• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need to rant.

MPeace

What's the worst thing that can happen to a coding junky?

A power surge that frazzles your hard drive and PSU!!!!

I'm without my home PC, I had started to get the shakes so I've resorted to using my daughters just to get a fix. Cold turkey I believe the condition is called, dropped from 5 hours a day to just 20 minutes in the morning just to keep me going until the delivery of a new machine.

It could be a blessing in disguise though because I have to upgrade, theres no point in buying an out of date spec machine from free ads (with all its whistles and whines). So I've chosen a P4 3.2 with 1028 RAM 2X200GB Raid HDD and GeForce 128 for what I feel is a reasonable price of 650 pounds sterling.

The only problem I will have is network connectivity with my little Linux dev box P2 233 with 80MB RAM. It runs oscommerce nicely as long as I don't put in more than 2000 products.

Thanks for listening, that should keep me going for a few more hours.

Matt Peace

That bites. Make sure you get a half-decent UPS for this one. Mine has saved my bacon a few times already.

BTW, Nice avatar. I just went skydiving myself for the first time a week or so ago.

-jared

Ditto on the UPS suggestion. And to protect such a sweet machine as what you just described (that no doubt cost more than a few pennies) I would suggest making sure it is one that provides automatic voltage regulation.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

?650-00 seems a bit expensive, if thats all you got for your money, but hey its your choice. Buy a UPS and save some hassle next time, they were designed for a reason.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

?650-00 seems a bit expensive, ...

I don't know, those twin 200GB drives in a raid config add a good bit to the price as well as pre-installed 1GB RAM.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

You don't need a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) for a home computer - no matter how good it is. What you need is a Surge Protector - which only costs a few pounds.

Vger

You don't need a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) for a home computer - no matter how good it is.  What you need is a Surge Protector - which only costs a few pounds.

Vger

Surges are the biggest system killer, but when you spend a lot of money on a nice system, a little more spent to ensure good clean power to it is a good investment.

Household power is often worse than business lines at delivering temporarily under or over voltage conditions. Either of which is not good for the health of your system.

And while modern hard drives are better at gently parking the heads when a power failure happens, I still think a UPS with AVR is a good investment.

Guess I've been lucky, but I've never experienced any sort of power-related catastrophes. Touch wood!

Small domestic power fluctuations should be inconsequential with a good power supply - it will be regulated to well below the domestic voltage anyway.

A decent PSU will also include inbuilt circuitry to prevent over voltage spikes from damaging components, too - the PSU should die before allowing damaging voltage to anything else.

At least that's the theory.

Run your system on a cheapo PSU and that's another ball game.

I read somewhere that during storms, more TVs are killed due to lightening hitting a dish/aerial or whatever and travelling down the wire that way than by power surges...

Luckily, most PCs do not have a direct connection to the outside world.

A decent PSU will also include inbuilt circuitry to prevent over voltage spikes from damaging components, too - the PSU should die before allowing damaging voltage to anything else.

At least that's the theory.

Run your system on a cheapo PSU and that's another ball game.

In theory it works, but it doesn't always really work. I live in a semi-rural area and power gets kind of wacky in the area. I have good protection on my computer equipment and don't have problems. But I have helped troubleshoot friends computers that have had problems. It generally starts with a power supply that failed. Replace it, and then there are problems with the processor and/or motherboard. This has happened with Dell, Gateway and HP/Compaq computers. (granted they are 2-3 years old)

In support of your point, some custom builds with retail boxed Antec PSU's sacrificed the power supply but saved the system.

But for those that buy most name brand systems, I would say that good power protection that covers all four power problems (rapid power loss, under voltage, over voltage and surges) is a good investment. IMHO, $100-$150 is worth it to protect a $1000 to $2000 worth of computer and monitor.

And these problems are not limited to rural areas, when the big cities have their roaming brown out conditions in late Summer, there are obviously under voltage conditions, but also is very prone to spikes and over voltage conditions during the transitions.

Agh just twigged you're in the USA Mike. Here in the UK we don't have rolling brown-outs - not even sure what they are. Apart from outages caused by power lines downed in storms the only time I can remember having power off for hours at a time was during a miners strike in the 1970's. And even that wouldn't happen these days, as coal fired power stations are a rarity and will soon be a thing of the past completely.

Vger

....Here in the UK we don't have rolling brown-outs - not even sure what they are.? Apart from outages caused by power lines downed in storms the only time I can remember having power off for hours at a time was during a miners strike in the 1970's.? .....

Vger

The only thing I lose in a thunderstorm is my Phone line - so no Internet conmnectivity LOL

What a sweet country we live in :D

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

?650-00 seems a bit expensive, if thats all you got for your money, but hey its your choice.  Buy a UPS and save some hassle next time, they were designed for a reason.

I did get a little more, theres also a DVD burner forgot about that. It arrived today and I started to set it up and then...

NTLDR is missing

ctl-alt-del to restart

It then took me half an hour to realise that the USB media card reader that I plugged in and then setup was the primary boot disk in the bios!!

Wouldn't it be a boring life if everything went smoothly.

Matt Peace

You should try building the darn things for a living. Its a nightmare. Every customer wants somethiung different. I have just spent 4 hours trying to recover a messd up bios update on a 900 quid all singing all dancing system. Got it in the end though. That will teach me to try to be clever.

Just got to burn it in now for 12 hours and hope its ok. Should run at 120% over night with no troubles. Famous last words.

Thats my rant over with.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 1 year later...

Modern technology is a beautiful thing! I haven't had any power problems where I live in Wisconsin, but the way our area is growing, that may change. I even keep my internet connection during storms since I have broadband internet (I'll never go back to dial up!). I don't have a UPS, but I do have a rather pricey powerstrip with serious surge protection.

Since I use a laptop, I have found the benefits of spending good money on a cooling fan dock for my laptop. After having to order a replacement fan from IBM and going 5 days without my computer, that was the first thing I did while waiting for the new cooling fan. I went through withdrawl for those 5 days too! It's amazing how these little machines have taken over our lives!

I lost my mind building a computer for my kids (I did have help), I don't even want to think about doing it for other people! I know my limits in patience!

Lefty

Archived