• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Move website to root of site

crafted4you

This may have been asked before but I am having trouble finding an answer to it. My host installs OSC automaticaly when you click a button and I have now made loads of changes to it and to get the the catalog the address is.

http://www.crafted4you.co.uk/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php

But I want it to show when they enter

http://www.crafted4you.co.uk

Without it redirecting

I read a long time ago on the forum that it is not hard to do and you should only need to change about 5 files but I dont know what they are or what to change so any help would be great.

Download all of your catalog folder to your computer.

Then upload the contents of that catalog folder (but not the folder itself) to the root of your website.

Then edit includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php taking out those parts of the pathways that refer to: /nfoscomm/catalog/

If you had your 'admin' folder protected then you will need to redo that now that it is located in a new level.

Once you're happy that all is working okay then you can delete the nfoscomm folder and all its sub-folders and files.

Vger

Thanks for the advise.

The admin I think was just set to be protected by the host by the way they had set it up to install as the only way I could get to it was by loging in to the hosts control panel. If I move it is the protection done by creating the .htaccess and .htpasswd files.

Also I had a look at your site and some others and how do you get it look completely different. Did you all ready know alot about the code or was it just alot of playing around and the forums.

Also I have noticed that once I downloaded the site it now comes up with the below message at the top when ever I look at the site now

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /mnt/web_i/d14/s42/b0244bb2/www/nfoscomm/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

Most web hosting control panels (cPanel, Ensim etc) provide the ability for you to follow a link to Directory Protection or Password Protect, then select a folder and password protect it. Using this feature saves you having to make any .htaccess fies yourself.

About the warning message - this is because you need to reset the permissions on the includes/configure.php file. In your Web Hosting Control Panel look for a link to File Manager, navigate to the file, and then use the File Manager's facilities to change the permissions. On a Windows server 644 should be okay, but 444 or 400 on an Apache server using Unix or Linux operating systems.

My 'Live Entry' website is a custom made site that I built for someone else.

Vger

Thanks again.

The control panel is not one that I have come across before like cpanel and I have use a few different hosts just for basic html sites. I cant see any options to password protect the folders so I am guessing I will have to make the files but thats not a problem.

They do have a file manager and when you go the file there is a bit to click on for permissions and it opens a new window where there are there sections ( Owner, Group and Public ) all with three tick boxes next to them with r, w and x.

Alot of the files say next to them under permissions ( -rwxr-xr-x- ) and the configure.php along with some others like database_tables.php have ( -rw-r-r- ) so I am not to sure how most of the files should be set.

444 worked great. is there any other files that I should look out for the permissions. Also once the site is moved and I have set the password I take it will then be able to access it by putting in the address of the admin files as before it just came up with a page by the host about cookies. Also the store was instaled by there control panel and it comes up with numbers of stores installed and what they are using as they set limits. If I un-install the one they setup and copy the files to some where else do you think it would show up as having a store and if not do you think this may affect it some how.

Archived