• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping Charges question

sfera

How do most people set up shipping? by wieght? if so i have to weigh over 300 producst? lol plzzzz noo! also i have downloaded the usps contributions....is it worth installing?

what do you recomend?

Cheers!

usps is good to install if you are going to use weight to figure up shipping charges. That is all I know about it. One of my clients is using it and she is liking how easy it is to use and how spot on it is because the information is gathered directly from their website.

I set mine up by total order cost because that is how I am charged.

It all depends on what works best for you. If you go by weight you need to enter the weight of each product when you are adding them to your store. You can ofcourse guess, but that can end up screwing either your customer or you. lol

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Well, if you really want to know... I have to weigh every package as it leaves because they're all different. And I offer free shipping so I don't have to calculate anything by item or order in advance. I have averages and pricing strategies figured out to be able to offer it and still keep my margins high. Shoppers LOVE free shipping! I'm sure some know it's built into the price, but it has been a positive comment from many customers every year.

I know you were asking for a coding solution, but consider business strategy, too. Free shipping is an awesome motivator. Look at Amazon for an example.

How do most people set up shipping?  by wieght?  if so i have to weigh over 300 producst?  lol plzzzz noo!  also i have downloaded the usps contributions....is it worth installing?

what do you recomend?

Cheers!

I do flat rate per product.... and I have over 6,000 products

Ours is set up by weight. When we enter a product, we also enter the weight. Not so bad for us as we sell wine and most bottles are about the same weight. The heavier ones, we end up eating the difference but it doesn't end up being much.

HTH,

Karen

North Coast Wine Group

http//.www.winebyphone.com

we have it pretty streamlined right now, when we get new stock in, it is photographed, weighed, and then plugged into easypopulate and uploaded onto the server. The UPS XML rates contrib does a really nice job when you have all of the weights entered for the products.

Jud

what is ur flat rate

its a flat rate per product. shipping is anywhere from $0 (FREE) to $125 (Truck Freight). The shipping fee is added when we create the product in the admin console.

when i add new products and it ask for weight is that where i put it in or does the usps contib have someing else? aslo, when i enter my weight to i just put a number just 3 or do i put 3lbs?

thanks

Archived