• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] More Category Boxes

Hello

I installed the contribution twice but cant get it up and running.

I can find the menu refered to in the install instructions - admin >> configuration >> more catagories - but cant find

admin >> catagories >> more catagories.

I read another thread that said to check step 4 in the install instructions and I have done that but it seems ok.

This is the content of admin >> includes >> boxes >>catalog.php

<?php
/*
 $Id: catalog.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 [url="http://www.oscommerce.com"]http://www.oscommerce.com[/url]

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
?>
<!-- catalog //-->
         <tr>
           <td>
<?php
 $heading = array();
 $contents = array();

$heading[] = array('text'  => BOX_HEADING_CATALOG,
                    'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'selected_box=catalog'));

if ($selected_box == 'catalog') {
   $contents[] = array('text'  => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS . '</a><br>' .
                                  '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . '</a><br>' .
                                  '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_MANUFACTURERS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_MANUFACTURERS . '</a><br>' .
                                  '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_REVIEWS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_REVIEWS . '</a><br>' .
                                  '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_SPECIALS . '</a><br>' .
                                  '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED . '</a>');
 }

$box = new box;
 echo $box->menuBox($heading, $contents);
?>
           </td>
         </tr>
<!-- catalog_eof //-->

I hope that some one can tell me what I am doing wrong

Thanks ... Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I have implemented this contribution into a cre loaded store. I attempted this installation even though the I have cre loaded and not osCommerce. I have used both osCommerce and CRE loaded many times. My reason for attempting the installation is due to the fact that the documentation makes it seem very straight forward. Well I thought so at least. I am very close. I have the More Categories link showing under the Configuration section but I do not have the More Categories showing under Catalog at all. Nothing new there. I think it may be an issue with the file called catalog/includes/column_left.php. this column_left.php however is not used for the admin from what I can tell. I believe the file that should be showing the More Categories under Catalog in the admin is catalog.php. I did have an issue with the file located at admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php. Below is the code from that page. You will notice that I could not use the same exact code given to me in the readme.txt for the contribution.

Does anyone know what may be causing this issue of not seeing the More Categories inside of the Catalog menu?

<?php

/*

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Chain Reaction Works, Inc

Copyright © 2005 - 2006 Chain Reaction Works, Inc.

Last Modified by $Author$

Last Modifed on : $Date$

Latest Revision : $Revision: 705 $

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

?>

<!-- catalog //-->

<tr>

<td>

<?php

$heading = array();

$contents = array();

$heading[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_CATALOG,

'link' => tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'selected_box=catalog'));

if ($selected_box == 'catalog' || $menu_dhtml == true) {

$contents[] = array('text' =>

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES, BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_CATEGORY_OPTIONS, BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_CATEGORY_OPTIONS) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_MULTI, BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS_MULTI) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_MANUFACTURERS, BOX_CATALOG_MANUFACTURERS) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_REVIEWS, BOX_CATALOG_REVIEWS) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_SHOPBYPRICE, BOX_CATALOG_SHOP_BY_PRICE) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_XSELL_PRODUCTS, BOX_CATALOG_XSELL_PRODUCTS) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_FEATURED, BOX_CATALOG_FEATURED) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED, BOX_CATALOG_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED).

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_MORE_CATEGORIES,BOX_CATALOG_MORE_CATEGORIES) .

tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS,BOX_CATALOG_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_

FIELDS));

//Admin end

}

$box = new box;

echo $box->menuBox($heading, $contents);

?>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- catalog_eof //-->

Hi,

I'd like to do the same thing that Rachell was wanted.

Using this contribution, does anyone know how to hardcode a hyperlink to another page within the more_categories.php file?

What I am trying to achieve using this contribution, is to manually code in 3 hyperlinks to sub-category pages under ONE category in the Category Menu Box.

So it would look something similar to this:

CATEGORY ONE LINK

- subcategory hyperlink a

- subcategory hyperlink b

- subcategory hyperlink c

CATEGORY TWO LINK

CATEGORY THREE LINK

CATEGORY FOUR LINK

Thanks ..

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there.. I just installed this contribution, and I was wondering if anyone figured out how to make this contribution work by using SUBCATEGORIES only in the box..

basically, i wanted my main categories across the top in their own little drop down menu, HOWEVER i wanted to list a second set of categories that were the subcategories.. This would be just an alternate way of navigating

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hi there.. I just installed this contribution, and I was wondering if anyone figured out how to make this contribution work by using SUBCATEGORIES only in the box..

basically, i wanted my main categories across the top in their own little drop down menu, HOWEVER i wanted to list a second set of categories that were the subcategories.. This would be just an alternate way of navigating

I have two suggestions. If you want to PM me I can arrange for an explanation but to document the many approaches I took is just too much for me to type out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea if this contrib can cause an error like this:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare _sess_open() (previously declared in /home/bellafav/public_html/store/includes/functions/sessions.php:23) in /home/bellafav/public_html/store/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 23

the reason I ask is that the only categories I'm getting the error for are the ones I changed around in More Categories. The ones I didn't touch are fine???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I really need this contribution, thank you to the creator!

