• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Webpayments Pro

Mediajuggle

If you didn't kow about this, I'm posting it because you may find it of interest,,,

I know there are plenty of us who would utilize this if someone can create a module for it,,,

from Cnet

A new tool from PayPal is designed to give merchants the option of letting customers complete credit card transactions on the merchants' own sites--that is, without being redirected to PayPal's site.

The software, Website Payments Pro, allows an individual merchant to control the checkout procedure as PayPal processes the transaction in the background. While the new offering will bring greater customization capability to merchants, it will also be a source of higher fees for PayPal.

PayPal is charging $20 monthly for Website Payments Pro, plus fees of 2.2 percent to 2.9 percent per transaction, along with a flat fee of 30 cents per transaction.

Merchants using PayPal's traditional service pay no monthly fee, and their per-transaction costs are between 1.9 percent and 2.9 percent. They too pay the flat fee of 30 cents per transaction.

Merchants using PayPal's new tool, however, will get a break when receiving orders and credit card payments via phone, fax or mail order. These merchants will have access to something called "virtual terminal," which makes these transactions free. The traditional service charges $20 a month for it.

The new product is being unveiled as PayPal's parent company, eBay, undergoes growing pains and looks for ways to keeps its revenue stream strong.

In January, after the company reported its year-end financial results, its stock took a 19 percent hit. eBay had forecast slowing revenue growth of approximately 33 percent for the year, compared with the 51 percent growth it posted for 2004.

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like yet another great US only solution....

And before anyone jumps around too much in happy exitement, it is not as easy to get as a standard paypal account and it does require a registrated business and financial standing documentation.....

And by the way, you can get about the same from Authorize.net , and the module is already in the contribution section.

The difference between a standard PayPal account and a merchant account are night and day. To obtain a merchant account you will need to be credit worthy in the eyes of the merchant processor. Since the merchant processor extends credit by paying you with little verification that you have fulfilled a sale, they are a bit different then Paypal.

I looked at the new Paypal program and was less the impressed. What is important to keep in mind when comparing merchant accounts is the entirety of the relationship with the merchant processor. Are you charged for:

1) AVS Fees

2) Batch fees

3) Non - qualified AKA up charges (this can comprise 30% of a merchants monthly costs).

4) Initiation fee

5) Term of contract fee

6) What are chargeback fees

7) Is there a funding delay.

8) Annual fee.

9) Convenience fee for Amex or Discover.

10) Set up fee.

11) Application fee.

Yes, looking at the discount and cost per transaction is a start, but ONLY a start. Of course, no merchant account is a value if the service stinks. Many Nova clients have determined as such. Do you a 24/7 client cupport number? Do you have access to an account executive? Can you verify international clients to grow you business? Can you read your statement or is it incomprehensible? Do you have access to mymerchantview for bin look up?

Yes, having a merchant account can help you grow your business, but asking ALL the questions and being an educated merchant, will add many dividends/savings for those who do the research.

Looks like yet another great US only solution....

And before anyone jumps around too much in happy exitement, it is not as easy to get as a standard paypal account and it does require a registrated business and financial standing documentation.....

And by the way, you can get about the same from Authorize.net , and the module is already in the contribution section.

Edited by Steven Allen

Steven Allen

true this may not be for everyone... this post though, is for the people who ARE INTERESTED in this service and would like a module created to utilize it,,,,

Exactly. I have 2 customers that have already requested this feature. I would be very interested in a contribution for this. Both of my customers that have requested this have said paypal's fees would be less than the current CC processing system they are using. Regardless, though some people will not need/want this option, some will... just as with the other payment options.

Shanna

I think the most natural thing is to make this an addition to the PayPal Shopping Cart IPN contribution, because that contribution already does the payment processing through PayPal's website. The only thing to add then is the Direct Payment portion where the credit card info is entered on the merchant's website.

I'm not so sure if it is a good thing to put all eggs in one basket.

