• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I want to run my site locally

Swindon_Boy

you can install a server on your windows machine - one i have used and is easy to use is xaamp - it is a an application that turns your local windows machine into a server capable of running php and mysql scripts - also there are built in tools for managing your database (PHPMyAdmin) plus a few other bits...

use that to develop your store locally if that is what you want to do - and use an ftp program like dreamwever (very expensive though) to upload the files - you will need to make sure that your host supports osc - make sure the server is running and then go to http://localhost to preview the site

pm me if you want some help

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

What can't or won't? The oscommerce? What errors are you getting? What are you doing when you get the errors?

Which are you using xampp or easyphp?

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Ok, I have copied my site locally and tried to view it with xaamp and easyphp.

With easyphp I get the following error.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\oscommerce\includes\functions\database.php on line 44

-

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

Not convinced I have gotten xaamp installed right so will try again. Sorry, not used to all the php stuff.

:blush:

Ok, I have copied my site locally and tried to view it with xaamp and easyphp.

With easyphp I get the following error.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\oscommerce\includes\functions\database.php on line 44

-

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

Not convinced I have gotten xaamp installed right so will try again. Sorry, not used to all the php stuff.

did you import/create the databse for the store?

Insert clever remark here

Well, you need to uninstall both XAMPP and Easy PHP - because installing one on top of another has probably messed the whole thing up.

Reinstall XAMPP. Load the osCommerce 'catalog' folder and all of its contents into the htdocs folder. Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin and you'll see a box to create a database, just type in the name you want to use for it and click 'Go'.

Now go to http://localhost/catalog/install and begin the install procedure. Your Database Server will be localhost, your User Name (by default) will be root, and there won't be a default password set up, so leave this part blank.

Once you've installed osCommerce then edit admin/includes/classes/upload.php and on line 31 where you see:

$this = null;

change it to:

unset ($this);

Go to catalog/includes/configure.php, right-click, select Properties, and tick the Read Only box.

Vger

Hi,

great, all works fine on a new install of osCommerce. I am not able to run my existing site though, what do I need to do to get this running?

Cheers for all your help so far.

Matt

:thumbsup:

To run your existing site you will have to download it in its entirety from the web(assuming that is where it is), put it where you just installed the new osc, change both configuration files to reflect the new address and database information (catalog and admin side), get the sql information from your mysql on the web, then remove the information in your local database and replace it with the info from the web.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry for the delay in replying.

Not sure I understand what to do with this.

I have the site downloaded, it's the sql I am stuck with.

What do I need to do to get the site to work on my pc locally?

Cheers, and thanks in advance

Go to your web hosting control panel, and from there to phpMyAdmin. Once in phpMyAdmin click the Export tab, and download a copy of your online database.

On your computer, go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin, select the database for your local install, select all of the tick boxes for all of the tables in that database and select to 'drop' them. After you've done that and have no tables in that database, select the MySQL tab, locate the copy you downloaded of your online database, and click the Go button. Your local database will now be populated with the information from your online database.

Vger

Hi, thanks for that, I have doen that but now I believe I need to change something as it still says the following error....

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'fred_osc1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\xampp\htdocs\black-thong\includes\functions\database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

Your help is really appreciated

:thumbsup:

When you set XAMPP up the default User is 'root' and there is no default password set, so unless you've changed the User Name and added a Password then the setting for User is 'root' and there is no password. You will need to edit both configure.php files.

Vger

I think we are almost there, it is having problems with the new products module and when I click links, it goes to the actual site rather than the local one.

Anything else I can try?

:D

• 2 weeks later...
easyphp from http://www.easyphp.org/

installed apache,php,mysql just as you need.  Just install your store on your computer then as you would on a regular webserver.

The status of Mysql is always red? When i click on "start" it turns green and then turns red again. error message shown:

Unexpected end of Mysql

Any ideas?

thanks a lot

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

• 7 months later...
Go to your web hosting control panel, and from there to phpMyAdmin. Once in phpMyAdmin click the Export tab, and download a copy of your online database.

On your computer, go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin, select the database for your local install, select all of the tick boxes for all of the tables in that database and select to 'drop' them. After you've done that and have no tables in that database, select the MySQL tab, locate the copy you downloaded of your online database, and click the Go button. Your local database will now be populated with the information from your online database.

Vger

I did that and when trying to upload the database I'm getting the following error:

Error

You probably tried to upload too large file.

Any ideas?

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

Archived