• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Known limits of OSC? Hardware or Software upgrade?

GregSt

Dear forum,

I'm trying to figure out the limits of OSC. At the moment my shops run fine, but I'm looking forward and expecting a lot of more traffic:

It seems to me, that not OSC is the bottle-neck, but the hardware of the server. Am I right?

- OSC seems to handle 8k items and more without any problems, 10 to 30 simultaneous shopping procedures aswell on a dedicated server... But then?

- How to set up my system for more than 3k visits a day, for more than 100 simultaneous shopping procedures? I want to be prepared.

- Anyone tried to use oracle (on a sun) isnstead of MySql with OSC?

- Does anyone have some experience with some heavy visited shops?

- Is OSC still suitable or should I move to any commercial solution (but I cant find any satisfiable software yet?!...)

Any small hint is higly appreciated...

Best,

Greg

Dear forum,

I'm trying to figure out the limits of OSC. At the moment my shops run fine, but I'm looking forward and expecting a lot of more traffic:

It seems to me, that not OSC is the bottle-neck, but the hardware of the server. Am I right?

- OSC seems to handle 8k items and more without any problems, 10 to 30 simultaneous shopping procedures aswell on a dedicated server... But then?

- How to set up my system for more than 3k visits a day, for more than 100 simultaneous shopping procedures? I want to be prepared.

- Is OSC still suitable or should I move to any commercial solution (but I cant find any satisfiable software yet?!...)

Best,

Greg

like with any dynamic communication-oriented application it is bandwidth and processing power (cpu/ram/hd etc). That applies to osc and any other software package.

Treasurer MFC

Dear forum,

Best,

Greg

In terms of performance MySQL and Oracle theres not much in it, this article benchmarked the major database players against each other (July 2003)

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,293,00.asp

So I dont think you would gain much by moving to Oracle, although in terms of cost you lose a lot.

I would say OSC is still suitable, it will come down to hardware and/or the pipe into your server.

Archived