• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How To Get Google to Index your Entire Site

Simplyeasier

Google are now Beta testing several products - the one of importance in relation to this thread is known as Google Sitemaps

The idea is that you create a sitemap in XML format - more on this in a mo - and then submit the XML to Google.

The XML contains info such as

1) The relative importance of your sites URL's vis a vis one another - hence your home page can be set to rank higher than say your contact us page.

2) The frequency with which you change your pages - this is used as a hint to Google so that if a page chages often it will be spidered more frequently than one that changes infrequently. (For those of you in black hat mode already it is a hint - if you put down all your pages change every hour - you will not necessarily be spidered every hour :D )

3) Last modified - this alerts the spider when you last changed a file and so it will not be spidered again needlessly.

Once you have created your sitemap XML you upload it to your server space AND I URGE you to do this to your root directory - If you read all the stuff Google tell you about location of the site map you will find out that putting the sitemap in the wrong location will prevent the spider from doing what you expect.

Once on your server you submit the XML file to Google and that way the spider will crawl your entire site, no black hatting, no fear of being banned - This however is NOT A PROMISE that your site will be ranked highly - only that it will be indexed. To rank highly you still need the good old fashioned sytems of incoming links, keyword relevancy and uniqueness.

OK - Thats the blurb - but how do you create the XML feed ?

Google have a free tool you can use BUT your server must support Python - the programming language.

There are commercial products that create the XML feed - BUT HOLD ON don't buy anything at any price, because there are FREE web based and windows based software apps that do the same job.

I do not want this thread banned hence I am reluctant to list the tools as it may be considered advertising - but if anyone wants the URL's for the XML building applications please PM me and I will send them to you.

If the mods are so inclined to let me post the list of FREE tools here then please can one of them get back to me letting me know, that in this case it is OK to post tools that will allow osCommerce store owners to get listed in Google quickly and easily.

As I may get many requests for this info - please bear with me I will get to you in good time.

Charles

ps - get more info here

https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/...s/en/about.html

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

FAQ

1) Why is this any different to Chemo's brilliant contribution ?

a) If like me you run a store that lives on a domain with more than the catalog URL's - then Chemo's contribution will not capture your non catalog URL's - this limits the indexation of your site.

If all you run on your domain is the catalog then by all means stick with Chemos' contrib.

b ) No need to change ANY of your osC code - keeping your site as light as possible

c) Updated support for the changes that Google are certain to make after the Beta test period.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Archived