• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Image scaling

madsci

I'm just getting my osCommerce shop set up, and I discovered something that's making me really reconsider my choice of this package.

All of the thumbnail product images are scaled in the browser, which means that the browser has to download the whole full-size image. And since I consider any product image less than about 500x500 pixels useless, only uploading little tiny pictures isn't an option.

For broadband users this might not be a serious issue, but for dialup, it's totally unacceptable. When browsing a category you've got to wait for a whole page worth of 800x600 images to load just so you can see 100x100 thumbnails. Plus, the browser does a much poorer job of scaling the images than, say, Photoshop.

Is there any way to upload a pre-scaled thumbnail image? This browser image scaling thing is very amateurish, and it's also a huge waste of bandwidth. PLEASE, tell me there's another option!

I'm just getting my osCommerce shop set up, and I discovered something that's making me really reconsider my choice of this package.

All of the thumbnail product images are scaled in the browser, which means that the browser has to download the whole full-size image.? And since I consider any product image less than about 500x500 pixels useless, only uploading little tiny pictures isn't an option.

For broadband users this might not be a serious issue, but for dialup, it's totally unacceptable.? When browsing a category you've got to wait for a whole page worth of 800x600 images to load just so you can see 100x100 thumbnails.? Plus, the browser does a much poorer job of scaling the images than, say, Photoshop.

Is there any way to upload a pre-scaled thumbnail image?? This browser image scaling thing is very amateurish, and it's also a huge waste of bandwidth.? PLEASE, tell me there's another option!

Have a look at This Site

Those images are scaled on the fly - tell me whats wrong with them?

The only download is the scaled image so no bandwidth problem there and the site is quick enough.

F5

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.  Only I don't seem to have a product_thumb.php to do that.  Is that an add-on?  Where does it come from?

I did a search in teh contributions using this product image on the fly and found several

Maddie

Archived