• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Gift Wrap and Sales Tax issue

hubcat

Sorry to post this here, but this contribution no longer seems to be supported.

I have added the Gift Wrap contribution, and Gift Wrapping is taxable. When I check out, tax is added twice - once to the cost of the Gift Wrap and then again as a separate tax line. Ideally, I want it to be added only once and in with the rest of the tax. Any one else run into this or have a solution?

I'm having trouble figure out where the tax and shipping actually get calculated - as in which OSCommerce page is the code located in? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Adrienne

Sorry to post this here, but this contribution no longer seems to be supported.

I have added the Gift Wrap contribution, and Gift Wrapping is taxable.  When I check out, tax is added twice - once to the cost of the Gift Wrap and then again as a separate tax line.  Ideally, I want it to be added only once and in with the rest of the tax.  Any one else run into this or have a solution?

I'm having trouble figure out where the tax and shipping actually get calculated - as in which OSCommerce page is the code locatededn?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Adrienne

Not sure if this the answer to it

In Admin|Taxes|Tax Rates

on each you can set the priority. The note says Tax Rates with the same priority are added together, others are compounded. I'm not sure if that means that those with the same Tax Class but different priority say 0, 1, 2 would be put in as a lump sum.

Try changing the priority and see if it works

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it didn't work. I only have one tax class, so that shouldn't have been the problem, but you never know, so I tried it anyway.

However the excercise did lead me to notice another issue. The Gift Wrap is calculating tax based on the BILLING address, whereas the tax that I set up is calculating on the SHIPPING address. So that's a bit of insight. Apparently this contribution is doing it's own tax calculation.

Anyway - any idea where in the code (which file) tax is calculated? Knowing where to look would definitely help.

I appreciate any insights,

Adrienne

Thanks for the idea.  Unfortunately it didn't work.  I only have one tax class, so that shouldn't have been the problem, but you never know, so I tried it anyway. 

However the excercise did lead me to notice another issue.  The Gift Wrap is calculating tax based on the BILLING address, whereas the tax that I set up is calculating on the SHIPPING address.  So that's a bit of insight.  Apparently this contribution is doing it's own tax calculation.

Anyway - any idea where in the code (which file) tax is calculated?  Knowing where to look would definitely help.

I appreciate any insights,

Adrienne

Adrienne, I tried this mod too and gave up in the end. I'm now using attributes for gift wrapping, and the customer can even choose what sort of wrapping paper to use. Tax is calculated just fine with attributes, of course.

As my client has a few huge articles she won't giftwrap anyway, this turned out fabulous, as I can decide with articles the attribute should be applied to.

See it here in action:

http://www.painted4kids.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Monika,

That's a fabulous idea! What a great help you've been. I'm going to remove the contribution now and set it up as an attribute.

Thanks!!

Adrienne

Archived