• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

banned from yahoo, do I have bannable content?

ashleylr

Hi Everyone,

I have a number of the SEO contributions (older SEO URLs, SEO sitemap, etc) installed. Recently I discovered I had been banned on yahoo, I'm trying to find out why because I don't "think" I'm using any techniques that are bannable. However yesterday I got a call from someone out there who had found my website in the yahoo directory and said that he checked my source code and found a number of things that needed to be fixed or else I would be in risk of getting banned. I'm sure he wanted to get some business from it, but obviously he could probably tell I had already been taken off of yahoo so it hit the right button with me.

Do any of these contributions cause issues when it comes to getting banned? Can anyone check my source code and see what he might be talking about as far as things that are probably causing my ban on yahoo (and risking my positioning on other engines)? any help you could provide would be much appreciated!!

My Webpage

Its a quick question for you: how do you find if Yahoo has banned your URL?

search for the URL in yahoo, search for very specific content (like an entire phrase from your site), none of my pages come up. I'm in the directory so that will come up, but there are no indexed pages. On the other hand, I'm doing fine on google, msn, all the others....

Can't see anything immediately wrong, although the big bunch of links at the bottom are a bit "spammy" and would be better in a separate sitemap page or something.

You haven't been using anything copyrighted at another site or anything like that, have you?

Quote from home page:

"View all of our wedding favors and wedding gifts

Moments of Elegance is available 7 days a week to answer all your questions about our unique wedding favours, discount wedding favors, personalized gifts and bridal shower favors. To speak to someone about wedding favors, wedding favor ideas or gifts for your special occasion, click here to Chat with a wedding consultant. We are here to help you find the perfect personalized wedding favors or gifts."

How many times are you trying to get the word "wedding" in here?

Can't see anything immediately wrong, although the big bunch of links at the bottom are a bit "spammy" and would be better in a separate sitemap page or something.

You haven't been using anything copyrighted at another site or anything like that, have you?

Quote from home page:

"View all of our wedding favors and wedding gifts

Moments of Elegance is available 7 days a week to answer all your questions about our unique wedding favours, discount wedding favors, personalized gifts and bridal shower favors. To speak to someone about wedding favors, wedding favor ideas or gifts for your special occasion, click here to Chat with a wedding consultant. We are here to help you find the perfect personalized wedding favors or gifts."

How many times are you trying to get the word "wedding" in here?

I'm not using anything copyrighted, no. I'm actually not targeting the word wedding, but regardless, my keyword density is still pretty low....

things like:

<h1 style="color: rgb(119, 72, 120);" b97595="">

Are not generally a good idea - changing the color of a <h1> tag can sometimes be seen as an attempt to "deceive".

Plus, you have more than one <h1> tag on your index page.

The only way you'll know for sure is to contact Yahoo, though.

Google is much more likely to ban you than Yahoo so if you are doing fine on Google, I doubt that you have been banned from Yahoo. But as FalseDawn suggested, the only way to know is to ask them.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Google is much more likely to ban you than Yahoo so if you are doing fine on Google, I doubt that you have been banned from Yahoo. But as FalseDawn suggested, the only way to know is to ask them.

Jack

thats whats wierd, I'm fine on google but zeo pages indexed in yahoo. I've emailed them 3 times and get the same generic email saying I can go to their faq's for the bannable offenses which I really don't htink I have any of...

thats whats wierd, I'm fine on google but zeo pages indexed in yahoo.  I've emailed them 3 times and get the same generic email saying I can go to their faq's for the bannable offenses which I really don't htink I have any of...

false dawn, how should I change the color of an H1 tag then? I'm not changing it to the background color but if I don't change it is black which just looks bad with the rest of my color scheme.

You should have your <h1> defined in your stylesheet, eg:

h1{font-family:tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:20px;font-weight:normal;color:#800000;margin:0px;}

If you are using (like I see you are), size modifiers like <small> also, then this makes the use of the <h1> tag somewhat suspect anyway.

Consider using <h2>, <h3> tags instead, with appropriate styles defined.

You should have your <h1> defined in your stylesheet, eg:

h1{font-family:tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:20px;font-weight:normal;color:#800000;margin:0px;}

If you are using (like I see you are), size modifiers like <small> also, then this makes the use of the <h1> tag somewhat suspect anyway.

Consider using <h2>, <h3> tags instead, with appropriate styles defined.

Is that alone something that yahoo could ban me for??

I have no idea - rather than speculating, you need to resolve the issue with Yahoo.

Absolutely, There is an 800 # for yahoo I had to use it once with their auctions and seemed to be a central # with many departments. I don't have it anymore but seek it out asap

I'm amazed that you got listed by any of the major search engines. Using any keyword more than three times on a page, in meta tags Description or Keywords is counted as keyword spamming. Your homepage would count as nothing but keyword spamming, and your meta tags need a serious look as well.

