• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"PayPal Account Optional" with IPN 1.1 module

For donations or "pay now" buttons paypal offers the buyers to pay without signing up to paypal first. I this option available through oscommerce with the ipn 1.1 module installed? When I try It always asks for an paypal account.

For customers to sign up twice (once for the store and once for a pay account) is a bit much I think. Is there any way to use paypal without signing up first?

roland

I don't use the IPN, just the stock Paypal module with Paypal set to Auto-Return in my Paypal account area, and allowing checkout without an account is also a setting in my Paypal account preferences.

If you are worried about lost orders, the auto-return feature is very reliable, but you could also use a different Contribution than the Paypal IPN. I think there's one called Order Logging that does about the same. Personally, I think Auto-Return works just fine.

I don't use the IPN, just the stock Paypal module with Paypal set to Auto-Return in my Paypal account area, and allowing checkout without an account is also a setting in my Paypal account preferences.

If you are worried about lost orders, the auto-return feature is very reliable, but you could also use a different Contribution than the Paypal IPN. I think there's one called Order Logging that does about the same. Personally, I think Auto-Return works just fine.

I wanna use the paypal module (ipn or the default module doesn't really matter). What I don't want is that people need to sign up for a paypal account to pay for the products. There is an option in my paypal account settings to make the signup optional, but it seems not to work together with my shop. Maybe only works with Paypals own cart system and donation buttons.

Any idea?

As far as I know, this is working fine for me. The problem is that you and Paypal will still both need information from a customer in order to take care of your respective business. Them to collect money safely and correctly and you for your needs. OSCommerce is limited in its checkout options but there are a few Contributions that will streamline the process (somewhat). I just read something about Paypal opening up a process that will make it comperable to using authorize.net or any other cc processor. Your customer will never leave your site, so they won't have to add info twice. I'd expect to see the code figured out here soon and a Contribution made. That is, if it's a good offering by Paypal.

The ipn 1.1 has an extra mod which prepopulates the customer info at the paypal page.

This is the process, the customer presses confirm order on your site and is sent to paypal , the screen which shows has some misc info and a login box for paypal customers....but in there is a text, someting like this, if you do not have a paypal account click here...

Clicking on this leads you to a new page where the customer can input his/hers cc info and pay without signing up for a paypal account.

If you have installed the extra mod, the fileds here are pre populated with the customers info, he/she only has to input their cc info.

The ipn 1.1 has an extra mod which prepopulates the customer info at the paypal page.

This is the process, the customer presses confirm order on your site and is sent to paypal , the screen which shows has some misc info and a login box for paypal customers....but in there is a text, someting like this, if you do not have a paypal account click here...

Clicking on this leads you to a new page where the customer can input his/hers cc info and pay without signing up for a paypal account.

If you have installed the extra mod, the fileds here are pre populated with the customers info, he/she only has to input their cc info.

got it... sorry didn't check that link.. thought it's a link to sign up because it says "if you don't have a paypal account YET click here"... a bit misleading. Do you know why they ask for the billing address for a credit card transaction? It's a required field.

Anyway, looks pretty good... will customize the paypal screens a bit and then it almost looks like part of the shop :P

Thanks

Do you know why they ask for the billing address for a credit card transaction? It's a required field.

Anyway, looks pretty good... will customize the paypal screens a bit and then it almost looks like part of the shop  :P

Thanks

Yes, it does look good! I think I'll have to take another look at the IPN.

They ask for the billing address to lower chances of fraud. I know my processor charges three different rates depending on how sure they are about the validity of the transaction. They judge this partially on the numbers in the street address and zip code.

The pre-populate mod i metioned, makes it so that the billing address is already filled out with your customers name and billing address when they come to the cc screen... :D

The pre-populate mod i metioned, makes it so that the billing address is already filled out with your customers name and billing address when they come to the cc screen...  :D

Sounds interesting.....What's the exact name of the mod? Can you give me the link to that contribution? Couldn't find it in the contribution section... it's not easy-populate, right?

Thanks

Sounds interesting.....What's the exact name of the mod? Can you give me the link to that contribution? Couldn't find it in the contribution section... it's not easy-populate, right?

Thanks

osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2

The form mod is:

10 Feb 2005 - PayPal Form Prepopulator (PFP) 1.0

Archived