• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Shop - Feedback appreciated

Hi,

Maybe neutral color in the body of the website would help accentuate the products. I like this color: #eddfd7. I do really feel energized by the header,, but I do feel the product pictures are being short changed and lost in the brilliance.

In my rookie opinion, the brilliance of the yellow color scheme distracts from the music. Thats the only thing I can comment on because this is the most overwhelming.

As a customer, I would have been disappointed to log on to a scottish website and not seen any of the beautiful reds, blacks..?greens and blues I associate with the word scottish. Is a fiddle scottish?

Just a rookie from Texas,

Congratulations on finishing your shop!

I, like kbakba, am a rookie, and I must say that I'm impressed with the level of programming and tweaking you've done to personalize your site.

How about changing the colors within your site a bit to make them all pull off of your glorious header? Maybe make the Box headers a shade of red, and the link text the same blue you have for "Scottish-Music-Shop.com". It might be fun to have the Scottish flag for your Box header linking graphic instead of the blinking X. Just my two-cents worth.

I see some ideas on your site that I'm going to try on my site, so thank you for sharing it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

you are the first person in a long time that doesn't have bloated images on their website! A big pat on the back for you:-)

now, Something about your header image just isn't right. If you like it its fine, But I guess I personally just don't like the gradient look.

Jud

i'd second the thought on the gradient header, change it to something really crisp and glossy and make the name smaller I think. i'd say get rid of all the tan colours and opt for bright colours instead, maybe bright blues and reds and oranges, no idea about scottish colours too much though :thumbsup: cool site generally-speaking...

Thanks for the feedback ....

Scottish Colours

Natural coulour choices would be blue from the Saltire or Yellow/gold from the Lion Rampant (our national flags). I didn't want to go down the tourist tartan trail ... our customers are a wee bit more sophisticated.

Bagpipes/Fiddle

Most certainly the fiddle is a major instrument in traditional and modern Scottish music. As for the bagpipes coming from Pakistan. I guess some folk could have fun arguing about it.

Graphics bloat

It's to easy to forget that broadband ain't ubiquitous and some poor dudes out there are sitting on the end of 56k.

Again .... thanks for the feedback .... peer review and opinion is one of the great things about this place :thumbsup:

It might be fun to have the Scottish flag for your Box header linking graphic instead of the blinking X. Just my two-cents worth.

The blinking X ........ IS the Scottish flag ... the Saltire ... white cross on blue background :rolleyes:

skip the gif in the header - use jpg or at least go higher color in your gif - thats what - 32 colors? not so good for that type of image. Also - chop it up - a few smaller images will load fast enough and you can get a better resoution image in there....

Just a thot.

:) That toned down header logo really helps. I really love the site now! It very relaxing and happy!

So, you mean bagpipes, and the red and black skirts are just TOURIST!???

Hi

I think your site is fantastic. I wonder if you could give me some advice. I am a bit of a novice. How did you Get the background colour and how did you get the writing on the home page- which directory do I have to write in?

This is probably basic stuff but I am learning someone else did my site. I would appreciate any advice

Hi

I think your site is fantastic. I wonder if you could give me some advice. I am a bit of a novice. How did you Get the background colour and how did you get the writing on the home page- which directory do I have to write in?

This is probably basic stuff but I am learning someone else did my site. I would appreciate any advice

Which background colour do you mean?

The writing on the home page is fairly straightforward .... edit catalog/includes/language/english/index.php

edit all the stuff between

define('TEXT_MAIN', ' at around line 10 ... it's fairly obvious :-"

and

'); Which appears just above the following code block ....

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

define('TABLE_HEADING_FEATURED_PRODUCTS', 'Featured Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CATEGORY', 'Featured Products in %s');

The worst thing to watch out for is the '. As in it's, wasn't, don't etc.

You have to precede it with a backslash. If I had a pound for every time I crashed the home page during build ....... I'd spend it all on drink, drugs and women.

Good luck.

And thanks for the positive feedback.

So, you mean bagpipes, and the red and black skirts are just TOURIST!???

Ah'll bluddy red and black skirts you ..... kilts are an integral and important part of the Scots heritage & culture. Tartan on the other hand was a wee invention to keep the English happy in the 19th century and a nice wee earner for the tourist trade today.

Also noticed when clicking on Group/Band A-K or Group/Band J-Z the Corries didnt appear in the listings. Although you do have Corries products (just at the forefront of my mind at the moment as I just finished their eCommerce site www.corries.com)

Deaf Shepherd :lol: :lol:

eh? all we get is the left hand navigation, nothing else. Is that what you intended?

oops ... left a wee test index.htm ... sorted now.

Also noticed when clicking on Group/Band A-K or Group/Band J-Z the Corries didnt appear in the listings.  Although you do have Corries products (just at the forefront of my mind at the moment as I just finished their eCommerce site www.corries.com)

Deaf Shepherd  :lol:  :lol:

I'll have to move the Corries to the bands section ... thx

Just had a quick look at your store, and i like it apart from the colours. Not too sure about the tan/gold combination, but thats your choice.

IMHO your advanced search help text should relate to something that you sell in your store. Might just be me, but it would look better if it did.

Not too sure about the layout of your create account page. looks a little strange being all over the page like it is. Also move your postcode box, to the correct place in the address layout. Shouldnt it come after county and before country.

It also looks as if you have to sort out you metatags and things. It will help with search engines if you do. There are contributions to help you achieve this.

On the positive side, i like your product descriptions and the general feel of the site, just not too sure about the colours.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived