• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

Hi,

Total nebie to all this php, oscommerce, codes and stuff so please help me out.

I have installed everything after readin this post and it has really helped me out, thank you.

However when i try to enter my admin page or database it is just a blank screen. what am i doing wrong what do i need to do? also how do i check what php am i using?

I host with telivo.com and am using coffeeCup Direct FTP to upload everything. I think the main thing that is confusing me is the PHP stuff. please help.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have forced cookies and for the users it works but I still get teh sessions in admin mode. Anyone

There's absolutely no need to get rid of session ids in admin. The only reason to get rid of them from the shop front is that it prevents spiders from generating them and adding items to the shopping cart and from using them in the links in search engines.

Do I need ssl at all? What if I use Paypal or 2CO?

You still need ssl, even if it's only shared, to protect customer details when they create an account, or edit their account, or login to their account. If you only have shared ssl then you need to install without ssl box ticked, and manually edit the configure.php files later. If you already have a full ssl cert installed then you can tick the box for ssl during installation - or you can still set up ssl later by editing the configure.php files.

However when i try to enter my admin page or database it is just a blank screen

This often happens if your hosting company has error reporting turned off - you just see a blank screen with no error on it.

Look below my name for the '$this in uploads.php' link and apply that fix.

Vger

hi Vger,

i cant seem to find this '$this = null' on line 31??

i know i am in the correct place web/catalog/admin/includes/classes upload.php

What am i doing wrong??

Thanks for any help you can give me

If you are using the latest updated and patched version of MS2 then that line will already have been patched, and the $this = null will not be there. If this is the case then it would seem that the problem of the blank page is being caused by something else. Unfortunatly if your hosting company has error reporting turned off then it's going to be difficult finding out what's wrong.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I'm afraid I can't get this thing working...

I have installed osCommerce on an external server and det shop is functioning as it should. I could also get to the administration area after the install.

Did some configuration (currency, language and my shop) and went out for a little while. Now I end up with a blank page when trying to access the admin area.

I've tried .htaccess and .htpasswd (manual edit since it's not possible via the admin interface at my ISP), reinstall everything (the same occur after a while).

I've also tried removing .htaccess and .htpasswd with the same result.

I have check both /includes/configure.php and /admin/configure.php and can't find anything wrong.

My ISP (www.b-one.net) is running PHP4.

Any idea of what i can do to solve this?

All help much appreciated.

Make sure that after you edited/checkes both configure.php files that you didn't leave either of those files with full permissions set (777), because this could be interpretted by the server as a security risk.

Also, check with your hosts that they did not upgrade to a verion of PHP5.

Vger

Complete newbie here

I've read through all 5 pages and some other threads and I have no idea where to start.I'm trying to set up a web store to fund my raceing.After a few failed attempts with other host I ended up here.....http://www.meccahosting.com/us/gg/services/web_hosting/mac/?s=gg&k=720.....and they directed me to use this system to set it up.

I have no idea what anything yall are saying to do is.The fact that I'm able to copy and paste a link is a miracle.

I need a dummies guide for this if there is one.

Thanks

Make sure that after you edited/checkes both configure.php files that you didn't leave either of those files with full permissions set (777), because this could be interpretted by the server as a security risk.

Also, check with your hosts that they did not upgrade to a verion of PHP5.

Vger

Thanks, but it didn't help.

I set the permissions to 644 on both with no change. My ISP is running PHP 4.4.1.

Any more ideas?

At this early stage I would try a complete re-installation, and I would recommend using the updated version of osCommerce 2.2 MS2 which can be found by following the 'Latest News' link at the top of the forum homepage.

Vger

Thanks, but it didn't help.

I set the permissions to 644 on both with no change. My ISP is running PHP 4.4.1.

Any more ideas?

The Quick Install Guide is the 'dummies' version of the full install guide found in the Knowledge Base.

Vger

Thanks

FTP,MySQL.......What are things like this and what do they do or is there a site somewhere that can teach me the basic use so that I can install and use osCommerece?

At this early stage I would try a complete re-installation, and I would recommend using the updated version of osCommerce 2.2 MS2 which can be found by following the 'Latest News' link at the top of the forum homepage.

Vger

Done, same thing happens...

Maybe a stupid question, but just to be sure...

I've installed osCommerce with the user stored in the database as recommended for a shred server. I've tried to set up .htaccess and .htpasswd with both the username/password for the enitre database and with some other usernames/passwords.

