• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Seo/Sef URL's for your osc shop

toyicebear

Hi again Toyice Bear, thanks for your reply. I searched the contributions for individual meta and decided to use the Custom META Tags per ITEM - Contribution by Randelia. Very unfortunate - it seems the support thread is not getting replies, so I'd like a chance to ask for some help here..

The titles <title></title> assigned to the categories are working, however the individual product titles (aquamarine beads, etc.) are not working. They are pointing to the default for the main page. Frustration - because I HAVE entered into the DB.

What do you suggest at this point? Anyone reading this care to take a stab at helping me?

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Sharon

That one i have not tried that contrib yet..so its hard for me to say.....

If you are using Search Engne Friendly URLS from Blueyon, then the explanation is simple..... all the meta tags contributions , exept Meta Tag Controller Support , have to be rewritten slightly to alowe for the fact that the sef from blueyon gets the product info from the index.php file instead of from the product_info.php file.

For some of the other seo/sef contributions there is sometimes also a need to rewrite the way teh 'id" for pages are fetched.

If i get the time i will have a closer look at Randelias contrib....so i can answear questions regarding that one directly too....

Othervise i recomend one of these 3 meta tags solutions, the last 2 have very easy install procedures.

Header Tags Controller

or

c-dynamic meta tags

or

Meta Tag Controller Support

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Toyice Bear! Actually I'm not using Blueyon's SEFU, just plain Randelia's. And I did notice the urls have changed/are simplified -a side benefit I was not expecting. I'm sorry I'm not a code person as far as the id pages go. It's all noodles to me but your "get the product info from..." might be a clue we can troubleshoot.

Thanks again! If you want to post again here I'll check back too. I may just pick another meta contrib.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Thanks Toyice Bear! Actually I'm not using Blueyon's SEFU, just plain Randelia's. And I did notice the urls have changed/are simplified -a side benefit I was not expecting. I'm sorry I'm not a code person as far as the id pages go. It's all noodles to me but your "get the product info from..." might be a clue we can troubleshoot.

Thanks again! If you want to post again here I'll check back too. I may just pick another meta contrib.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Att...that contrib should not have changed your urls in any way....

Have you enabled search engine friendly urls in your admin?

( located in your admin configuration>>my shop )

If you have done so, try to set them to false and set if the metas work correctly after that......

Quick question for anyone who can help a newbie like myself...

The instructions to setting up SEF URLs requires that a index.php file is copied to the catalog directory - I've made changes to my own index.php file already so how and is this replacement necessary? I do not want to replace my current index.php file.

Thanks!

Quick question for anyone who can help a newbie like myself...

The instructions to setting up SEF URLs requires that a index.php file is copied to the catalog directory - I've made changes to my own index.php file already so how and is this replacement necessary? I do not want to replace my current index.php file.

Thanks!

Blueyons SEF URLs merges the product_info.php and the index.php files together. When SEF URL is installed the products are then showed from index.php and not from product_info.php .

IE. you will have to further modify your own index.php with the changes from SEF URLS or replace it with the index.php file from the contribution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi toyicebear,

Thank you very much for all the links in your signature! They are very good resources for me as beginner in OSc :thumbsup:

My question...I have my site www.ShaShinKi.com operates for nearly 3 months since Christmas 2005. Currently my page rank is 5/10. I have googlebot crawled on my site for around 300MB per month. I have googled indexed me on the first week after I submited my URL to them.

I have just installed header_tag contribution few days ago, and now I am looking at the SEO URL.

Should I install SEO URL? I am worried that all the indexed page by google or MSN bot (around 150MB per month) are gone and making my page rank worse...

Appreciate your advice on this :)

Best regards,

Koh Kho King

Hi toyicebear,

Thank you very much for all the links in your signature! They are very good resources for me as beginner in OSc :thumbsup:

My question...I have my site www.ShaShinKi.com operates for nearly 3 months since Christmas 2005. Currently my page rank is 5/10. I have googlebot crawled on my site for around 300MB per month. I have googled indexed me on the first week after I submited my URL to them.

I have just installed header_tag contribution few days ago, and now I am looking at the SEO URL.

Should I install SEO URL? I am worried that all the indexed page by google or MSN bot (around 150MB per month) are gone and making my page rank worse...

Appreciate your advice on this :)

First you do not need to install seo/sef urls the search engines does index and show your pages in the results just fine without it too.

But if you still want to do it , my suggestion then since your site has been live for awhile and has links already indexed is to use Ultimate Seo Urls because it has a build in 301 redirect system for old urls.

• 1 month later...
First you do not need to install seo/sef urls the search engines does index and show your pages in the results just fine without it too.

