• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contribution Suggestion

iguanairs

Hello,

When people are correcting contributions for errors or simply upgrading them, would it be possible for those people to place the entire thing up or at least leave a note on what is included in the zip? I have been going through a number of the contributions, and some have over 10 different listings. None of them say if they are the complete contrib or not. The only one I know is the complete contrib is the initial post.

So I downloaded a few, and low and behold, some had one file, some had 3 files, and some were the complete contrib with the repairs/upgrade.

As much as I love the contribs section, it can drive a man insane finding a functioning copy. I have started to just download the initial contrib and then download all the others to get the updates or corrections. This really puts a damper on things however.

This is just a suggestion. A simple note, like some people have done, stating if it is JUST the repaired file or if it is the complete contrib would help a great deal of us.

I know a lot of the contribs do say what is in the zip, but there are just as many that don't.

To quote Spock communing with the Horta... "Paaaaaain!"

I second the notion of nothing but full installs. If you can't take the time to do the update and zip the whole thing noting your changes in the readme just post your fix in that contrib's support forum.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Excellent idea! I have spent many annoying hours going through each download trying to pick apart the code etc to find the "working version". Maybe this is something which can be incorporated into the contrib guidleines/rules which I believe are shortly to be introduced. There is also a new team of contribution moderators, though I dont pity them the job of policing this particular idea......

Like many things, it may be that the idea is great, and makes sense, but the resources of a community in which everyone is a volunteer of their time and effort does not stretch to forcing the volunteers to march to a pre-defined tune.....

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Ahh, I don't know. You see so many

"I changed two lines in xxx.php, xxxx.php and xxxxx.php. Here are the lines that need to be changed but I couldn't be bothered to comment my changes so just overwrite your (possibly heavily edited) files and good luck to you"

that it's just lazy. Or is that lazy on my part? No, the contributor should take that responsibilty on.

CCGV comes to mind (which, once you get it going is excellent). Just got that installed. In the instructions it asks you to add things to general.php. Of course, they neglect to tell you that those things have actually been moved to another file making for some show stopping errors. And there are a couple that are just flat out missing files.

You can resolve these errors if you're willing to dig in the forums and do some work but really, why should you have to? Wouldn't it have been easier to just update the install text?

Maybe I should do that so someone can knock me :lol:

Anyways, for what it's worth...

Iggy

You just hit the nail on the head. The contribs have full packages which are ideal for a brand new store, but the second you have installed 1 contrib, you then have to walk carefully when you come to the next one. Maybe the solution is to make everybody actually get their hands dirty and get into the code, with the contrib download only including NEW files. An install.txt which commenst every change in detail would therefore have to be included with each version, and any changes would have to submit an updated install.txt - no mor ework to upload the amended version than it is to upload a 2 line version with change x to y

I know this will be unpopular with many people who love the point and click or drag n drop type installs, but read these forums and at least a third of the problems (including many I have had myself) are caused by people installing contribs incorrectly, many of whom have written over an old file and stopped an older contribution from working.

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Generally I'm diffing two files and/or combining lines so a full package works to my advantage as opposed to this line/that line instructions. Plus, if the contrib is blown for some reason I can't readily discover then it's download 5.1.2.6-b and try again until you find the one that does work. Then you can diff the changes in 5.1.2.6-c and see where things went downhill. Just seems easier to me than trying to find THE definitive working package then apply changes and more changes and... you get the picture.

5.1.2.6-c should just work if you can merge your code. Smaller tweaks not deemed worthy of a complete package upload should be here in the forums.

Maybe if the team would allow user comments to contrib uploads there might be some warning involved from folks who have tried and failed. Might be good. Maybe not.

Iggy

Archived