• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ssl safety?

i've never used ssl on a website before, but my host says they offer a shared ssl for my site.

does oscommerece automatically encrypt the numbers in the database after it's received from SSL?

how do i receive the credit card numbers? do they get processed directly through my bank or do i need to manually type the numbers in a credit card machine?

sorry for the dumb questions :)

I wouldnt use a shared ssl, you will need to set up a merchant account to process cc, worldpay does a good one or ask your local bank, set up fees cost around ?200 - ?300 then approx ?20 per month after.

hope that helped

accepting credit cards via ssl isn't that big of an issue for me, i would just like to make use of the option if i have it available.. nothing i'd pay hundreds of dollars for. :)

what are drawbacks to shared ssl?

What i understand shared ssl are worthless, and no one would trust it, you will need a ssl that points to your site costs around $30.00 for the ssl and around $39 to get your own ip address, thats a one of fee.

regards

The email only sends 4 numbers to your email and the others stay on the site with them four missing, so it would be hard for a hacker to get both sets of numbers. it works.

regards

so basically the shared ssl is just a less "business-like" feel to it, there's nothing entirely bad aside from that? as in less-secure, etc.

As i said im no expert, but i had one myself and was told by someone who know his stuff that a shared ssl is not really secure and that i should get one myself.

Im sure someone here can put a little more light on this.

regards

SSL does not encrypt the cc info in your database, it only encrypts the actual transmission of the cc details from the users end.

The info in the db is not encrypted in any way. There is a contribution which will give you encrypted cc info in the db available in the contribs section.

A shared ssl and a dedicated ssl both gives valid security, but the dedicated one gives you a more professional feel as well as alowing you to use for instance "force cookies".

Archived