• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

State Tax . . .

BaileyBoy

I've searched and searched the forums but haven't found a targeted answer to my particular scenerio. Let me preface that I ship mainly in U.S.A.

I always thought that you charge tax from the buyers state, so as I understand it it's 8.25% to Californians, 3.8% to Colorado-(ians)?, and 6.25% to those living in Illinois - all others do not get charged sales tax.

Am I way off here, and if i'm not how do I configure my osCommerce store to recognize this?

Thanks a bunch!

BB

You right, you do charge tax by the buyer's state (although I believe it's actually by the state your shipping to). But, you only charge tax if you submit taxes in the state it's being shipped to. You can setup which states you apply taxes to, and what the tax rates are, in your "Locations / Taxes" section of your administration area in oscommerce.

I am not familiar with USA tax laws, but know osCommerce well :)

osCommerce is configured to charge tax depending upon shipping address.

You can configure your taxes as:

Admin -> Locations/Taxes

1. Add 3 tax zones for each state - Californians, Colorado and Illinois

2. Define a tax class - e.g. taxable goods

3. Define tax rates - Select class as 'taxable goods' + Select one of taxable zone created and define the tax rate for that zone. Repeat the procedure to define tax rates for eaah of the zone created

4 While add/editing products select taxable class as "taxable good"

• 3 months later...
I am not familiar with USA tax laws, but know osCommerce well :)

osCommerce is configured to charge tax depending upon shipping address.

You can configure your taxes as:

Admin -> Locations/Taxes

1. Add 3 tax zones for each state - Californians, Colorado and Illinois

2. Define a tax class - e.g. taxable goods

3. Define tax rates - Select class as 'taxable goods' + Select one of taxable zone created and define the tax rate for that zone. Repeat the procedure to define tax rates for eaah of the zone created

4 While add/editing products select taxable class as "taxable good"

Kagg - Thanks for your help. I did not realize anyone had replied to my post (???) so I never found out until tonight . . . I do appreciate it!

Archived