• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce installation problem?

zhulien

Hi,

I am trying to install OS Commerce on Debian Sarge using Apache 2 and PHP4 (I believe) and also with mysql (don't know which version). So far all these 3 things appear to be working ok, but oddly when I go through the internet installation portion of osCommerce installation procedure, I get the following screen

http://zhulien.kicks-ass.net/pics/osc/osc1.jpg

instead of the one pictured here:

http://www.oscommerce.info/docs/english/e_..._procedure.html

Notice the lack of database type?

I don't know if it is related, but if I proceed to the next page, it just sits there like this:

http://zhulien.kicks-ass.net/pics/osc/osc2.jpg

I have searched long and hard on this forum and elsewhere for an explanation as to what might be wrong, if anyone has any ideas, thanks.

Julian

Nope. 1 is right. The docs are out of date I think.

And can you confirm you're using php4?

Try copying this into a file and see what it says

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Nope. 1 is right. The docs are out of date I think.

And can you confirm you're using php4?

Try copying this into a file and see what it says

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Iggy

thanks, couldn't do what you suggested to check for php4, but I installed it with apg-get so I suspect it is definately there now, anyhow the second screen still just sits as in my picture, are there any logfiles or such generated by this web installation process?

putting :

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

into a text file?  what will that do?  ie: if my file is called test with the above content and I treat it like a command and type 'test' it does nothing.

regards, Julian

ok, I thought for a sec, perhaps I should treat the file as a webpage and view it via a browser, yes, it displays lots of info and confirms I have php4.

Any idea why the 3rd installer page just stops half way?

The third page looks like that when you've done something wrong on the second page, or if you have not set up a blank database before you start the install.

1. Set up a blank database

2. Database Server is usually 'localhost' without the apostrophies

3. Your User Name and Password are the ones you have for MySQL access.

4. Database Name is the name of the blank database you set up.

5. Set Session Storage to Database

Make sure all folders are set to 777 (full permissions) along with the two configure.php files (reset after install is complete), all other files should be 644.

Vger

The third page looks like that when you've done something wrong on the second page, or if you have not set up a blank database before you start the install.

1.  Set up a blank database

2.  Database Server is usually 'localhost' without the apostrophies

3.  Your User Name and Password are the ones you have for MySQL access.

4.  Database Name is the name of the blank database you set up.

5.  Set Session Storage to Database

Make sure all folders are set to 777 (full permissions) along with the two configure.php files (reset after install is complete), all other files should be 644.

Vger

thanks, will give it a go now, I don't actually have a blank database, I did try one previously (before reinstalling php4) but I had deleted it thinking the installer was probably going to create one.

What is the benefit of 644 permissions over 775?

I have tried again with a 'truely' blank database and same result. I have tried with both localhost and my ip address and both same result. Same with keeping connection open and not.

Your folders must have permission set to 755 (not 775), and if that does not work on your server then use 777. Configure.php files must be 777 for the install to work, other files only need to be 644.

You can always do the install manually.

1. Import the contents of install/oscommerce.sql into your blank database

2. Set up the configuration data in your two configure.php files manually.

Vger

Your folders must have permission set to 755 (not 775), and if that does not work on your server then use 777.  Configure.php files must be 777 for the install to work, other files only need to be 644.

You can always do the install manually.

1.  Import the contents of install/oscommerce.sql into your blank database

2.  Set up the configuration data in your two configure.php files manually.

Vger

thanks, may give that a try. pitty there doesn't appear to be any logfiles generated by this process (or error messages for that matter).

thanks, may give that a try.  pitty there doesn't appear to be any logfiles generated by this process (or error messages for that matter).

have manually created all the tables (by executing the script), and also configured.

now get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in /home/wwwroot/catalog/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

which I believe is related to the following line:

$$link = mysql_connect($server, $username, $password);

actually I am using Debian Sarge, and the exact problem appears to be here with this distribution:  http://www.idealog.us/2005/01/howto_fix_fatal.html

hopefully I can fix it...

woohoo woohoohoo woohoo woohoohoo woohoo woohoohoo woohoo woohoohoo

I got it going! it seems a problem with Debian Sarge and the fixes are specified on that page... thanks all for your help.

Archived