• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's in a name?

FalseDawn

It's getting more and more difficult to think of catchy, easily remembered and relevant domain names nowdays.

I wonder just how much "advantage" a good name gives a site. Increasingly I find one has to put dashes and other nonsense in names or they're already taken.

I had one I quite liked, but then I tried it without the dash and it was a nasty *orn site.

I'm thinking that with the vast majority coming from search engine links, that the name of the site itself is becoming increasingly irrelevant, but I'd still like a nice one, not one of 40 characters and full of dashes.

How do people think up names? I need inspiration!

catchy, easily remembered and relevant domain names nowdays

so you want it all ?

I just went through the same excercise for a site, now I'm gonna try to register an Indian domain http://www.xyz.in/abc/

came out as our favourite. Others were registered and for sale, but I'm not to fond of buying of a domain name.

Note, no dashes here, but the tld is used in a smart way

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

If you are not aware of it, give NameBoy a try. Makes it a little easier I think. As for the domain name, it can make a difference. When it comes to optimizing a page, no one thing will make the difference. Each SEO change helps a little. The more of them that you do, the better the results. You need to decide on what your main keyword is for the page and then include that in the title if possible. If oyu need to use a dash in the title, that is fine, and is preferred over long names, but don't use an underline. It looks better will negate the benifit of addint the keyword to the name.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Well, I finally decided on one - can't really justify spending days thinking about it to be honest. Some of the suggestions on the last few pages of name boy were hilarious - things like phleshyanimaldevices.com. Hmmmm :-"

Archived