• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

why is msn so easy but not the rest ?

rommany

Hello guys

Why is msn so easy but not the rest ? I have noticed that msn is a lot easier to get good listing than any other search engine, my site has only been up and running a few months, yet i have no#6 out of 25m and no#1 of out of 10m, but im not in the first 100 or 10000 for any other search engine.

So why is msn so different to everyone else ? i can understand why google is a little different but not yahoo,ask jeeves,lycos and so on.

Also why do people choose to use google and yahoo more, when msn is just as big if not bigger.

Many thanks

Hello guys

....why do people choose to use google and yahoo more....

A) Herd mentality

B ) The big engines really do give better "search value"

Take your pick.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

A small point which clearly shows why google gives a better impression to users...

MSN and Yahoo places advertaizments to prominently over and under listing, which makes them look to commercial while google usually just have the ads on the side which gives the feeling of a "true/natural" search engine.

This small point also is a factor in how effective your ranking is.

Recent studies shows that for a similar ranked term/web site and for the same amount of users/searches on MSN, Yahoo and Google, Google gives a much higher visitor rate than the other 2.

Why..because most searchers just click on one of the 3 top results....and in Yahoo and MSN that is paid placments.

A small point which clearly shows why google gives a better impression to users...

MSN and Yahoo places advertaizments to prominently over and under listing, which makes them look to commercial while google usually just have the ads on the side which gives the feeling of a "true/natural" search engine.

This small point also is a factor in how effective your ranking is.

Recent studies shows that for a similar ranked term/web site and for the same amount of users/searches on MSN, Yahoo and Google, Google gives a much higher visitor rate than the other 2.

Why..because most searchers just click on one of the 3 top results....and in Yahoo and MSN that is paid placments.

Hi jenny

Google also has two adverts on top as well as the ones on the side, well on my browser anyway.

No one yet has said why it is so much easier to get high with msn ? more so than the rest, i get spidered 30-40 times a day by msn and only a few times a day with the others. could this have something to do with being listed in the msn directory ?

Many thanks

MSN`s search engine (not the beta) is months old

Google/Yahoo et all are years.

My guess is this has something to do with it.

Give it a year and im sure more will be using MSN... I hope cos we are at place 1 AND 2 for one highly relevant to our store search term on there and are slowly climbing the google rankings.

Its true that google brings in more traffic to our site than all other search engines put together... I wonder what kind of free traffic we would get with a 1 and 2 placement on Google. :rolleyes:

Hi James

What do u mean by months old and year old ? and what is a beta : )

i can see one day that msn will start to give google a run for their money, but when and if that happens my no#1 will get pushed out too no#1000. thats life !

thanks

Sorry i see what you mean by months old, so msn has only just started, if that is so then their have a lot of sites listed already. what is the chance of staying where you are when msn gets bigger anyway ?

Hi jenny

Google also has two adverts on top as well as the ones on the side, well on my browser anyway.

No one yet has said why it is so much easier to get high with msn ? more so than the rest, i get spidered 30-40 times a day by msn and only a few times a day with the others. could this have something to do with being listed in the msn directory ?

Many thanks

Top ads - MSN and Yahoo has in on almost every keyword, Google only on some...and Googles are more easily recognized as ads due to the color highlights.

Since MSN , Yahoo and Google uses different criteria on how a page is listed, its natural to rank different on the 3 of them.

As the MSN Beat is quite new, their bots seems to run around the web alot lately, even so much that some webmasters are complaining about the requring visits.

One of the differnces which is relevant regarding the amount of time it takes to get a good ranking in Yahoo and MSN versus Google is that Google places a higher relevance to the age of your inbound links which does make the rank climbing much slower than in the other two.....

The fact that your site is only a few months old is probably what's keeping you back in Google.

Google likes to drop new sites into the Google Sandbox for anywhere from 6 months to a year. You might rank for a targeted keyword on your Index page, but nothing else.

Be patient, and be happy that you're doing well in MSN, because that typically indicates good rankings to come from Google, once you're out of the sandbox.

Archived