But if you still want to do it , my suggestion then since your site has been live for awhile and has links already indexed is to use Ultimate Seo Urls because it has a build in 301 redirect system for old urls.

Finally I decided to installed this Ultimate SEO. Very easy to install and my old urls still work!

Great contribution and many thanks to toyicebear for the recommendation and guide! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Koh Kho King

• 9 months later...
That one i have not tried that contrib yet..so its hard for me to say.....

If you are using Search Engne Friendly URLS from Blueyon, then the explanation is simple..... all the meta tags contributions , exept Meta Tag Controller Support , have to be rewritten slightly to alowe for the fact that the sef from blueyon gets the product info from the index.php file instead of from the product_info.php file.

For some of the other seo/sef contributions there is sometimes also a need to rewrite the way teh 'id" for pages are fetched.

If i get the time i will have a closer look at Randelias contrib....so i can answear questions regarding that one directly too....

Othervise i recomend one of these 3 meta tags solutions, the last 2 have very easy install procedures.

Header Tags Controller

or

c-dynamic meta tags

or

Meta Tag Controller Support

Hello toyicebear,

Could you do a similar review of the meta tag controllers or if one has already been done, could you post us a link to it here. This SEO contributions review you have here has been very helpful and appreciated.

If you could comment on the meta tag contributions as well it would be great.

Thanks!

Hello toyicebear,

Could you do a similar review of the meta tag controllers or if one has already been done, could you post us a link to it here. This SEO contributions review you have here has been very helpful and appreciated.

If you could comment on the meta tag contributions as well it would be great.

Thanks!

In my signature below click on Meta tags for your osc shop.....

• 1 month later...

Anyone use Nimmit's SEF recently?

I'm thinking of using it and want to make sure it works on the latest OSC version.

Also, if I were to switch to Nimmit's, would I have to uninstall Ultimate SEO URLs by Chemo?

Thank you for your help!

Hello All,

Does anyone know the reason why (having installed Ultimate SEO version 2.1d) that no internal product links are working on my site (400 error). Then, when I disable SEOs in my admin control panel, all's well again?

My Admin directory has a .htaccess file in it but my Admin directory is not inside the catalog directory, so I have uploaded the .htaccess that came with the Ultimate SEO install to my catalog directory. Could that be the problem?

I read the comments in the .htaccess about configuring Apache. When I stopped crying, I decided to ignore the advice to mess with something else I don't understand in case I broke that as well.

Any advice, patronising or otherwise, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone use Nimmit's SEF recently?

I'm thinking of using it and want to make sure it works on the latest OSC version.

Also, if I were to switch to Nimmit's, would I have to uninstall Ultimate SEO URLs by Chemo?

Thank you for your help!

Nimmit sef is no longer supported by the author

It can be used with the latest oscommerce 2.2 but you are more or less on your own fixing any problems which might crop up...

If you want to use it, yes you would have to uninstall ultimate seo urls

As an alternative you might want to check out the new SEO-G

Hello All,

Does anyone know the reason why (having installed Ultimate SEO version 2.1d) that no internal product links are working on my site (400 error). Then, when I disable SEOs in my admin control panel, all's well again?

My Admin directory has a .htaccess file in it but my Admin directory is not inside the catalog directory, so I have uploaded the .htaccess that came with the Ultimate SEO install to my catalog directory. Could that be the problem?

I read the comments in the .htaccess about configuring Apache. When I stopped crying, I decided to ignore the advice to mess with something else I don't understand in case I broke that as well.

Any advice, patronising or otherwise, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

1. check that your hosting/server supports mod rewrite

2. check the .htaccess file is correct based on the instructions from ultimate seo urls

• 2 weeks later...

Enigma1 has relesed a new and interesting seo url contribution: SEO-G

SEO-G has a fairly straightforward install and when installed gives you many admin options for creating the url style you want for your oscommerce shop.

SEO-G is currently being further developed and improved by the author aswell as having an active support tread in this forum.

With the default setting it will give you urls like this: (Att. the urls style and file ending can be changed in your admin)

Products: www.yourwebsite.com/your-product-name.html

Categories: www.yourwebsite.com/your-category-name.html

It also includes a xml sitemap with the new url styles.

• 5 months later...
Enigma1 has relesed a new and interesting seo url contribution: SEO-G

SEO-G has a fairly straightforward install and when installed gives you many admin options for creating the url style you want for your oscommerce shop.

SEO-G is currently being further developed and improved by the author aswell as having an active support tread in this forum.

