exceed 256? I finally figured out how to open my CSV file on multiple sheets, but saving is another story. I have lotus 123, Excel 2003, Access 2003.

couple things,

1) excel 2007 doesn't have that limitation. (I've heard)

2) you can limit the attributes that are exported with one of the config vars.

3) only download the items you need to change. If you only need to change prices, just download the prices, etc.

You could have some products in several places

store

store / catagory

store / catagory / subcatagory

each one has a row place in the spread sheet.

download a the complete catalog, change the status of those you wish to remove to 'Delete', then import

I applied the changes from EP_v2_76f_MS2 and keep getting timeout messages 'catalog\includes\functions\database.php on line 19'

anyone else having this problem> any suggestions of what to look for and how to fix?

that is common for large catalogs.

1) use the file split upload option and split it into smaller chunks for import. Also realize that you may only download a list of prices if that is all you need to change. aften EP can process hundreds more products without all the other data that hasn't changed.

2) find this setting: // set_time_limit(330); in the easypopulate.php file. If your host allows you to use that php command, you can set that to the number of seconds until the timeout occurs.

3) If your host lets you use a PHP.INI file in your root web folder, you can override the timeout setting there also. (ask your host and google how to)

Has anyone else has experienced this problem, and know what the solution is?

When I try to export a file, I get sent to .../admin/easypopulate.php?download=stream&dltype=full with an error message:

1065 - Query was empty

[TEP STOP]

When I try to upload the sample file, I get no error message, I just return to .../admin/easypopulate.php with no items uploaded.

I am running php v4.4.6 and MySQL 4.1.22 on an Apache server running Linux 2.6.21

Here are the settings of Easy Populate 2.76e installed:

Temp Dir is Writable

Magic Quotes is: off

Split files on: 300 records

Model Num Size: 12

Price with tax: false

Calc Precision: 2

Replace quotes: false

Field seperator: comma

Excel safe output: true

Preserve tab/cr/lf: false

Category depth: 7

Enable attributes: true

SEF Froogle URLS: false

More Pics: false

Unknown Pics: false

HTC: false

SPPC: false

Extra Fields: false

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by amace840

Has anyone else has experienced this problem, and know what the solution is?

When I try to export a file, I get sent to .../admin/easypopulate.php?download=stream&dltype=full with an error message:

1065 - Query was empty

[TEP STOP]

When I try to upload the sample file, I get no error message, I just return to .../admin/easypopulate.php with no items uploaded.

I am running php v4.4.6 and MySQL 4.1.22 on an Apache server running Linux 2.6.21

Here are the settings of Easy Populate 2.76e installed:

Temp Dir is Writable

Magic Quotes is: off

Split files on: 300 records

Model Num Size: 12

Price with tax: false

Calc Precision: 2

Replace quotes: false

Field seperator: comma

Excel safe output: true

Preserve tab/cr/lf: false

Category depth: 7

Enable attributes: true

SEF Froogle URLS: false

More Pics: false

Unknown Pics: false

HTC: false

SPPC: false

Extra Fields: false

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

move to the newest version please. v2.76f

in addition to what I said above, in #2, you need to uncomment that for it to work (remove the double slash in front). :)