Vger

I'm amazed that you got listed by any of the major search engines.  Using any keyword more than three times on a page, in meta tags Description or Keywords is counted as keyword spamming.  Your homepage would count as nothing but keyword spamming, and your meta tags need a serious look as well.

Vger

my keyword densities actually match that of all the websites in the top 10 on both search engines, I've done a lot of research into SEO and I've never heard that more than 3 times is considered spamming, look at hte top results for any keyword and i guarantee the words are used much more than 3 times...

If you are using this Seo Sitemap contribution you are begging to get banned...and if you are not already banned in Google et. all it will quickly follow.....

If you want to know why, read the The Google Webmaster Guidelines

If you are using this Seo Sitemap contribution you are begging to get banned...and if you are not already banned in Google et. all it will quickly follow.....

If you want to know why, read the The Google Webmaster Guidelines

Jumping Rabbit,

I agree!! I installed that contrib not really knowing exactly what it did and as I have studied SEO techniques more and more and realized what that contribution did, I realized how bad it was!! That contribution should really be eliminated or come with a warning that it employs cloaking, spamming and other techniques that can get you banned. I got rid of it last week and replaced it with the standard all products page.

Now my question is, now that the damage is done, how can I get Yahoo to give me another chance? Has anyone been banned on Yahoo and was able to get themselves reinstated?

Jumping Rabbit,

I agree!!  I installed that contrib not really knowing exactly what it did and as I have studied SEO techniques more and more and realized what that contribution did, I realized how bad it was!!  That contribution should really be eliminated or come with a warning that it employs cloaking, spamming and other techniques that can get you banned.  I got rid of it last week and replaced it with the standard all products page. 

Now my question is, now that the damage is done, how can I get Yahoo to give me another chance?  Has anyone been banned on Yahoo and was able to get themselves reinstated?

I worked with a top SEO firm in Chicago for a while this year...I'd be interested in knowing what that contrib does, exactly.

Cloaking in SEO terms generally means using a script to show a different page to an SEO spider than what a human user would see. The contrib claims to use javascript redirects, which Google's spider will follow, so I'm not sure if that would count as a cloak, other than to cause confusion with a massive number of redirects. This will probably cause problems with transfer of page rank as well, which will in turn have a negative effect on your overall rankings and the importance of each of your pages.

What does the contrib do, in terms of cloaking / spamming?

-Dave.

I worked with a top SEO firm in Chicago for a while this year...I'd be interested in knowing what that contrib does, exactly.

Cloaking in SEO terms generally means using a script to show a different page to an SEO spider than what a human user would see. The contrib claims to use javascript redirects, which Google's spider will follow, so I'm not sure if that would count as a cloak, other than to cause confusion with a massive number of redirects. This will probably cause problems with transfer of page rank as well, which will in turn have a negative effect on your overall rankings and the importance of each of your pages.

What does the contrib do, in terms of cloaking / spamming?

-Dave.

According to the contribution, it is set up specifically so that the spider does not follow the javascript redirect ("it ignores it"). so the redirect sends customers to your main page, but the spider ignores the redirect and goes to a really bland white and black text page that lists your keywords and meta tags/descriptions over and over. on that page there are 2 links, one to a page with a list/link to all the products and another link to all the categories. not really knowing that much about seo initially I thought this sounded interesting. Now I realize how damaging it has been....

what I need to figure out now is how to reverse the damage as far as my rankings go...

It's one of those gray areas. It creates HTML sitemaps for the category and product pages. Google says if you provide data for them that is not what your customers get (paraphasing), then it's considered cloaking. The sitemaps (a page of links) that it creates are not seen by the visitor. However, any of the links in the sitemap are useable by the visitor. I doubt that it would get anyone banned for that reason but with google...

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's one of those gray areas. It creates HTML sitemaps for the category and product pages. Google says if you provide data for them that is not what your customers get (paraphasing), then it's considered cloaking.  The sitemaps (a page of links) that it creates are not seen by the visitor. However, any of the links in the sitemap are useable by the visitor. I doubt that it would get anyone banned for that reason but with google...

Jack

Hmmm. The thing is, webmasters have been saying for years that Google and other spiders can't follow javascript at all, but I've proven this wrong on more than one occasion. www.nirmanweb.com is currently ranked number one for "nonprofit ngo" and uses an extensive, non-SEO-friendly javascript navigation system. Also, anyone who's ever dabbled in Google-hacking can tell you that Google's spiders crawl and cache a LOT more than you'd expect.

