• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Downloading Entire OScommerce Code

Someone emailed me asking if they could purchase my website code www.sneakerbase.com, and I agreed. Now I must know the best way to pass along the code? Should I just FTP everything to my computer and send it to them in a zip file or what? I know it takes forever to download just a couple of folders! Please let me know the best and most fastest way to do this...

thanks,

Justin O'Nell

Well, it depends if the database has been altered. You might need to do a backup of that first. Be careful if you do. You should eliminate any customer data first. I know in my store, my product images and my customer/order info take up a huge part of the file space/database space. If you drop both, it would probably help the speed. Do you have the rights to the code to sell it? Nice shop, by the way. I can see why someone would want it.

Well, it depends if the database has been altered. You might need to do a backup of that first. Be careful if you do. You should eliminate any customer data first. I know in my store, my product images and my customer/order info take up a huge part of the file space/database space. If you drop both, it would probably help the speed. Do you have the rights to the code to sell it? Nice shop, by the way. I can see why someone would want it.

thanks for your comments dan. i did all the design work and hired a php programmer to help with the programming so i should have full rights to sale it if i would like. so you think i should do a backup of all my files? what is the best way to backup my files? How would you do it? Please look at these pictures of my Cpanel. I think i am supposed to do it in here?

http://www.sneakerbase.com/0sneakers/backup-1.jpg

http://www.sneakerbase.com/0sneakers/backup-2.jpg

Should I do that and save everything to my harddrive? Is that what it would do?

Then i would delete all the customer info and products on the code that is on my harddrive and send it to the client in a zip file? is this what you would do?? I get confused on all of this stuff so i just want to make sure i do it right :D

I don't know how your panel functions. I'd pull a full dump of my database using phpmyadmin (might be on your panel) then clean out all customer data. Be thorough. There are several tables with data. Then I'd use an FTP client, Filezilla, to pull down all the files. (maybe your panel will do this just fine). Then I'd zip it up along with the cleaned up database and load all of it to a directory on my server. (or you could burn a CD and mail it) Then, I'd password protect that directory. Then e-mail the client and give the login/password. That way they can pull down as much as they want/can at a time and if there are any issues you can throw updates to the same place. Your php programmer could probably do all this in a jiffy for you.

Archived