• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Center Column Expanding/Contracting

sundayo

Hi All,

I know you'll probably tell me to search the forum and the knowledge base, but I already have. I've read the page on the knowledge base about changing the site width. Nothing seems to give me an answer to my question, so here goes...

How do I make the center column stop expanding/contracting and just stay put? I've got the index page looking the way I want it, everything is the right width and centered. When you click on the categories or any of the other pages, the center column shrinks up. Everything is still centered to the page, but the middle column is just way to skinny. How can I fix the width of that darn section??

Thanks for any help you can give me (other than the knowledge base - I've been there - for hours)

SundayO

You could try a Contribution for centering the shop. It would make everything fixed width at something like 800 pixels. That seems to be the standard still to cover most browsing. Vger made one that I've heard is good. Ask her or click the link in her signature.

If you guys are referring to the "fixed width site with css" I've already applied those changes and still no luck. The pages are all centered, but that middle section still keeps contracting. It's not so bad on the category and product listings, but on pages with text, you end up having to scroll down forever since that portion of the page is not wide enough...

Have a look if you like.... http://www.pb4less.com this will take you to the main page where everything is the width we want it.

http://www.pb4less.com/shop/conditions.php here's an example of the annoying shrinking center section.

Big sigh.

If you guys are referring to the "fixed width site with css" I've already applied those changes and still no luck.  The pages are all centered, but that middle section still keeps contracting.  It's not so bad on the category and product listings, but on pages with text, you end up having to scroll down forever since that portion of the page is not wide enough...

Have a look if you like.... http://www.pb4less.com  this will take you to the main page where everything is the width we want it.

http://www.pb4less.com/shop/conditions.php  here's an example of the annoying shrinking center section.

Big sigh.

Hi, I checked your pages and the index.php is probably only ok because of that picture table in the center ... it forces the center to expand.

You have the following code when I view source code ... and mind you that value is for your WHOLE page, including the columns ...

<!-- body //--> 
<div align="center">
 <table border="0" width="725" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">

your header picture though is the whole width wide ... that is weird for a store that should look centered. So I assume eitehr you didn't want a centered store or you wanted one and then you need to use a different header pic.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Hi, I checked your pages and the index.php is probably only ok because of that picture table in the center ... it forces the center to expand.

You have the following code when I view source code ... and mind you that value is for your WHOLE page, including the columns ...

<!-- body //--> 
<div align="center">
?<table border="0" width="725" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">

your header picture though is the whole width wide ... that is weird for a store that should look centered. So I assume eitehr you didn't want a centered store or you wanted one and then you need to use a different header pic.

No, we don't care about a centered store. We want it to take up the whole width of the page. At least on a 1024*768 display. I realize the index page is forcing the width, but I can't figure out any other way to do it. And as for the rest of the site, I'm beginning to think it's impossible. As much as I like OSCommerce, sometimes it is such a pain getting it to behave the way you want. Basically, we just want every page to be the same width, the width of the banner at the top. It shouldn't be this hard! Ugh.

No, we don't care about a centered store.  We want it to take up the whole width of the page.  At least on a 1024*768 display.  I realize the index page is forcing the width, but I can't figure out any other way to do it.  And as for the rest of the site, I'm beginning to think it's impossible.  As much as I like OSCommerce, sometimes it is such a pain getting it to behave the way you want.  Basically, we just want every page to be the same width, the width of the banner at the top.  It shouldn't be this hard! Ugh.

why on earth are you then adding a width tag???

I have not checked what your fixcenter sas in stylesheet.css but probably also some width restriction.

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

why on earth are you then adding a width tag???

I have not checked what your fixcenter sas in stylesheet.css but probably also some width restriction.

LOL, because I don't know what else to do!! I am oh so new to all this php stuff. Good old html and I'd be fine, this on the other hand.... whew. Is there an easier way then the bazillion things I've been trying?

It sounds like you must have missed something in the installation of the Contrib. If you really don't like OSC and only need a simple store, try this:

simpler

It is functional and easy to use but not nearly as powerful as osCommerce. I'd hate to see you throw away the work you've done so far for just a simple layout problem, but I understand your frustration. I was there once.

It sounds like you must have missed something in the installation of the Contrib. If you really don't like OSC and only need a simple store, try this:

simpler

It is functional and easy to use but not nearly as powerful as osCommerce. I'd hate to see you throw away the work you've done so far for just a simple layout problem, but I understand your frustration. I was there once.

Oh, goodness, I'm no way near giving up on OSC, only on getting the page width to do what I want. At least for now. We've got to get the rest of it finished and get our marketing campaign started. Being the perfectionist I am, I just wanted this little annoyance cleared up by then.

LOL, because I don't know what else to do!!  I am oh so new to all this php stuff.  Good old html and I'd be fine, this on the other hand.... whew.  Is there an easier way then the bazillion things I've been trying?

ok dokie ... remove the divs for fixed width from your includes/headr.php and footer.php

then check if all your files in catalog have that width part I quoted before ... if yes just remove the width attribute, and all should be fine.

Monika

ok dokie ... remove the divs for fixed width from your includes/headr.php and footer.php

then check if all your files in catalog have that width part I quoted before ... if yes just remove the width attribute, and all should be fine.

Ok, I really feel like a dunce here.... but I've removed the divs (pretty sure I got them all) from header and footer, but when I change the catalog pages (account, for instance) nothing seems to happen. I've tried setting the width to 100% or even deleting it entirely and nothing changes. I've got to be missing something...

Ok, I really feel like a dunce here.... but I've removed the divs (pretty sure I got them all) from header and footer, but when I change the catalog pages (account, for instance) nothing seems to happen.  I've tried setting the width to 100% or even deleting it entirely and nothing changes.  I've got to be missing something...

Oh my god. DUH! I was editing the wrong index.php :blush: Thanks for your help, I think I've finally got the right bid of code to play with. Thanks!!!

Thank you all so much! You are wonderful!!  :thumbsup:

yup, index.php looks much better. BUT you have to do it for all files in catalog! And I think several times in index.php, for the categories and product listing too.

Then open your header.php once more, the bar has still a width attached to it.

Are you aware of your boxes the rounded ones) not matching perfectly in the top right corner, but being off by a pixel or so?

Monika

Hi All,

I know you'll probably tell me to search the forum and the knowledge base, but I already have.  I've read the page on the knowledge base about changing the site width.  Nothing seems to give me an answer to my question, so here goes...

How do I make the center column stop expanding/contracting and just stay put?  I've got the index page looking the way I want it, everything is the right width and centered.  When you click on the categories or any of the other pages, the center column shrinks up.  Everything is still centered to the page, but the middle column is just way to skinny.  How can I fix the width of that darn section??

Thanks for any help you can give me (other than the knowledge base - I've been there - for hours)

SundayO

Just an idea the pages that are giving you the headache are just the 4 information pages, Right!

So why not make a line or blank .gif or .jpg image to the width that you desire the page to be and place it at the bottom of your script on these pages that should then force the page width and the text should recentralize itself.

Dont get mad if it doesn't work but to me it seems more logical than altering tons of codes all through your catalog.

Just a laypersons way of looking at things.

Kind Regards,

Michelle.

Archived