• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Zone problems - Domestic vs. International

stashandstuff

Here's what I want to do:

For domestic customers, they can choose from UPS or USPS delivery. They can choose to pay by check/money order, by Paypal or credit card. Domestic customers that are within the state of IL must pay sales tax on their order subtotal.

For customers outside the US, I want to restrict shipping to UPS delivery and credit card payment only. There are no taxes.

I had to set up a tax zone to charge taxes to customers within my state but that seems to be the source of the problem. I created a Tax Zone labeled Domestic and another labeled International. The International Zone was created to encompass all countries and all zones. The Domestic Zone is for tax within the state of Illinois, so I created a sub-zone for the state of IL. I set up a tax rate that corresponds to the Domestic Zone. There is no option to select only the sub-zone.

The payment modules and shipping modules are set by zone. I can restrict to a single zone or allow all zones. I cannot restrict to multiple zones. So, if I set USPS shipping to Domestic, only Domestic orders within IL can use it since the tax zone is for IL only. If I remove the sub-zone, either all domestic orders will be taxed or all IL orders will not be. Is there a way around this?

I should also mention that the International settings work just fine. It's the Domestic settings I'm having a problem with.

Well, I was able to resolve my problems. For the purpose of documentation, here's what I did:

1. I created two zones - State and Domestic

State Zone is Country: US, Zone: My State

Domestic is Country: US, All Zones

2. I set the Tax Zone to State

3. I set the restricted Shipping/Payment types to Domestic (which includes my state) and the unrestricted ones are set to no Zone, which allows all.

This may seem to have been the obvious solution but it wasn't obvious to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I was able to resolve my problems.  For the purpose of documentation, here's what I did:

1. I created two zones - State and Domestic

State Zone is Country: US, Zone: My State

Domestic is Country: US, All Zones

2. I set the Tax Zone to State

3. I set the restricted Shipping/Payment types to Domestic (which includes my state) and the unrestricted ones are set to no Zone, which allows all.

This may seem to have been the obvious solution but it wasn't obvious to me.

I want to have UPS / FedEx for domestic shipping and only DHL for international. Will this sollution help with that? can you possibly walk me through it a little better?

Also, what about limiting payment methods?

Archived