• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upload huge inventory

timr

What is the most efficient method of uploading a lot of products quickly?

I'd like to build a store selling consumer electronics, but uploading each individual item .I've found with oscommerce, to be extremely time consuming.

I'd like to build a store selling consumer electronics, but uploading each individual item .I've found with oscommerce, to be extremely time consuming.

I have 2 DB's. The first is updated regularly by the supplier. The second is my clients osCommerce DB. I wrote a Java app that reads the supplier DB and generates SQL for the osCommerce DB. I then run the SQL and all products/manufacturers/categories are rebuilt.

I find this is quite an easy way to manage a large amount of products (24000 for my client).

Do you know Java or another language to write something similar? The app that I created would need to be cleaned up and then it would have to be customised fairly heavily, I would imagine, for anyone else to use it. So, I don't think it would do any good to give it to you. If I have time to clean it up, I will - and post it, but I'm not sure how much use it would be.

I have 2 DB's. The first is updated regularly by the supplier. The second is my clients osCommerce DB. I wrote a Java app that reads the supplier DB and generates SQL for the osCommerce DB. I then run the SQL and all products/manufacturers/categories are rebuilt.

I find this is quite an easy way to manage a large amount of products (24000 for my client).

Do you know Java or another language to write something similar? The app that I created would need to be cleaned up and then it would have to be customised fairly heavily, I would imagine, for anyone else to use it. So, I don't think it would do any good to give it to you. If I have time to clean it up, I will - and post it, but I'm not sure how much use it would be.

I don't think I'd know enough to write something like that.

Out of curiousity...what kinds of fields does the supplier DB have?

Is the way you're doing it for your client pretty common in this market?

I don't think I'd know enough to write something like that.

Out of curiousity...what kinds of fields does the supplier DB have?

Is the way you're doing it for your client pretty common in this market?

The supplier DB has completely different tables/fields/everything. I just choose which I want and where to put them...(a little bit more complicated than that, but thats the gist of it anyway)

Whether this is commonplace or not, I haven't got a bull's notion :)

You could also try the contribution Easy Populate, which lets you load a CSV file into the OSC database.

Once you have the mod installed you can upload and download the whole database pretty quickly. I have used it on a couple of stores. It is very impressive.

Simon

Archived