• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best contributions to start with? TIA!

Hello to everyone!

First off thanks to everybody for the hard work.

I've just installed osc and wrestled it into working as a vanilla. =)

I'm way new to this, but not php. I've visited all the contributions, checked out all the needed files, wandered through the php for each and then realized I could spend weeks verifying and checking stuff out, trying to get it to work, reinstalling etc... or I could just ask you the experts which ones are best to start with. So I'm asking first in the hopes of getting the definitive list of the best contributions for my needs, along with any gotchas to watch for. I promise to contribute back, so here goes.

- I need to have multiple product options and attributes with the same name, but different pricing. The pricing model is pretty wicked, as it is both custom and standard jewelry, multiple pricing for similiar options. Global pricing rules added to option prices might be nice. Ie...fluctuation in gold.

- Id like it to manage product attributes(dropdowns with options and pricing) and set the options order in the dropdowns and the order of the dropdowns(attributes).

- Id like it to connect with Linkpoint.

- Id like it to serve both retail and wholesale customers, different pricing groups, different discounts per customer, different sale pricing or pricing models.

- I'd like it to support coupons and gift certificates.

- Id like it to allow for searching for distributors/wholesale customers.

- I'd like to be able to search the products.

- I'd like it to have a wishlist.

- I'd like the shipping/packing list to look nice. =)

Thanks for you suggestions and pointers!

Please let me know if there is a better place to ask this. Like I said I'm fresh off the boat when it comes to OSC.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Cheers,

-Colin

• 1 month later...

Yeah, don't you just love this community? More than a month and no replies. What a stellar endorsement for the happy-lovey-dovey communal hippie world of open source software.

Can you tell I'm irritated too? I wish I knew the answers to your questions, but I don't. I think there's a contrib called Special Pricing Per Customer, that may do some of what you want, but not all.

I actually think the way osC is set up (stock) is really, really crude and bare-bones. But hey, it's free, and nothing in life is truly free, so basically osCommerce will impact you heavily not in your wallet but in your sanity and your time.

Archived