• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Speed of OsC browsing

dsully

It is most likely your host. Some have slow, crowded servers, some have slow mysql access. Your old html site (just guessing) may have been largely cached in your browser, too.

OSC is usually plenty quick to load with a good connection and a decent host.

Any suggestions on a good host company? We are curently using HostExcellence. I have noticed that late at night around 10pm or so browsing from page to page is around 2 to 5 sec. During the day is 6-12 sec, too slow.

It is most likely your host. Some have slow, crowded servers, some have slow mysql access. Your old html site (just guessing) may have been largely cached in your browser, too.

OSC is usually plenty quick to load with a good connection and a decent host.

I'm happy with my host, 1and1. I've also heard dreamhost is good. If you can afford a dedicated server, it will help no matter who hosts.

Remember, though, it may also be your ISP that gets slow during the day, not your host.

There are also other ways to speed up your site. Look for Chemo's contributions - - Page Cache is a very good one to reduce page load time. He also started a thread about optimizing your site - - reducing size of images, using a caching thumbnailer, turning off category counters, etc.

The responsiveness of your host's web server is only one piece of the entire equation.

-jared

There are also other ways to speed up your site.  Look for Chemo's contributions - - Page Cache is a very good one to reduce page load time.  He also started a thread about optimizing your site - - reducing size of images,  using a caching thumbnailer, turning off category counters, etc.

The responsiveness of your host's web server is only one piece of the entire equation.

-jared

exactly, some javascript, marquees and page background images could also substantionaly slow down browsing.

Treasurer MFC

Archived