• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce for Hosting Provider

mikepaim

Hello.

I'm currently looking for a solution to provide to my hosting clients. I've looked at the demo version of OSCommerce and it looks great. I tried installing it a year ago but had comptability problems. I'm looking now, again, at using it. A few questions...

1. I noticed that 2.2 is the latest version but not fully supported. Where can I go to download the latest working version?

2. I notice that there any many partner sites that seeem to offer their version or bundle of OSCommerce. I noticed this in HotScripts.com. Is there a list of preferred vendors? I know that the product is free but I'd also like to be able to contact a team if I have special requests or customizations needed.

3. As mentioned, I provide hosting service. I want to be able to offer OSCommerce as a service. Are there any versions or packages that are best for this?

4. I want to be able to automate or have a service available for my clients that will upload their data easily. For example, upload their database to the server and import any changes. Can OSCommerce handle this?

I would like to get started on this project ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Paim

[email protected]

USA

If you are going to be offering this to hosting clients as a service then the value to them is going to be in the 'value added' services you can provide to backup the initial installation. So the first thing you need to do is to become a bit of an expert on osCommerce - which will take time.

osCommerce MS2.2 is the stable version. Don't know where you got the idea that it wasn't.

It works on most servers, but there's no doubt that it works better on Apache than on Windows, works better if Register Globals is set to 'On', and won't work at all if you're on a Windows server running php in Safe Mode and with other php features disabled, such as file_upload.

If you resell hosting then you should have available to you automated 1-click installs of osCommerce either via Fantastico or Ensim Power Tools - which would be a start (but only a start).

Vger

If you resell hosting then you should have available to you automated 1-click installs of osCommerce either via Fantastico or Ensim Power Tools - which would be a start (but only a start).

Vger

Amen, only a start.

Dante has a special place for hosts who promote oscommerce as a one-click solution for newbies. :devil: On the other hand, if you're able to give customers a realistic assessment of what is actually required to succeed with oscommerce--along with basic support for peripheral issues such as SSL, database, and file editing/uploading--you may have a valuable service. Best wishes.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

2. I notice that there any many partner sites that seeem to offer their version or bundle of OSCommerce. I noticed this in HotScripts.com. Is there a list of preferred vendors? I know that the product is free but I'd also like to be able to contact a team if I have special requests or customizations needed.

If you offer it to your clients as part of your service then YOU are the preferred vendor. This board and paid programmers are about the limit of support you can get.

3. As mentioned, I provide hosting service. I want to be able to offer OSCommerce as a service. Are there any versions or packages that are best for this?

The version you build will be best suited to your clients needs.

4. I want to be able to automate or have a service available for my clients that will upload their data easily. For example, upload their database to the server and import any changes. Can OSCommerce handle this?

Take a look in the contributions section. EasyPopulate might fill that need. Your clients will still have to prepare the data for import though. In the long run the admin interface is usually sufficient for folks to get started and it's rare that you'll have someone with all their prods worked out (at least rare for me) in advance unless they're migrating from some other cart. In that case you'd probably still have to help them convert the data.

I would like to get started on this project ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dig in! It's fun!

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Archived