• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modify Products/Attributes in my Shopping Cart

rchilson

I have searched the forums and contributions for anything related to this topic but to my surprise I do not find any mention of it. It seems like a natural for an online shopping cart.

The Situation:

Once items are placed in the shopping cart a customer has the option to change the quantity or to remove the product from the cart. The customer does not have the ability to change the attributes(options) that they have selected - for example: A customer adds a T-Shirt to the shopping cart and selects Medium for the size. Later when viewing her cart she realizes that she wanted to order a Small instead of a Medium.

If she views the cart and clicks on the image or the product name, she is taken to product_info.php where she can only add the product again. This can be misleading and a bit frustrating for a customer because they think that they are updating the product that is already in their cart.

If the customer has ordered several items, she might not catch that this product has been added twice and the resulting order will create headaches for both the customer and the vendor.

It appears that her only recourse is to remove the product from her cart, find the product again, and then add it with the correct options. Sounds cumbersome doesn't it? :(

The Desired Solution:

When a customer views their shopping cart, the should have the ability to either:

1. Click on a product that is in their cart, modify the options, update the product, and automatically be returned to shopping_cart.php. :)

or

2. When viewing the shopping cart, the available options are shown with the customer's choice pre-selected (just like the quantity is now) and from that page the customer can make changes to the quantity and also change the options. When the "Update" button is selected all of the changes are reflected in the refreshed shopping_cart.php page. :D

The Question:

Any ideas on how to achieve either of the above options? :huh:

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.

Roy

Roy

FalseDawn,

Thank you for your comments and your prompt response. I have searched the contributions and forums extensively with pretty much every related keyword imaginable - without any success. In fact I really thought that this would have been addressed so I was quite surprised to come up empty handed.

Thanks again.

roy

Roy

If nothing exists, you are going to have to look at either custom coding it yourself (how's your PHP?) or paying someone to do it if you really need it.

I would say that solution 1 (whilst not as nice) is a bit simpler to implement, and should be a matter of passing an "update flag" to the product_info.php script, along with the product and options, and if set, showing an "update" button at the bottom.

Option 2 would involve displaying all the options as drop-down (as they are now on the product page), and the code to perform the update would be a bit more complex.

Right - gotta go now - off to a BBQ - hope you get it sorted!

Sounds like the beginning of a good contribution. Although I'm no php programmer, my guess would be to make a while loop in the shopping cart where the attribute option is listed that will parse the database for a product's list of options, display them using the same code as in the product_info page, except have it match up the first one to what's in the cart. You'd have to add some code at the end that would change the attribute number if someone hits update with a new option, but other than that it should be pretty straightfoward.

*EDIT* Haha... falsedawn beat me by about 5 minutes.

I'm not much of a php programmer either Joe, but I do appreciate your feedback. It sounds like you may be on the right track but I will have to look for help from others as to how to implement this.

Roy

Roy

Archived