• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changing front/home page text to my own

Hi all,

I am trying (desperately) to configure my store, and now am stuck. I want to remove the generic oscommerce text to my own (simply "under construction" for now), but I can't work out how to!

The instructions say the following:

Editing Page Texts

The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:

[path to catalog]/includes/languages/english/index.php

That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules.

The text is set in the following manner:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

OK, I understood so far. BUT none of the instructions lead me to a working page where I can edit or input my own text!

How do I edit text, please?

Look below my name for the 'Psst?? Got a parse error' link and it'll tell you how to edit files.

Also, when adding your own text always escape any apostrophies you use in words with a preceeding backslash, as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Vger

All you need to do is open the file

edit, and upload the file to the appropriate directory with your FTP client program.

Do not, as the instructions suggest, use the File Manager. Other than that bad bit of advice, it's pretty straightforward.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

All you need to do is open the file

edit, and upload the file to the appropriate directory with your FTP client program.

Do not, as the instructions suggest, use the File Manager. Other than that bad bit of advice, it's pretty straightforward.

But I've tried that, and this is what I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /includes/languages/english/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks.... :blush:

Look below my name for the 'Psst?? Got a parse error' link and it'll tell you how to edit files.

Also, when adding your own text always escape any apostrophies you use in words with a preceeding backslash, as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Vger

I would if I could even find the file I needed....I feel so thick, and my brain isn't acting like a sponge when it comes to this :(

But I've tried that, and this is what I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /includes/languages/english/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks....  :blush:

You're apparently trying to call a page in a browser. You need to be using an FTP program to download/upload the files from your server.

You're apparently trying to call a page in a browser. You need to be using an FTP program to download/upload the files from your server.

Oh... :blink: I thought I'd be able to do it all online, that's what I thought Oscommerce was all about?

You were misinformed. The online admin pages will let you do many routine catalog maintenance tasks, but to customize your store's appearance and function you'll also need to work with php and css files.

If you don't want to upload/download the files to make changes, you can just use the cPanel editor to change them directly on the server. Just navigate to the file you want to change and then click on EDIT.

Archived