• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Product Restraints ?

mwdesigns

Why when adding a new product either manually or via a contribution like Easy Populate does OSC not allow you to use URL based product Images ?

I have a number of stores and recently started re-selling for a supplier abroad, who has over 2500 items. Why or how can I point my item image to their website ?

Instead of uploading the images to my server - i want to input product image: "http://www.someserver/images/somepicture.jpg"

Someone please help me

The easiest way to do this would be to define your product image as pixel_trans.gif, then add the remotely hosted image into the product description. This may look alittle wierd, but after a bit of playing you should be able to get it to work...

The reason you cant add the remotely hosted image in your database is that your product_info.php (and category pages) refer to DIR.WS.IMAGES, which has been defined in you configure.php file as "yourdomain.com/images" - as an example. Therefore, the only part saved in the database is the bit AFTER images/ - if you try to save a url of "remoteurl.net/image2.jpg" it will go into your database fine, but be called from your product page as "yourdomain.com/images/remoteurl.net/image2.jpg" and therefore come up with an image not found marker.

Hope that helps.

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

The easiest way to do this would be to define your product image as pixel_trans.gif, then add the remotely hosted image into the product description. This may look alittle wierd, but after a bit of playing you should be able to get it to work...

The reason you cant add the remotely hosted image in your database is that your product_info.php (and category pages) refer to DIR.WS.IMAGES, which has been defined in you configure.php file as "yourdomain.com/images" - as an example. Therefore, the only part saved in the database is the bit AFTER images/ - if you try to save a url of "remoteurl.net/image2.jpg" it will go into your database fine, but be called from your product page as "yourdomain.com/images/remoteurl.net/image2.jpg" and therefore come up with an image not found marker.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply - what will happen to the featured or new products images then ? Will it show the trans_gif or how will it extract the url pic ?

ok, hadn't thought of that one. Another way would be to create a new database field with the remotely hosted image and refer to this in product_info.php and catgory pages - you can then put reference to this field into the featured/new/bestsellers boxes.....

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

From the help of the information here I am slowly finding out the solution to this.

What I have done so far is in /includes/configure.php I have added:

define('DIR_EXT_HTTP', 'http://');

Then in Product_info.php I did a find and replace on

DIR_WS_IMAGES

to

DIR_EXT_HTTP

as long as in your database the image is set to www.IMAGEDOMAIN.com/IMAGE.gif you will see the external image once I have sorted this out i will try an upload via easypopulate to see if it works. just need to work out what code to edit so the catergories and the new products page displays the new image will keep you posted

Damn can't edit post

it only works if all your images are external also you will need to find and replace on

/includes/modules/new_products.php <--- For the images to display on the new products section.

/includes/modules/product_listing.php <--- For the images in the catergories. It's the second one in that file that you change for the product pics I think and don't quote me on this is the first one is for the manufacturers image.

/includes/boxes/whats_new.php

/includes/boxes/specials.php

and a few others reviews.php e.t.c if you use them boxes on your site.

This will only work if you manually edit the database with the pic urls it wont work in the admin new products page because that requires you to upload a image but think that may be able to be modified. but for now will try easy populate and report back hopefully within the hour to see if it works

Ok have uploaded with easypopulate and everything came across one bug which i need to sort out and thats when you click to enlage image but will post an update once i have worked it out. Check out: http://www.onlinewebdeals.com/ukshop/ and right click on the images to see the image path if you need help catch me on msn: [email protected] might do a write up on it if i get time

I have now got my site working properly and with many thanks to drawesome007 for all the help.

I suggest if you're using this mod, to include the contribution "Disable right Click + mouse select V1.1, Released By: Ferry B." available by Clicking Disable Right Click

This disables images from being copied and also stops people viewing the image source and finding your supplier

Archived