I installed it and it works fine, but the new categories boxes don't have the style the original one had. I have a template.

How can i use the template style with those new boxes?

Thx

• 1 month later...

I just installed this and can manage the categories in admin, but the new categories are not showing in the shop.

Im using RC2.

Anyone had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I have carefully followed all the steps, but I'm confused about the last step, STEP 8. It says:

===============================================

STEP 8 (Add to MySQL database)

Execute/import the MySQL commands in more_categories.sql using phpMyAdmin, the mysql command line, or any other worthy MySQL administration tool.

I don't have any experience with MySQL, can someone explain to me how to complete this step? Thank you so much! I just need one more step, then I can try whether it works on my site.

I have carefully followed all the steps, but I'm confused about the last step, STEP 8. It says:

STEP 8 (Add to MySQL database)

Execute/import the MySQL commands in more_categories.sql using phpMyAdmin, the mysql command line, or any other worthy MySQL administration tool.

I don't have any experience with MySQL, can someone explain to me how to complete this step? Thank you so much! I just need one more step, then I can try whether it works on my site.

You would ideally need to do this step via phpMyAdmin where you "Import/Execute" the more_categories.sql to your selected database. I can't help if you don't administer your MySQL database via something other than phpMyAdmin though, sorry. Make sure you back up your database first.

I have amended all the files, checked and double checked them using DiffMerge, and I am confident I have done everything correctly. The .sql file executed without errors. However, when I go my store to check the results I am presented with:

1146 - Table 'databasename.categories_more' doesn't exist

select * from categories_more where enabled = 1

[TEP STOP]

and when I go into the Admin side of my store, and select Catalog>More Categories I am presented with:

More Category Boxes

1146 - Table 'databasename.categories_more' doesn't exist

select * from categories_more

[TEP STOP]

I would love any suggestions on this, as this feature is key to how my client whats his store setting up.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Looking at my database via phpMyAdmin, I have a heading TABLE_CATEGORIES_MORE which has 10 infobox_name headings and 25 categoryxx_ids, so it would appear the correct information has been loaded into the database.

The fact that the error is 1146 - Table 'databasename.categories_more' doesn't exist makes me think that the new entry TABLE_CATEGORIES_MORE is named incorrectly, as .categories_more is what doesn't exist? I notice that on Jan 15th of this year, the .sql file was fixed, and I downloaded this contribution on 16th Jan, so I am sure I have the "fixed version.

Sorry if I have the terminology wrong in terms of what is called what in MySQL.

I just tried again, but this time using the exact files that come with the Contribution download to make sure I haven't changed the files incorrectly, and the same error appears. I have now un-installed this Contribution, and everything is now back working as it should, but it would be great if I can get it More Category Boxes and running.

Jonathan

I have a feeling that this contribution is no longer supported, and that is understandable considering when it was written, but I have just done a complete re-installation using the install.php file that comes with the osCommerce-2.2rc2a(2), linked it to a brand new database, so I have no changes or amends applied to any files (apart from uploading all of the files as supplied with the contribution), and apart from the one that comes with this contribution, I have not imported any .sql files to the database, and I still can't get this contribution to work.

As well as still being presented with the original error message when looking at the actual store, when I now try and log-in to the Admin side of things, I get http://www.domainname.co.uk/catalog/admin/FILENAME_LOGIN in the URL bar, and a Not Found: The requested URL was not found on this server. in the browser window, preventing any kind of log-in to administer the site. I didn't get this log-in error until I ran the supplied .sql file to my database.

It of course is still entirely possible I am doing something wrong in terms of where I am copying the files, but I have checked and double checked. It would be great to hear if anybody has recently successfully installed this contribution, because it really does look exactly what I need.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I am having a great conversation with myself here! I now have this working after using DiffMerge to look at the admin>includes files database_tables.php and filenames.php compared to the clean default installation files that come with the original OS download. It seems that any administrator and login files are not present in the Contribution files.

ie:

define('TABLE_ADMINISTRATORS', 'administrators');

define('FILENAME_LOGIN', 'login.php');

Is there a reason for this, because the lack of these lines is why I was getting the errors when trying to login as Admin? Although I have the contribution working now, I don't want to put my site at risk by altering things that I really have no clue about!

Jonathan

Thank you for your assistance.

I do have access to my MySQL database via phpMyAdmin. But I don't yet have any experience in using phpMyAdmin. I guess I just don't know what it means by "Import/Execute" the more_categories.sql to my selected database. I don't see any "Import/Execute" button in phpMyAdmin. All I see is "Structure", "Search", "SQL", "Query", "Export", "Opeations". Is it possible for you to explain this more plainly? Thank you so much!

Thank you for your assistance.

