• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need help w/ shipping logic

mindcube

I am setting up a new onlien store for a client, and love the osCommerce package. I'm at the point where I need to define some custom shipping logic. Should I attempt to write a shipping module from scratch or is there one that is like/similar to what I'm trying to do/. This is how the logic needs to work:

Shipping is per item, based on how much that item costs and where it is being shipped to.

:

Items > $10

US: $.50 per item

Canada: $.75 per item

International: $1.00 per item

Items < $10

US: $1.50 per item

Canada: $2.50 per item

International: $4.00 per item

Do I use the 'Zones' feature to define the different shipping areas? Additionally, where do I specify tax when the order is made in the state of CA? The logic was pretty simple with the older store software that we used, here is the perl code I used to define the logic there:

sub define_shipping_logic

{

local ($shipping_price) = @_;
local($upgradeShipLevel, $shipMethod) = split (/\|/,$form_data{upgradeShipping});

open (CART, "$sc_cart_path") || &file_open_error("$sc_cart_path", "display_cart_contents", __FILE__, __LINE__);
while (<CART>)
{
@cart_fields = split (/\|/, $_);
# qty = $cart_fields[0];
# price = $cart_fields[8];

@upgradeShipPrice = (1, 2, 3, 4);

if ($upgradeShipPrice[$upgradeShipLevel] == 1) {
  if ($cart_fields[8] < 10.00) {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*.5;
     } else {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*1.50;
  }
} elsif ($upgradeShipPrice[$upgradeShipLevel] == 2) {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*.5;
     } else {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*1.50;
  }
} elsif ($upgradeShipPrice[$upgradeShipLevel] == 3) {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*.75;
     } else {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*2.50;
  }
} else {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*1.00;
     } else {
     $shipping_price += $cart_fields[0]*4.00;
  }
}

}
close(CART);
return $shipping_price;

}
1;

Of course, with the great features that osCommerce has the older store in comparison is laughable, but still, where can I define this logic to make it all work?

Thanks SOO much.

Take a look in Contributions - I'm sure you will find something  :D

Matti

Yup, have been at it for the last four hours or so.. Actually, if I could modify the "per item" module to support different pricing schemes for 3 different zones (international, canada, and US) AND get it to modify the pricing scheme yet again based on the price of the individual product (less or more than $10 in this case), it would be a good start. :) Though right now I'm having trouble finding where the actual shipping logic is computated within the myriad of php files in oscommerce.. And if I can't figure it out without the help from any previous modules I will attempt to code my own, but like I said it's hard to start doing anything because I am not sure how everything works.. Thanks for the advice though. ;)

-Scott

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I started coding my own custom shipping module for this particular set of criteria..  I'll post it up when I'm finished.  This software rocks :)

After searching the contrib. for hours, I was glad to find your post. I'm looking for exactly that same option! Being a total nitwit with php, I appreciate it that you will post your solution :thumbsup:

Denice

Edited by jewelrytrends