• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping costs originating outside of US

sdf

Hello. I'm looking to add ecommerce to my web based biz. I use a PayPal account for transactions, but until now, no shopping cart.

The tricky part is that I ship FROM Brazil. So, I want weight based shipping calculations using a rate table from the Brazilian post office. To make things more fun those rates will need to be converted to US dollars - and this rate must be easily changed.

I've also been considering entering my site into a CMS system at the same time as implementing a shopping cart. A friend recommended Mambo + phpshop, but my webhost has OSCommerce as an option and since it's also listed as compatible with PayPal on their site I thought I'd ask around here on the forums.

If anyone can shed some light that would be fantastic and much appreciated.

(I should mention, I'm not a programmer, but have access to a PHP guy).

Thanks,

Scott

You can do this in a variety of ways. You can use the Brazilian currency on your website and have PayPal automatically convert it to US Dollars when payments are made - but this will cost you about another 2% on the transaction charge as the conversion rates are rubbish. Or, you can just use US Dollars on your website. People from any country with any national currency can use their credit card to make payments in US Dollars so that's not a problem.

The Table Rate in osCommerce would be what you need to use. You set it according to weight and price e.g. 5:2.5,10:5.0. which means up to 5 kilos they pay $2.5 and up to 10 kilos they pay $5

I think, not 100% sure on this, that the weight measurement depends upon whether you are in an area that uses kilos or pounds as the main measurement of weight - but don't take this as gospel truth.

Vger

You can do this in a variety of ways.  You can use the Brazilian currency on your website and have PayPal automatically convert it to US Dollars when payments are made - but this will cost you about another 2% on the transaction charge as the conversion rates are rubbish.  Or, you can just use US Dollars on your website.  People from any country with any national currency can use their credit card to make payments in US Dollars so that's not a problem.

The Table Rate in osCommerce would be what you need to use.  You set it according to weight and price e.g. 5:2.5,10:5.0.  which means up to 5 kilos they pay $2.5 and up to 10 kilos they pay $5

I think, not 100% sure on this, that the weight measurement depends upon whether you are in an area that uses kilos or pounds as the main measurement of weight - but don't take this as gospel truth.

Vger

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't totally clear about the currency part. Sales and shipping costs will be in US dollars (at least for the part of the site for international sales - there may also be a national site for sales within Brazil - but that's secondary at this point). What I meant about the conversion was that the rates - meaning my costs - are in Brazilian currency for shipping. But that rate must be converted for the site visitor. I don't think it's even an option to have PayPal convert it like you mentioned - they don't deal in Brazilian currency.

Regarding pounds vs. kilos. Shipping rates in Brazil are by kilos.

Any experience with OScommerce and integration with a CMS?

Thanks,

scott

Your costs for shipping may be in the Brazilian currency, but as your customers would pay in US Dollars anyway all you have to do is to convert your costs into US Dollars and enter those values. This will work provided the exchange rate is fairly stable.

No, I don't deal with CMS integration with osCommerce.

Vger

Archived