I do have access to my MySQL database via phpMyAdmin. But I don't yet have any experience in using phpMyAdmin. I guess I just don't know what it means by "Import/Execute" the more_categories.sql to my selected database. I don't see any "Import/Execute" button in phpMyAdmin. All I see is "Structure", "Search", "SQL", "Query", "Export", "Opeations". Is it possible for you to explain this more plainly? Thank you so much!

Reading back my response, I was of no use whatsoever was I? Sorry! I am only beginning in all of this too.

When you are in phpMyAdmin, you should see your database name on the left of the screen. Click this to make sure you have the database selected. Then, in my version of phpMyAdmin (3.0.1), I see Structure, SQL, Search, Query, Export, Import, Operations. It is under the Import tab that I can browse for the supplied sql files stored on my computer. If you don't see the Import tab, then try looking under SQL from where, on some tutorials I have seen, you can run .sql files.

I hope that helps a bit more. Please, please remember to back up your database first!

I kind of have this contribution running now, but it appears that Apple's Safari doesn't like it at all - ignoring whether Category boxes are turned off or not, and showing question marks everywhere :blink: The big test next is whether it runs happily alongside an equally important contribution that allows multi column producting listing. Both work without the other one running - not tried them together yet.

Ignoring the grey round corners, which I have now sorted, when viewed in Internet Explorer and Safari, I am presented with question marks, and the browser ignores whether a category box is active or not. Just not happening for me with this Contribution.

Picture1-10.png

Ignoring the grey round corners, which I have now sorted, when viewed in Internet Explorer and Safari, I am presented with question marks, and the browser ignores whether a category box is active or not. Just not happening for me with this Contribution.

Picture1-10.png

Here I am again, answering my own questions! It appears that if you log in as Admin and go to Configuration>Images and change Image Required from True to False, the question mark problem goes away in IE and Safari. Ask me another! :lol: :blink:

Reading back my response, I was of no use whatsoever was I? Sorry! I am only beginning in all of this too.

When you are in phpMyAdmin, you should see your database name on the left of the screen. Click this to make sure you have the database selected. Then, in my version of phpMyAdmin (3.0.1), I see Structure, SQL, Search, Query, Export, Import, Operations. It is under the Import tab that I can browse for the supplied sql files stored on my computer. If you don't see the Import tab, then try looking under SQL from where, on some tutorials I have seen, you can run .sql files.

I hope that helps a bit more. Please, please remember to back up your database first!

I kind of have this contribution running now, but it appears that Apple's Safari doesn't like it at all - ignoring whether Category boxes are turned off or not, and showing question marks everywhere :blink: The big test next is whether it runs happily alongside an equally important contribution that allows multi column producting listing. Both work without the other one running - not tried them together yet.

Thank you again for your help. I ran the "more_categories.sql" file in my database, but I got an error message as below:

SQL query:

INSERT INTO `configuration_group` ( `configuration_group_id` , `configuration_group_title` , `configuration_group_description` , `sort_order` , `visible` )

VALUES (

'8675309', 'More Categories', 'More Category Boxes options', '20', '1'

)

MySQL said: Documentation

#1146 - Table 'artonbead_test.configuration_group' doesn't exist

Do I need to change some setting in my admin configuration?

Thank you for your help!!

Now this is where I will fall down, because I don't have a clue why that error has been caused. I had made such a mess of my osCommerce install and database that I started from scratch by creating a brand new empty database and running http://yourserver/catalog/install/ again, and assigning that database to my new osCommerce installation.

It was a pain, because it meant all the other code alterations and other Contributions I had installed needed reapplying, but I was happier having a clean install and working from that, and this Contribution was extremely important to how the site needs to look. It was also an excellent learning exercise! I was fortunate in that I am just testing all of this for the moment and getting it ready for the new Spring collection clothing range that our client wants to start selling next month.

All I can suggest is that you copy your current Catalog folder off your server as a back-up (ESSENTIAL!) before deleting it from your server, and then copy the default Catalog folder that comes with the osCommerce download onto your server. Then create a brand new blank mySQL database, and then by following the documentation.pdf installation guide, install a fresh osCommerce catalog, linking that to your newly created blank database.

Then run through the installation of the More Categories Boxes contribution. This will at least show you whether the problem exists in your current database, and then you can decided whether you want to proceed from that point on.

I am suggesting all of this in the absence of any other help - and only because it worked for me! Performing this on a completely default installation ensures you haven't altered any files that may otherwise affect how the contribution runs.

HTH - and good luck!

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Great contribution, easy to install and works well but . . . I would really like all my category boxes to be drop-down lists. I know this question was asked before (twice) in this thread, but it was a year or so back so . . . has anyone done this, or does anyone have any idea how to do it?

- Webcraft

• 1 month later...
I just installed this and can manage the categories in admin, but the new categories are not showing in the shop.

Im using RC2.

Anyone had this problem?

I still have this problem.

The admins section works fine, but there is no changes on the catalog section.