• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is Paypal IPN?

scamel

I already have a Paypal account and want to use it with my store.

Do I need to download this?

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...l/search,paypal

what does IPN stand for?

when I tried to order something just now (fake item) I got this error msg

Safari could not open the page ?https://(url)/checkout_shipping.php?osCsid=8929121472193f4b9786ecba630615de? because the server stopped responding.

I tried it many times and kept getting the same msg. Any ideas?

Have you got an ssl certificate, either full or shared, configured for your website? If not then set enable_ssl to false in your configure.php files.

The PayPal IPN (supported by osCommerce Team Members) means that you don't have to turn on the 'auto-return' feature in your PayPal account to get people's orders automatically returned to your site and entered into the database. Also, if you know how to set it up, you can encrypt the value of the purchases so that someone cannot alter the amount before passing the order to PayPal.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using paypal IPN yesterday and I have QT pro installed as well. I noticed that inventory doesn't get updated when a customer complets the order. Anyone else have this problem?

I already have a Paypal account and want to use it with my store.

Do I need to download this?

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...l/search,paypal

what does IPN stand for?

when I tried to order something just now (fake item) I got this error msg

Safari could not open the page ?https://(url)/checkout_shipping.php?osCsid=8929121472193f4b9786ecba630615de? because the server stopped responding.

I tried it many times and kept getting the same msg. Any ideas?

The IPN stands for Instant Payment Notification. It means that your shop is notified as soon as the customer makes the payment. The version you are using does not have this feature so if a customer goes to PayPal, pays for the order and then leaves, you won't get notified that the order is complete. So, if you are going to use PayPal, it is very important to install the Oscommerce_PayPal_IPN contribution. I can't say why you received that error but you cannot place an order with your own account. You can setup a test account but that is a lot of work for one site. Your best option is to enable the module, add a product that costs $1 and ask someone you know to place an order.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you set up your paypal account correctly, you will get the email notification, and after the sale people wil get redirected back to your website. Saying that it cant be done without paypal ipn is rubbish. You have to enter your profile to get the shipping to work, so you may as well make the other changes whilst you are there.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

There's no doubt that the PayPal IPN module supported by osCommerce Team Members is the easiest of installs you'll ever have to do - it's completely free-standing and requires no alterations to any other files. Getting it to work with your website's native encryption capabilities is another matter.

Without that encryption you may as well stick with the default PayPal module and just turn on the 'auto-return' feature in your PayPal account, which gets around the problem of people not hitting the 'Continue' button when they finish at the PayPal site.

Vger

If you set up your paypal account correctly, you will get the email notification, and after the sale people wil get redirected back to your website.  Saying that it cant be done without paypal ipn is rubbish.  You have to enter your profile to get the shipping to work, so you may as well make the other changes whilst you are there.

I have the auto-return set up and most of the time it works fine, but a couple of times now I have gotten the paypal payment, but no email from OSC or order stored in the OSC database for the order. :( I have to email the customer and ask what he/she was actually ordering.

Perhaps some client side "security feature" is blocking the auto-return from happening? Any ideas?

Well, in that scenario this is where the PayPal IPN does come in useful - because it pre-stores the shopping basket before people go to PayPal, so if you don't get the info returned to you there'll be a copy of the order on your system under Preparing PayPal [iPN].

However, there are also contributions that will do that for you.

With regard to the intermittent nature of those returns to your site it's likely a problem with the server your site is on being overloaded - and some of them just time-out. The PayPal website does occasionally go offline for maintenance, but this doesn't usually affect order processing.

Vger

If you set up your paypal account correctly, you will get the email notification, and after the sale people wil get redirected back to your website.  Saying that it cant be done without paypal ipn is rubbish.  You have to enter your profile to get the shipping to work, so you may as well make the other changes whilst you are there.

This is bad information. There are countless messages here about problems with orders not showing up when using the default PayPal module. I expereinced it myself, even with the auto return option on. It doesn't really matter what caused those failures, the simple fact is that installing the IPN version fixed it everytime. Advising anyone not to install it is just plain bad advice.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived