• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Automating 24000 database entries

kernelpanik

Hi,

here is my situation:

I am creating an osCommerce store which takes its database contents from another store (reseller). The database contents are available to me as a tab separated file.

There are approximately 24000 (24 thousand :-)) products in the db. How well can osCommerce/MySql handle that kind of load?

If it can handle it fine then obviously I can't use EasyPopulate due to the 300 product upload limit (re timeout problem of 30secs), so I'm gonna automate the filling of the DB myself using Java maybe.

Another point is that every now and again the DB will be emptied of all its products and refilled with new ones. How will this affect osCommerce, in relation to customer orders, e.g. if someone ordered a Bicycle 2 years ago and the product is no longer in the DB, will the system blow up if the customer looks at their old orders?

Any info is appreciated - like, is this even feasible? :-)

Another point is that every now and again the DB will be emptied of all its products and refilled with new ones. How will this affect osCommerce, in relation to customer orders, e.g. if someone ordered a Bicycle 2 years ago and the product is no longer in the DB, will the system blow up if the customer looks at their old orders?

As far as I rmember, when an order is saved to the database, all the product details, price etc are saved to a new database table that's completely separate from the products information, so, no, it shouldn't affect your site.

As for the other, if you can connect directly to the database (assuming your provider will allow you) have a look at:

http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/featurematrix.html

It's a great little SQL tool that lets you import CSV files directly to the database table.

As far as I rmember, when an order is saved to the database, all the product details, price etc are saved to a new database table that's completely separate from the products information, so, no, it shouldn't affect your site.

As for the other, if you can connect directly to the database (assuming your provider will allow you) have a look at:

http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/featurematrix.html

It's a great little SQL tool that lets you import CSV files directly to the database table.

Thanks for the info. The tool looks good but I think you can only import a file that has been prepared for the DB. Unfortunately, the file I am using was exported from a DB with a different schema and I have to match it up.

I've gone with the "Java/JDBC/Parse it myself approach", although, now my Eclipse has crashed and won't start up :angry: ...typical...thanks for the help though :)

To my understanding, you are looking for a solution of data base migration. May be outsourcing to an external parties, such as freeland worker charges hourly rate (worthy depends how good the workerś skill set), or software house (more expensive).

24K items is a big job for you. Why dont need some contracted professional togive you a hand. It is a big business in you future too!

Best regards,

Yan.

Thanks for the info. The tool looks good but I think you can only import a file that has been prepared for the DB. Unfortunately, the file I am using was exported from a DB with a different schema and I have to match it up.

I've gone with the "Java/JDBC/Parse it myself approach", although, now my Eclipse has crashed and won't start up  :angry:  ...typical...thanks for the help though  :)

YaNotCook !!

To my understanding, you are looking for a solution of data base migration. May be outsourcing to an external parties, such as freeland worker charges hourly rate (worthy depends how good the workerś skill set), or software house (more expensive).

24K items is a big job for you. Why dont need some contracted professional togive you a hand. It is a big business in you future too!

Best regards,

Yan.

Hahahaha...its funny because I AM the hired help :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hahahaha...its funny because I AM the hired help  :D

Well, just to answer my own question anyway. It works fine. 24000 is not a problem...I've now come across stores with over 500,000 products. I imported the tables and have a Java app that creates the SQL that I need.

Archived