• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Aussie Store - Comments/Feedback Pls

AussieGRS

Hi! My Store was built by a company in US, it took them 7 months to get it to the stage it's in and I'm still not completely happy with it. After many emails and numerous phone calls I finally okayed it to be uploaded about a month ago. There are still a couple of issues that need fixing, however, the company that developed it are not responding to my requests to rectify the problems. I think this is a lesson to anyone thinking of having a site built by someone outside of your own country.

I have been learning a little PHP and I'm slowing starting to fathom out how things are working and I've been making a few small changes.

I am also looking for advice/feedback on the layout, functionality etc. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

My Store is: GRSalesco : Computer Hardware & Software Australia

This is design is from template monster and quite a lot of people uuse it.

I could have done this type of site within a week.

Hence my frustration, I got the impression from the company that built it that it would only take weeks to complete, not months. They also offered me multiple features included as part of the package and since having the store uploaded I have found out that many of those features are not working. eg. Customer Testimonials, disable right click, display all products.

One extra addition that I paid for 'Custom Computer Creator' was installed but they said it was too difficult to get it working properly. So in the end they suggested I remove it. If anyone has a working version of this I would like to hear from them.

You didn't say what you paid(you get what you pay for), not that it would be a bargain at any price. You also didn't say how you provided the graphics and text to the programmers. There is a huge amount of information in your database now, so changing the design and adding features is a simple process, that can be easily done in a week or so by any number of programmers here, but building a database can sometimes be time consuming. I'm not trying to defend lame programmers, but anyone who says they can set up a site in two week is talking about a perfect scenario where the content information is already in some type of database format and the graphics are ready to load up. Otherwise the hold up can be getting the content and graphics entered.

At this point my suggestion would be to spend a little money and hire a professional graphics designer to draw you up a design "wire frame" for how you want your site to look. Then present that to the programmers and they can implement that design as a template for osCommerce to use, and bingo, you have a brand new spiffy site.

Don't give up on osCommerce, you are almost there in having a good site.

Best Regards

Dan Burch

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .....

If you don't take down the flash that keeps making that sound every time a page loads, I think I am going to kill myself.

The text on the login page is grey, which does not go with your site.

You are still using the stock oscommerce buttons.

Did I mention the annoying sound that plays every time u load a page?

oh, I almost forgot (I really need to make this part of my signature) ...

Get a thumbnail contrib. 155kb Thumbnails are waaay to big.

Jud

You didn't say what you paid(you get what you pay for), not that it would be a bargain at any price.  You also didn't say how you provided the graphics and text to the programmers.  There is a huge amount of information in your database now, so changing the design and adding features is a simple process, that can be easily done in a week or so by any number of programmers here, but building a database can sometimes be time consuming.  I'm not trying to defend lame programmers, but anyone who says they can set up a site in two week is talking about a perfect scenario where the content information is already in some type of database format and the graphics are ready to load up.  Otherwise the hold up can be getting the content and graphics entered.

At this point my suggestion would be to spend a little money and hire a professional graphics designer to draw you up a design "wire frame" for how you want your site to look.  Then present that to the programmers and they can implement that design as a template for osCommerce to use, and bingo, you have a brand new spiffy site. 

I just built a little flower shop site you can see as an example of how much you can change an osCommerce design around at www.flowersbydorcas.com

Don't give up on osCommerce, you are almost there in having a good site.

Best Regards

Dan Burch

[email protected]

Thanks for your comments. As someone mentioned above the design was based on one of the many templates available and we basically left it up the the developer to add all the features that were offered in the package, including a few extra contributions that we had elected to have installed.

We had numerous ideas on how to enhance the look of the site but in the end it took that long for the programmer to get the functionality working that we decided to just try and get it up and running and look at changing the design in the future. We had all sorts of problems, like the shopping cart loosing its content and easy populate not working correctly, it took weeks for these problems to be fixed. All in all it was a frustrating exercise. We set a number of go live dates but these were delayed by more problems.

We have been populating the database for quite sometime and we have also found this somewhat of a learning exercise. We have a contribution called Dynamic Mo Pics installed and still haven't worked out what it does or how to use it. Images are still an issue that we need to get sorted out.

I am quite impressed by your Flower Site, I didn't realise that osCommerce could be customized so much. You've obviously put some thought into it. Thanks again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Gary

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..... 

If you don't take down the flash that keeps making that sound every time a page loads, I think I am going to kill myself.

The text on the login page is grey, which does not go with your site. 

You are still using the stock oscommerce buttons. 

