• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

header.php gone weird on me

murray_simon

Hi there - I was following instructions for oscommerce to change the banner gif and it appears the help file instructions are wrong!

The result? A website that I can no longer access.

I am getting the error: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: size() in /var/www/html/oscommerce/admin/includes/header.php on line 51"

Please look carefully at the following help file and its instructions there is an error here that appears to create havoc!

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/C..._and_Layout/227

See the following paragraph:

Change the osCommerce Logo

Using your favorite FTP client, upload your logo to the /catalog/images/ directory of your store.

Download the file catalog/includes/header.php and open it in a text editor.

NOTE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE FROM THE 'CATALOG' DIRECTORY - WELL NO SUCH DIRECTORY EXISTS AND THERE ARE TWO 'INCLUDES' DIRECTORIES - ONE IN THE ROOT AND ONE IN ADMIN... i HAVE OBVIOUSLY CHOSEN THE WRONG ONE AND NOW ALL i GET IS THE ERROR MESSAGE i STATED EARLIER IN THIS TICKET. eVEN WHEN I CORRECT THE ERROR AND RE-UPLOAD IT IT DOES NOT WORK!! pLEASE HELP... I cannot access anything anymore... and the webhosting company that sold this to me offer NO help at all as usual!

Yours depairingly...

Your directory permissions may not allow you to overwrite the file with your FTP client (I had this once on a server) - delete the old file from the server first, then upload a fresh copy.

The file referred to is in your /includes/ directory, not admin/includes/

Matti

Your directory permissions may not allow you to overwrite the file with your FTP client (I had this once on a server) - delete the old file from the server first, then upload a fresh copy.

The file referred to is in your /includes/ directory, not admin/includes/

Matti

Did you amend your application_top.php in the includes/ directory?

Hi Matti,

Thanks for your help, but the problem I have now is that Smartyhost who sold me oscommerce and host it do not offer ANYTHING in terms of tech support or even the vaguest semblance of assistanec to oscommerce...

What does that mean to me?

Well I have no copy of the original oscommerce install therefore I do not have a fresh copy to upload as suggested??

I have asked Smartyhost for itbut after 3 days and trite response from them I am still no closer to resolving the issue..

Is there somewhere I can get the file from?? - And for future reference is there a download site where I can get these files from should I mess up another aspect of it... (hopefully I won't but you never know)

Cheers,

Murray

Up at the top of this page, the blue link Solutions, then downloads.

Just keep in mind that the version may not be the same as you have now so you should be careful overwriting files you have now... or if you haven't heavily modified the site I would just start over. Easiest that way sometimes.

Good luck. =)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Did you amend your application_top.php in the includes/ directory?

Hi Mike,

Sorry nearly missed this response, er no I didn't do that - do I need to? - well obviously I do otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting it.

And amend it in what way?

But do I also need to re-upload an original copy of header .php to the admin/includes folder?

Up at the top of this page, the blue link Solutions, then downloads.

Just keep in mind that the version may not be the same as you have now so you should be careful overwriting files you have now... or if you haven't heavily modified the site I would just start over. Easiest that way sometimes.

Good luck. =)

Thanks Wendy, I will indeed look very closely and maybe the safest thing is to just upload a fresh version..

I am assuming that all the files neccessary are there and one simp[ly uploads them and overwrites them on the site?

Yup, if you are just doing a fresh install that is really all you should have to do. Once you upload everything you can go to yourdomain.com/install and run the install part. You can either choose to overwrite your database by installing it, or you can uncheck that box so it leaves your database alone if you already have products entered.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Yup, if you are just doing a fresh install that is really all you should have to do. Once you upload everything you can go to yourdomain.com/install and run the install part. You can either choose to overwrite your database by installing it, or you can uncheck that box so it leaves your database alone if you already have products entered.

Ok I am a little confused now, please allow me to run through what I think you are saying:

1. Upload unzipped oscommerce files to a temp directory on my site (CMM)

2. Go to the catalog/install folder - then what? Do I double click on the install.php?

3. Am I to assume that it will install all the folders that are already up there and simply overwrite them?

4. Because this is not our server (it is a hosted site) can there be anything that can go pear-shaped with the install?

5. Will I see installation messages if installing via ftp?

Wendy - i appreciate your help very much...

Ok I am a little confused now, please allow me to run through what I think you are saying:

1. Upload unzipped oscommerce files to a temp directory on my site (CMM)

2. Go to the catalog/install folder - then what? Do I double click on the install.php?

3. Am I to assume that it will install all the folders that are already up there and simply overwrite them?

4. Because this is not our server (it is a hosted site) can there be anything that can go pear-shaped with the install?

5. Will I see installation messages if installing via ftp?

Wendy - i appreciate your help very much...

Archived