• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

BrokeGamer.com

leandroc76

Whats in a name? I was expecting a gambling site because of the name, well there you go.

Nice site, compact.

Why the need for My Account etc to appear within the header twice?

Well, I have spent a lot of time customizing this site.

So I am now using OSCommerce. I would like to get some fierce criticism. Thank You.

BrokeGamer, LLC

Please don't take offence, just quick comments and things that need sorting.

Design is great, but weird name and....

Images are huuuuuuuuge. Header is 70-odd-KB, much too big. PLUS install a thumbnail contribution so that your product pics are smaller and not distorted.

The Google Ads SUCK. Completely. Absolutely no reason to stay on your site if you are advertising others selling the same stuff. Also suggests you don't make enough money from sales. Lose them.

No shipping costs unless you go through the checkout process?

Fix the images, number 1 priority. I'm on 2MBits and it was still slow to load.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Layout different in Firefox to IE.

Good looking site, I really like the colors and I think the header works although a little big. I have just a couple of things:

1. I imagine that you will be selling other than just hardware. But, with just the hardware category it makes it look as though you don't have much to offer.

2. I agree, lose the Google adds, I've never see add words on other hardware sites that I purchase from.

3. Thumbnail contrib

4. Your login in screen is still using the stock create account button.

5. Your product descriptions dont match the style and look of the rest of the site. They just look copy and pasted with an odd font.

The name of your store I get after some time and seeing your slogan. Overall clean and good looking. :D

I noticed a couple of spelling errors on your FAQ page.

Your not only a customer, your a gamer and so are we!
You should use You're (You are) not Your (possessive pronoun).

Thank you all for you're input. (just kidding, your input).

Don't hesitate to continue.

No google ads, makes sense.

I guess the images never really bother us because we're on DSL or cable modem. Good to know I will install the Thumbnail.

No offence whatsoever.

Thank you again.

The site is ok, but the market you are in is dominated by a handful of big boys with huge inventory and miniscule profit margins - you can't hope to compete against them.

Plus, things like this do nothing to sway me away from an established store:

" Please note, credit card processing can take up to 3 business days"

Huh? Why?

"Total time is based on the amount of time it takes to get payment authorization, order processing, and the transit time from the carrier. This can range from 24 hours to 10 days for in-stock items. "

Up to 10 days is unacceptable.

If I order PC parts and have to wait more than 48 hours to receive them, I am annoyed...

Good luck with it.

The site is ok, but the market you are in is dominated by a handful of big boys with huge inventory and miniscule profit margins - you can't hope to compete against them.

This we understand, and we don't want to compete against the Big Boys, we feel that New England lacks an identity when it comes to Custom Personal Computing. You and everyone on THIS site that sees this thread, are the only ones that know about our site. Our market is a small,but populous part of New England. And no, New York is not part of our market (in case you were think that :D )

Huh? Why?

Directly after that statement:

(Depending on the accuracy of the information given to us by you, the customer.)

This is normal with ANY card processor.

"Total time is based on the amount of time it takes to get payment authorization, order processing, and the transit time from the carrier. This can range from 24 hours to 10 days for in-stock items. "

This just tells you we are not responsible for the Carriers delay(if any), without demeaning our carrier.

Thank you for your input and concerns. I appreciate the time you have taken.

First off, very nice site. I really like the design and layout of it. I guess the only big complaint that I have is I feel that clicking on the banner should take you back to the home page. Also, your SSL certs pops up a warning on my site that it is not issued to the correct domain. This will scare more people off than not having a SSL cert at all. You will definitly need to fix that. Why do you need to know my data of birth???

Anyway with all that being said, I really like the way you have integrated phpBB into the site. We are adding forums into our osCommerce offering, and are planning on using phpBB. We were just going to link to an external phpBB site, but I would much rather integrate it in the actual shop like you did.

Did you custom code this or was it a contrib? Would you let me know how this was done, as I would really like to do the same thing.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

First off, very nice site.  I really like the design and layout of it.  I guess the only big complaint that I have is I feel that clicking on the banner should take you back to the home page.  Also, your SSL certs pops up a warning on my site that it is not issued to the correct domain.  This will scare more people off than not having a SSL cert at all.  You will definitly need to fix that.  Why do you need to know my data of birth???

Anyway with all that being said, I really like the way you have integrated phpBB into the site.  We are adding forums into our osCommerce offering, and are planning on using phpBB.  We were just going to link to an external phpBB site, but I would much rather integrate it in the actual shop like you did.

Did you custom code this or was it a contrib?  Would you let me know how this was done, as I would really like to do the same thing.

Thank you for noticing the SSL error, And the date of birththing IS pretty trivial. That's taken care of.

As far as the PhpBB intrgration, thats a contribution found in the Contributions section of OsCommerce. It took me about 2 hours to install. Basically because I had to backup everything including the database and the intructions are for people with extreme patience. Something I lack! Overall It's pretty easy. You do however need to install phpbb2bridge from www.osmodules.com to enable customers to edit their phpBB username.

That ones a bit easier. The theme was downloaded from phpbbthemes.com, but there are plenty of other sites you can get PhPbb Forum Themes. Just google it.

good luck, and thanks again.

Huh? Why?

Directly after that statement:

(Depending on the accuracy of the information given to us by you, the customer.)

This is normal with ANY card processor.

Sorry, that's bull**** - if I walk into a retail store and buy something with my credit card, do they tell me to come back 3 days later to collect my stuff? I don't think so.

If you can't authorise and capture a credit card trasaction in real time, you are doing something wrong.

Sorry, that's bull**** - if I walk into a retail store and buy something with my credit card, do they tell me to come back 3 days later to collect my stuff? I don't think so.

If you can't authorise and capture a credit card trasaction in real time, you are doing something wrong.

You are exactly right. If your information is (cc, address, expire date etc ) is all correct, the transaction is realtime. I should re worded it. But you certainly bring up a good point. Thank you, again!

Great site!

You are missing the nosel.jpg image in the custom computer creator mod ;-) ... Site images are a bit large (kb wise). It took me a second or two to load the site.

Jud

Great site!

You are missing the nosel.jpg image in the custom computer creator mod ;-) ... Site images are a bit large (kb wise). It took me a second or two to load the site.

Jud

I don't understand what you mean by "missing the nosel.jpg", What is that?

the name if the image is "nosel.jpg" ... when you haven't selected anything in the custom computor creator, the default image is "nosel.jpg" ....

Jud

Archived