• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Weird character in state selection

robokoneko

Hello,

I have noticed some weird text in my online store. When it comes to special characters such as umlauts etc.

Say if a person from germany wanted to register at my store, he would be asked to select a state from the pull down menu. If he lived in the state Th?ringen the pulldown menu looks something like:

screen.jpg

You can see that ? has been replaced by some sort of diamond with a question mark in the middle. If you select it anyway and click continue you get the error:

Please select a state from the States pull down menu.

So the customer can't actually register because of this error.

Has anyone scene this problem before and can offer a solution.

Many Thanks,

Melinda

I'm just having the same problem too, with German Characters and Spanish ones etc.

It's obviously something to do with the character set of something somewhere, but I've not been able to find out how to cure it.

Can anyone help me and Melinda get the right characters in place?

I'm just having the same problem too, with German Characters and Spanish ones etc.

It's obviously something to do with the character set of something somewhere, but I've not been able to find out how to cure it.

Can anyone help me and Melinda get the right characters in place?

if you want to have german characters displayed, you need to send the page in that character set encoding or the browser does not know how to display those special characters.

Treasurer MFC

Ah, I know what you mean...All the pages need to have, eg:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

At the top of them, to tell the browser what characters to use.

How do I now tell the whole installation to put that at the top of every page it sends to a browser?

Ah, I know what you mean...All the pages need to have, eg:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

At the top of them, to tell the browser what characters to use.

How do I now tell the whole installation to put that at the top of every page it sends to a browser?

that define should be in your main language file

Treasurer MFC

I see there's a CHARSET variable in the english.php (and german.php) files in the languages directories and I would assume that each pulls up that setting as the character set, but in the language php files, they seem to be set to the correct iso-8859-1 (is that correct?)

And it's still not working.

• 3 months later...
I see there's a CHARSET variable in the english.php (and german.php) files in the languages directories and I would assume that each pulls up that setting as the character set, but in the language php files, they seem to be set to the correct iso-8859-1 (is that correct?)

And it's still not working.

I have seen this issue too and it is not a character set thing as if you put in sacherlen as the zone in Germany you aslo get the error and that has no special characters. This problem is on most sites I have looked at there are a few that have fixed it just wish they would share how!!

• 2 years later...
This problem is on most sites I have looked at there are a few that have fixed it just wish they would share how!!

I have the same issue, I've tried setting everything to utf8, in the html tag setting the lang, in the meta charset, for setlocale I have tried utf-8, es_ES, es_ES.utf8, es, and spanish. The text is stored in the db correctly with accent characters, also the defines have correct text defined. I even tried changing the collation of the products_description table.

//in includes/languages/espanol.php:

@setlocale(LC_TIME, 'es_ES.utf8');

define('HTML_PARAMS','dir="LTR" lang="es"');

define('CHARSET', 'utf-8');

//in index.php

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

I only have two languages installed, english and spanish. Tried making spanish default, no help.

Tried doing set names utf8 in and that didn't help.

Nothing I do or try gets rid of the � in FF or ? in IE

I'm open to suggestions, please help if you have any ideas at all!

I have the same issue, I've tried setting everything to utf8, in the html tag setting the lang, in the meta charset, for setlocale I have tried utf-8, es_ES, es_ES.utf8, es, and spanish. The text is stored in the db correctly with accent characters, also the defines have correct text defined. I even tried changing the collation of the products_description table.

The MySQL table can have its own character set but the browser actually listens to the character set the server is communicating. It does not look at the settings in your file. You can see that is you use curl (curl -v http://yoursite) or perhaps checking the character set in the browser settings when you open a page of your shop.

The MySQL table can have its own character set but the browser actually listens to the character set the server is communicating. It does not look at the settings in your file. You can see that is you use curl (curl -v http://yoursite) or perhaps checking the character set in the browser settings when you open a page of your shop.

this fixed mine:

in php.ini

default_charset = "ISO-8859-1"

thanks

YOu need to define proper char set.

As also stated in the above comment with a line statement.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Archived