What is recommended/needed?

I'm getting a bit frustrated about this now...can't see what I'm doing wrong...

I guess you get a lot of questions about this...but could you possible take a look at my site?

If you search in Google (or other major search engines) for FTP MySQL Tutorials you'll get lots of hits. There are plenty of sites that will teach you the basics.

Vger

Thanks

FTP,MySQL.......What are things like this and what do they do or is there a site somewhere that can teach me the basic use so that I can install and use osCommerece?

osCommerce should be fairly painless to install - so if you are getting this degree of problems with it then it's possible that the server you are hosted on may not be suitable for running osCommerce websites. osCommerce can be installed on a very wide variety of servers, but that list is limited by restrictions which hosting companies then impose on the way their servers are allowed to execute PHP.

Does your site install okay?

Do the problems only occur when you try to use .htaccess and .htapasswd files to try and protect the admin folder? If this is the case then (in advance of trying to password protect 'admin'), FTP to your website and rename the 'admin' folder to something unique which won't be guessed by would-be hackers. Then edit the two references to /admin/ in admin/includes/configure.php to /newname/ and this will give you protection against your 'admin' being found by hackers. If they can't find it they can't hack it!

Vger

Done, same thing happens...

Maybe a stupid question, but just to be sure...

I've installed osCommerce with the user stored in the database as recommended for a shred server. I've tried to set up .htaccess and .htpasswd with both the username/password for the enitre database and with some other usernames/passwords.

What is recommended/needed?

I'm getting a bit frustrated about this now...can't see what I'm doing wrong...

I guess you get a lot of questions about this...but could you possible take a look at my site?

osCommerce should be fairly painless to install - so if you are getting this degree of problems with it then it's possible that the server you are hosted on may not be suitable for running osCommerce websites. osCommerce can be installed on a very wide variety of servers, but that list is limited by restrictions which hosting companies then impose on the way their servers are allowed to execute PHP.

Does your site install okay?

Do the problems only occur when you try to use .htaccess and .htapasswd files to try and protect the admin folder? If this is the case then (in advance of trying to password protect 'admin'), FTP to your website and rename the 'admin' folder to something unique which won't be guessed by would-be hackers. Then edit the two references to /admin/ in admin/includes/configure.php to /newname/ and this will give you protection against your 'admin' being found by hackers. If they can't find it they can't hack it!

Vger

Yupp...everthing goes perfect during installation... :thumbsup:

Renamed admin-folder and removed .htaccess and .htpasswd...no change I'm afraid.

My ISP offers the ability to upgrade my site to PHP5. I've seen that there could be some problems with PHP5 and osCommerce, but as far as i can see these thing should be ok...or at least the errors can be fixed.

I can't see that this would solve the problem, but I'll try everthing necessary to get this thing up and running...don't like the idea of going for something else... :-"

I've followed this guide, and I'm getting a rather annoying error that I still can't figure out what went wrong. I uploaded the Catalog folder to my host (Godaddy.com, using the Deluxe package), I set up a MySQL account. Once I get to the part of the install where I enter my SQL information, it says it's fine, and then the next page tells me it cannot find install/oscommerce.sql, although the darn file is there. Any suggestions?

This is a problem with Windows hosting companies in particular - they can't seem to find the install folder. The way around it is to edit install_3.php and where it says install/oscommerce.sql change it to the full DIR_FS pathway e.g. /var/www/html/install/oscommerce.sql

Edit as necessary for your pathway.

Vger

FTP to your website and see what pathway you have in the top right address bar of the FTP programme. This will probably be your file pathway. If not, ask your hosting company for the pathway to the root of your website.

Vger

I finally got past the issue of finding the right path, but now I'm getting this.

A test connection made to the database was NOT successful.

The error message returned is:

Table 'VR7214025.configuration' doesn't exist

Please click on the Back button below to review your database server settings.

The MySQL information is correct. I've double checked it again and again. Augh. Help?

This error means that the blank database you created before beginning the install was not fully populated by the install script. In particular, the 'configuration' table was not set up, and this is the most important of all of the tables.

If you use the search function to look through the forums for 'GoDaddy' you will find lots of threads started by people who could not get osCommerce properly installed on their servers.

Vger

Been trying to get this to go all day but can't, some help would be greatly appreciated. The problem is I haven't been able to locate the store front. Is the location supposed to be catalog/index.php, because myphpAdmin login screen is on that page. What am I doing wrong?

Erika

Archived