Did I mention the annoying sound that plays every time u load a page?

oh, I almost forgot (I really need to make this part of my signature) ...

Get a thumbnail contrib.  155kb Thumbnails are waaay to big. 

Jud

Haha! well you got a laugh out of me, I didn't realise it was so bad.

If you have any suggestions on other buttons that would be better suited please let me know.

I agree with you about the text, I'm not happy with it either and we are

having a lot of trouble getting images to display correctly. Thanks for

the advice about a thumbnail contribution, I will certainly look into it.

Cheers,

Gary

I could have got it all working in a week. Just messing around with this site you can see its a bad job.

They have not matched the template as much as they could.

you can see a better version here:

http://www.demo-stores.com/G00040/index.php

Easy populate is an easy contribution to install.

Its not even SEO optimized such as search engine safe urls and using force cookies.

Normally it takes around 1/2 to 2 days to get a contribution installed and working how you like it. Normally 10 mins on the easyier contributions.

They did not even install a image resample contribtuion. This takes 10 minutes to install.

i have wrote my own before which took me a day.

this work is not professional.

I could have got it all working in a week. Just messing around with this site you can see its a bad job.

They have not matched the template as much as they could.

you can see a better version here:

http://www.demo-stores.com/G00040/index.php

Easy populate is an easy contribution to install.

Its not even SEO optimized such as search engine safe urls and using force cookies.

Normally it takes around 1/2 to 2 days to get a contribution installed and working how you like it. Normally 10 mins on the easyier contributions.

They did not even install a image resample contribtuion. This takes 10 minutes to install.

i have wrote my own before which took me a day.

this work is not professional.

Thank you for your frank comments.

I would really like to install the search engine safe urls, but I am a complete novice at this, is this difficult to install? Also, I don't quite understand what you mean using force cookies. What is the advantage of doing this and how is this done?

Again, with the resample contribution, what does this do?

Any advice, help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

Hi,

do you have the templates files that the developer downloaded from - we all know where - as they come with all the HTML, Flsh and PSD files.

If so it would be easier to start afresh with a list of the contribs you want installed - that way you can get rid of the crap coding they have probably done.

If you need help with it - give me a call, should be able to help out a little

Hi,

do you have the templates files that the developer downloaded from - we all know where - as they come with all the HTML, Flsh and PSD files.

If so it would be easier to start afresh with a list of the contribs you want installed - that way you can get rid of the crap coding they have probably done.

If you need help with it - give me a call, should be able to help out a little

Hi! Chris,

I really don't know if the template files are there, I assume they are. Jumping Rabit has been helping us sort a few things out, so we are making some progress. Thank you for the offer for help I appreciate it.

I would like to install the search engine safe urls, but I'm worried about stuffing things up. If you have any experience with this contribution I would appreciate some help to install it.

Cheers,

Gary

Hi! Chris,

I really don't know if the template files are there, I assume they are. Jumping Rabit has been helping us sort a few things out, so we are making some progress. Thank you for the offer for help I appreciate it.

I would like to install the search engine safe urls, but I'm worried about stuffing things up. If you have any experience with this contribution I would appreciate some help to install it.

Cheers,

Gary

PM me your FTP information I can do it.

I might need the admin login/password as well.

PM me your FTP information I can do it.

I might need the admin login/password as well.

Hi! Daniel,

I still have an issue with with my 'click to enlarge' link on the product detail page not working since you installed your search engine safe urls contribution. Would you have any idea how to fix this please?

Regards,

Gary

Hi! Daniel,

I still have an issue with with my 'click to enlarge' link on the product detail page not working since you installed your search engine safe urls contribution. Would you have any idea how to fix this please?

Regards,

Gary

The problem turned out to be something else. The problem has been fixed now thank you.

Regards,

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
The problem turned out to be something else. The problem has been fixed now thank you.

Regards,

Gary

I just had to add this information. Please be vary wary of supposed professional companys that you deal with, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. If you check my site I would strongly recommend that you stay away from the company that built it. This evening I accidently clicked on the link to the development version of the Admin at my original developers site (stupid me) and low and behold a trogen downloader virus was downloaded onto my computer. I suspect that this was malicious and from the original developer. If you have read this post will will appreciate the troubles I experienced it getting this site built. After a lot of frustration at trying to get things fixed I by the original developer and their complete lack of response to my requests I finally gave up and told them what I thought of them. Obviously, they have time to waste on destructive persutes. I have left the name and link to the company concerned at the bottom of my website, more as a warning to anyone else, than for any other reason.

Note: My site is now up and running thanks to the help some tallented people on this formum.

http://www.grsalesco.com.au

Archived