With the default setting it will give you urls like this: (Att. the urls style and file ending can be changed in your admin)

Products: www.yourwebsite.com/your-product-name.html

Categories: www.yourwebsite.com/your-category-name.html

It also includes a xml sitemap with the new url styles.

First this is off subject of SEO-G and I ask you to excuse me for that. I need help though.

I will admit I'm a super newbie when it comes to programming OsCommerce and I have minimal knowledge of php. :blush: I recently downloaded OsCommerce through my current host (BlueHost) using Fantastico through cPanel. I already own a website developed by another company using OsCommerce, but my page rank is absolutely horrible. I won't get into that, however I will say I was scammed. My site has been live since Sept.06', but you sure can't tell that!

I've decided to download OsCommerce and play around with it myself to see if I can fix my rank/traffic problems. I noticed you seem to be the current GURU on the forum when it comes to starting a new OsCommerce site. What are your current recommendations for contributions to solve my problems?

For my current site see my profile. I want to recreate it in my own way and ensure it's FOUND and my page ranking increases considerably. I'm tired of investing thousands of dollars and getting hundreds back. I need something better and it seems to me you can help. If you can, your kindness will not be forgotten. Please help me make my site a major competitor in the Extreme Sports industry. We have the products and all the major manufacturers, now we need the website to represent them and sell them. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

-Travis

First this is off subject of SEO-G and I ask you to excuse me for that. I need help though.

I will admit I'm a super newbie when it comes to programming OsCommerce and I have minimal knowledge of php. :blush: I recently downloaded OsCommerce through my current host (BlueHost) using Fantastico through cPanel. I already own a website developed by another company using OsCommerce, but my page rank is absolutely horrible. I won't get into that, however I will say I was scammed. My site has been live since Sept.06', but you sure can't tell that!

I've decided to download OsCommerce and play around with it myself to see if I can fix my rank/traffic problems. I noticed you seem to be the current GURU on the forum when it comes to starting a new OsCommerce site. What are your current recommendations for contributions to solve my problems?

My current site is www.tntride.com. I want to recreate it in my own way and ensure it's FOUND and my page ranking increases considerably. I'm tired of investing thousands of dollars and getting hundreds back. I need something better and it seems to me you can help. If you can, your kindness will not be forgotten. Please help me make TNTRide.com a major competitor in the Extreme Sports industry. We have the products and all the major manufacturers, now we need the website to represent them and sell them. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

-Travis

Your urls seems to be ok...

BUT your page titles/metas are not...you need to check them...they should be spesific for individual categories and products

Other than that...

There are 2 main factors which will help you in rankings...

1. Inbound relevant links to your site...

2. On page visible content (text) on each individual page.....

Your urls seems to be ok...

BUT your page titles/metas are not...you need to check them...they should be spesific for individual categories and products

Other than that...

There are 2 main factors which will help you in rankings...

1. Inbound relevant links to your site...

2. On page visible content (text) on each individual page.....

I see, but I really have NO contributions installed. My site is seriously crippled. What could help it besides links? I really don't have any individual pages to place text. Any other advice you can offer? I'm sure there has to be some contributions to help our cause? Paypal? Google Checkout? Some of those possibly? I'm really lost right now on what I can do.

Again I want to recreate the site using a new install of OsCommerce and install all useful modules you recommend. I can have another programmer work the front side and implement the handy scroller we had designed. What did you think of that? What do you think of the current front side? Any input will be considered and greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the above help so far,

-Travis

I see, but I really have NO contributions installed. My site is seriously crippled. What could help it besides links? I really don't have any individual pages to place text. Any other advice you can offer? I'm sure there has to be some contributions to help our cause? Paypal? Google Checkout? Some of those possibly? I'm really lost right now on what I can do.

Again I want to recreate the site using a new install of OsCommerce and install all useful modules you recommend. I can have another programmer work the front side and implement the handy scroller we had designed. What did you think of that? What do you think of the current front side? Any input will be considered and greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the above help so far,

-Travis

Have a look at: Header Tag Controler

and if you are planing on adding many extra pages...

Article Manager

or

Information Pages Unlimited

• 4 months later...

Whereas I will differ and say ..

cDynamic meta tags for .. errm meta tags.

And I wouldn't touch any SEO URL tool other than ULTIMATE SEO URLs with a barge pole.

• 1 month later...

And I wouldn't touch any SEO URL tool other than ULTIMATE SEO URLs with a barge pole.

Hi Babygurgles

Which version of cDynamic meta tags do you use? ...also do you cache it using chemo's advanced cache class?

Thanks

Adam

• 3 months later...

Robert I thought you used your own version of meta_tags http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=824481 Did you abandon that for cDynamic meta tags?

Archived