• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce best on Unix or Windows?

mrcoug

Hello, on a different vendors shopping cart software, I ran into problems where paypal and the update module (running perl) could not be used because it was running on Windows server. The host chose not to run any open source modules, so i was forced to give up some functionality if I wanted to stay with the host.

With OSCommerce, are there any similiar issues?

Is it best to install on a Unix platform?

Thank you

Rob Wilder

Hello, on a different vendors shopping cart software, I ran into problems where paypal and the update module (running perl) could not be used because it was running on Windows server. The host chose not to run any open source modules, so i was forced to give up some functionality if I wanted to stay with the host.

With OSCommerce, are there any similiar issues?

Is it best to install on a Unix platform?

Thank you

Rob Wilder

Rob -

Please keep in mind this is just my own personal opinion, but in my experience I would say that osC runs *best* in a Unix environment. There seems to be a couple of relatively tiny quirks when installing and running on a Windows-based environment. Overall though the software runs pretty well in both environments, but if I was picking an environment solely to run osC I would chose a Unix-based backend.

i would have to agree

on a windows server OSC seems to have its small difficulties....

typically a unix server is best in all aspects anyway........ and OSC on a unix server deffinietly out performs a windows server install in my opinion....

later

indi

The reasons you have problems with osC on a Windows server is not directly due to the server itself. It is due to the fact that hosting companies with Windows servers are scared of letting php run with all of its functionality - so they do things like disabling the file_upload function or only allowing php to be run in Safe Mode.

That's why it's best to run osCommerce on an Apache server, running on a Unix or Linux based operating system.

Vger

I totally agree, I recommend to run it on Unix or Linux enviroment than on Windows based environment. I have tried it on windows xp professional as a local copy to test it and I have had some problems that couldn't solve. e.g. you cannot CHMOD files on windows which is not the case on linux

Also I think because windows is more GUI than Linux so it uses more resources which make load and leaves low resources for the OsCommerce to run through.

In conclusion, I recommend you install it on linux rather than windows.

It's worth noting that since most folks here seem to be running osC on Linux/Unix, the community in general is most familiar with it in that configuration. That alone is one reason (though perhaps not the best reason) to use Linux/Unix as the base operating system.

-jared

Archived