I would tear down your site completely, and resubmit it to the search engines once it's rebuilt. Use a different design, no shady SEO, totally clean from the ground up, and then attempt to have it re-included in the rankings. Honestly, though, your best bet will probably be to buy a new domain name, put it on a new server (different hosting, different IP range) and start over, taking the best of your old site and rebuilding everything else.

Cloaking normally involves analysing a site visitor (spider or human?) and then serving up different content based on who it is...SEO optimized content for the spiders, and marketing optimized content to the humans. This does seem to be a variation of that idea, with a cheap trick to avoid complicated cloaking scripts...trying to get by with a redirect which you *think* the spider won't be able to follow.

Definitely a contrib to avoid...and one which violates Google's terms of service. Is there some way to have the contrib removed? There's absolutely no purpose in using it, since any major search engine will eventually kill you for it.

-Dave.

Hmmm. The thing is, webmasters have been saying for years that Google and other spiders can't follow javascript at all, but I've proven this wrong on more than one occasion. www.nirmanweb.com is currently ranked number one for "nonprofit ngo" and uses an extensive, non-SEO-friendly javascript navigation system. Also, anyone who's ever dabbled in Google-hacking can tell you that Google's spiders crawl and cache a LOT more than you'd expect.

I would tear down your site completely, and resubmit it to the search engines once it's rebuilt. Use a different design, no shady SEO, totally clean from the ground up, and then attempt to have it re-included in the rankings. Honestly, though, your best bet will probably be to buy a new domain name, put it on a new server (different hosting, different IP range) and start over, taking the best of your old site and rebuilding everything else.

Cloaking normally involves analysing a site visitor (spider or human?) and then serving up different content based on who it is...SEO optimized content for the spiders, and marketing optimized content to the humans. This does seem to be a variation of that idea, with a cheap trick to avoid complicated cloaking scripts...trying to get by with a redirect which you *think* the spider won't be able to follow.

Definitely a contrib to avoid...and one which violates Google's terms of service. Is there some way to have the contrib removed? There's absolutely no purpose in using it, since any major search engine will eventually kill you for it.

-Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately at this point, I am not willing to start over on this site. I have already removed this contribution and any others that might be considered questionable. I don't think there is anythign else content or code wise that would be in violation of their terms. I just don't have time to go through the whole thing all over again plus my website has kind of formed a reputation in the industry, I"m not about to lose that just because of yahoo. I get great rankings on google so for now that is enough. I've been communicating with some people at yahoo so hopefully that will get me somewhere....

thanks for your input (and for the info in your pm)!!! :)

Ashley

Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Unfortunately at this point, I am not willing to start over on this site.  I have already removed this contribution and any others that might be considered questionable.  I don't think there is anythign else content or code wise that would be in violation of their terms.  I just don't have time to go through the whole thing all over again plus my website has kind of formed a reputation in the industry, I"m not about to lose that just because of yahoo.  I get great rankings on google so for now that is enough.  I've been communicating with some people at yahoo so hopefully that will get me somewhere....

thanks for your input (and for the info in your pm)!!!  :)

Ashley

I understand...if the site is still good in everything else, then work with Yahoo to have it re-included. Mention SPECIFICALLY that you're using OSCommerce, and that you installed an SEO mod which did things you didn't completely understand. Say that you worked with others in the OSCommerce community to understand the mod, and that as soon as you realised it was adding unethical coding / content to your site, you removed it and everything it created immediately.

That way, you can petition for reinclusion. I've heard of Google re-indexing sites which were the victim of shady SEO companies...these sites lost their rankings, and some were banned, because of the tricks the SEO companies used on them. After a complete redesign and removal of all the offending content, some of them managed to be re-included in Google, after petitioning.

Also check to make sure Google's still caching your content pages, and how often...this is sometimes an early warning sign that Google might be about to loose interest in your site.

Good luck,

Dave.

I understand...if the site is still good in everything else, then work with Yahoo to have it re-included. Mention SPECIFICALLY that you're using OSCommerce, and that you installed an SEO mod which did things you didn't completely understand. Say that you worked with others in the OSCommerce community to understand the mod, and that as soon as you realised it was adding unethical coding / content to your site, you removed it and everything it created immediately.

That way, you can petition for reinclusion. I've heard of Google re-indexing sites which were the victim of shady SEO companies...these sites lost their rankings, and some were banned, because of the tricks the SEO companies used on them. After a complete redesign and removal of all the offending content, some of them managed to be re-included in Google, after petitioning.

Also check to make sure Google's still caching your content pages, and how often...this is sometimes an early warning sign that Google might be about to loose interest in your site.

Good luck,

Dave.

Thanks for the advice Dave, that is great information!! Googlebot is on my site 3-4 times an hour so I'm not too worried there. I will definitely send a note with the information you gave me to Yahoo!

Have a great day!

Ashley

Archived