Paypal is not the 'one-plus-ultra' it wants to be.

Just recently I got burned with a huge charge back from paypal and my only crime was I was not able to provide an internet trackable delivery nr.

The customer had to sign the delivery, I had the signature, but no trackable number. Read the seller protection requirements in paypal.com.

Anyway, paypal likes to freeze up accounts for lesser reasons, happened to me too a while ago and I had a hell of a time to get my money transfered.

Granted, authorize.net can cause problems too but too many merchants lost their trust in paypal.

For more info check out paypalsocks.com and the ebay community chat room for paypal.

I still offer paypal, it's convenient and many customers don't want to give out their cc info so they use paypal, but I'm definetely not interested in giving paypal 100% control over my internet sales.

Just my humble opinion

Kristine Running Wolf

I'm not so sure if it is a good thing to put all eggs in one basket.

Paypal is not the 'one-plus-ultra' it wants to be.

Just recently I got burned with a huge charge back from paypal and my only crime was I was not able to provide an internet trackable delivery nr.

The customer had to sign the delivery, I had the signature, but no trackable number. Read the seller protection requirements in paypal.com.

Anyway, paypal likes to freeze up accounts for lesser reasons, happened to me too a while ago and I had a hell of a time to get my money transfered.

Granted, authorize.net can cause problems too but too many merchants lost their trust in paypal.

For more info check out paypalsocks.com and the ebay community chat room for paypal.

I still offer paypal, it's convenient and many customers don't want to give out their cc info so they use paypal, but I'm definetely not interested in giving paypal 100% control over my internet sales.

Just my humble opinion

I agree....I have had similar incidents and had all the proof the world (shipped to verified address using fedex with tracking # and proof of signature) and still lost thousands of dollars over several orders with paypal. They like to think they offer protection to merchants but in reality they don't. I stopped using paypal about 9 months ago and do not regret it one bit. I figured many that have paypal also have a credit card so why use paypal? if a customer only has paypal and no credit card, well I can do without their business. Paypal's rates are also higher than many merchants.

Not to take away from this thread to those that seem excited about this new service but make sure you read the fine print and compare apples to apples with other "proven" merchants.

One small point....for those who have not yet read the fine print....

To use the direct integration module for cc, you also have to add PayPal Express to your web site.

The PayPal express button has to be integrated/placed before you collect information about the customer, that would be eighter on login.php or if you have skipped login on your site create_account.php.

Not to take away from this thread to those that seem excited about this new service but make sure you read the fine print and compare apples to apples with other "proven" merchants

This is what I was attempting to point out in my post. Compare, compare and compare.

Steven Allen

The PayPal express button has to be integrated/placed before you collect information about the customer, that would be eighter on login.php or if you have skipped login on your site create_account.php

wrong according to the documentation:

Express Checkout gives you the flexibility to put PayPal either first in your checkout process or on your billing page along with other payment options

wrong according to the documentation:

Do not just read the paypal express standalone documentation.

Download and read the new integration guide for the pro payment system. (PDF)

So, why don't you all just start your own PayPal bashing post and leave this one to those who actually want to use the new service? I've used PayPal for a little over two years now and have never had one single problem. It is great for keeping costs down for small, home-office retailers like myself.

I am going to try to work on a new contribution for the website payments pro, but who knows how far I'll get before it all comes crashing down :-) I am hoping to work on it tomorrow, and if I run into any problems, I'll try to post them here for a little help.

So, why don't you all just start your own PayPal bashing post and leave this one to those who actually want to use the new service?  I've used PayPal for a little over two years now and have never had one single problem.  It is great for keeping costs down for small, home-office retailers like myself.

I am going to try to work on a new contribution for the website payments pro, but who knows how far I'll get before it all comes crashing down  :-)  I am hoping to work on it tomorrow, and if I run into any problems, I'll try to post them here for a little help.

Super dude! ! let us know when this comes out

Thanks