• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

To eBay or Not to eBay when you have an osC shop ?

bruyndoncx

I'm just wondering how many of the oscommerce shop owners actually also use eBay as a way to get traffic (and buyers) to their site, and in general what the tactics are.

eg

- do you use long running auctions ?

- items with really low prices ?

- how much or little of the additional paying options to promote your stuff ?

- galary, placement on home page, top lists ... etc

Any tips and tricks to share ?

or perhaps you feel eBay is not worth the hassle ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I'm just wondering how many of the oscommerce shop owners actually also use eBay as a way to get traffic (and buyers) to their site, and in general what the tactics are.

eg

- do you use long running auctions ?

- items with really low prices ?

- how much or little of the additional paying options to promote your stuff ?

- galary, placement on home page, top lists ... etc

Any tips and tricks to share ?

or perhaps you feel eBay is not worth the hassle ?

I have done eBay for years next to a webshop (not osC at that time) and have always sticked to 7 days auctions. Until about 2004 eBay always has been my main source of income with good results but after then it was kind of 'over' for several reasons (shipping costs getting insane, low dollar, higher costs eBay/Paypal, people less willing to spend on antiques/collectibles etc.).

For me it was always obvious to start as low as possible and just hope for a few people really interested which mostly worked and on average I could sell 70-80% of what I put on. Due to the high costs for extra features on eBay I never used the expensive features (didn't need to) except for the gallery picture until that became much to expensive too compared to the gain ($0.20 might seem nothing but with many auctions it adds up and when the margin gets lower with all other expenses taken into account it just adds up).

To promote my webshop I put a non-clickable link in all of my auctions (a clickable link would quickly be punished but this way, although maybe strictly not allowed also, it works up to now). A real link to the webshop people will find on the eBay About Me page but to be honest, not many auction buyers use it anyway. What always amazed me is the fact that people who buy from you on eBay frequently will not buy easily through the webshop (eBay= mainly selling to the US, Japan, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Hong Kong and a little to other European countries, the Dutch/Belgium based webshop= mainly selling to Holland, a bit Germany, UK and France. A strange world it is indeed :D ).

In 2000 Paypal wasn't yet available for Dutch sellers so I had to stick to money orders and cash which wasn't a problem except for the long waiting times and extra riscs. When Paypal became more widely available and accepted, around 2002, I used them and most auction buyers from abroad took that way since then.

For local buyers who also have Paypal I always ask not to use Paypal but bankwire the payment for obvious reasons (this might be a tip). Now bankwiring is with no extra costs in between the euro countries this is even more an option. But I guess this will also depend on the type of merchandise you sell and the willingness of your customers to have to wait a few days longer before you ship.

Personally I try to avoid selling the same stuff on eBay (and other auction sites) as I have in my webshop.

regards,

Howard

I have always ran ebay auctions side by side with a webshop. The way I "get around" their rules is to leave just enough information in the auction, but then an "information" link to full seller policies and other item information. This is totally legal on ebay (for now, that is) and then, of course on my information page, it's just a store information page with all the osc links and info boxes down both sides. I have to say, ebay is probably my #1 source of traffic.

I only use 5 day auctions, as I find people have short memories...lol.

I never use any of the upgrades on ebay unless it's a really expensive item, like a collectible. I certainly never use their multipe pictures, as I just put the pictures right into the html. I never use templates from ebay or any "service" like auction works or anything like that either, as all those things really take a bite out of profits. I will use a gallery pic from time to time, but less lately since they raised the price of everything in January or February.

I never run my auctions at a low starting price, simply because I'm terrified of losing money, lol.

I have to say, though, more and more, ebay's kinda a hassle, and I 86ed my PayPal account after they froze it 5 days before christmas because a newb signed up for paypal, then bought a $1500 item from me. Burned me good. :(

But I do like the traffic from ebay.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I run ebay auctions along my webshop and it appears that Ebay attracts a helluva lot of traffic but not necessarily to my shop

I do find it a pain trying to track it all though

i.e. i have the manual step by step order contrib in so that if an ebay order comes in i can manually create a matching customer account and attach a new order to it, but i want to be able to track ebay fees in my Osc Shop as well, anyone got a contrib or some code for that ???

I basically want some extra fields in the Edit Orders section whereby you can enter Insertion Fee, Gallery Fee (I use these to good effect) , Listingdesigner fee and final fee so that i can then adapt one of the stats reports contribs to run reports about how much Ebay actually costs me per month

Anyone got any ideas how to do that, my Php/MySQL is adequate but fairly new to OSc so trying to get my head around all the tep calls etc is time consuming at present !!

You can probably make it work by selling the cheapest lightest weight version of the product in the auction at hugely inflated shipping charges and with a really restrictive returns policy whilst offering the real thing on your own site. Getting people to visit your site is a problem but people to seem to get away with much more than you would expect from reading their t&c..

Another couple of tips I just remembered are these:

Sell secondhand or damaged goods but try to disguise their condition in lots of obsucre terms and photos taken from odd angles.

If the customer complains then stall and lie through your teeth until the period allowed for feedback expires. Once that period is over just ignore them.

(No, I personally wouldn't do these things, but I'm sure that you could make more money if you did.)

I got sick 4 years ago. Quit working 3? years ago. Started selling on eBay and never went back to work since. But since the DOT COM era is now over, sales have plummeted. But 80% of my income is still from eBay 5 day auctions.

I sell 2 to 4 dollars cheaper and add an eBay shipping handling fee to all my auctions so I make it up when payment is received.

*edit* - advertising

L8r,

PopTheTop

Published osC Contributions:

- eCheck Payment Module v3.1

- Reviews in Product Display v2.0

- Fancier Invoice & Packingslip v6.1

- Admin Notes / Customer Notes v2.2

- Customer Zip & State Validation v2.2

- Search Box with Dropdown Category Menu v1.0

Pop your camper's top today!

It's a popup thing...